kneedeepinsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
12:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thought I’d start a thread, hopefully this is thinking outside the box, but if it has been beaten to death we can shut er down…

anyone think that a screen protector keeps large foreign objects out of the cylinder? 2 strokes scavenge but are they able to scavenge in dirt/large chunks on the intake stroke?

would a muffler mod run the risk of this further? (Larger hole)

At least with the 550 and 562 and 572 the muffler does have an opening. But if you look it’s actually a small pipe with usually a 90 degree bend into the muffler itself. I wondered if this actually deflects large foreign matter away from the combustion port opening on purpose somehow?

any thoughts are welcome

jmester

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think it helps to keep thing out of the muffler for sure. Maybe not so much when running. But when they are on the ground or in the back of the truck. Have had a few ground guys that love to blow saw chips and dust all over the saw.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
8:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Screen is a must, in my case not to arrest sparks but to keep dirt out.
I have a couple saws without screens and I am always weary that something may have found it's way into the muffler.

I prefer fine mesh screens, a large enough outlet hole under it compensates for the restriction caused by the screen.

kdb81275

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
11:41 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I was having an issue with fine sawdust/debris getting into my Stihl 462 muffler using a Chainsaw Guy Buckshot exhaust which has two front facing tubes in the muffler cover. Posted on here and the consensus was to add a screen. I did and no more junk inside the muffler. I didnt notice a change in sound or performance either.

Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
2:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I blow my saws off with compressed air. When I do this to a saw without a screen (most of mine have none) I worry a little... Then I forget about it and by the time I start them next, have no concerns at all. If they come unglued, probably not going to be from cleaning chaff. :confundio1:

kdb81275

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
11:41 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I blow my saws off with compressed air. When I do this to a saw without a screen (most of mine have none) I worry a little... Then I forget about it and by the time I start them next, have no concerns at all. If they come unglued, probably not going to be from cleaning chaff. :confundio1:
I blow mine out too and before I do I put blue painters tape over the exhaust ports just in case.

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've considered it. I leave the screen on a 355t & 303t since the openings and screens are big enough, but I worry about the 2511t with a big hole right next to the exhaust port. I'm thinking use a Red97 2511 deflector with a screen. I also put a screen on my 2188 when I did sort if a wicked work saw style muff mod, but left the screen out of the stock hole.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
1:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag