High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Small Rail Roads, A rather unique "special" interest, Add some pics!

afleetcommand

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:25 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For some thing a little different, I've been trying to collect video or pic's of the small class 2 & 3 freight (train) services around my area. One was easy because it went right by where I worked. But others out of the immediate area are really tough to get pics. Like the "Finger Lakes" rail road, and those that go north into the Adirondack's. SO if you folks happen to snap some pics or video's please post them and where you got them....would like to see some of all those small rail road companies in New York for sure, and other states as well.

MOST have real interesting stories of how they came into being and the folks who made that happen. Some were simply because larger ones shrunk or had pieces spun off. Others are where a few visionaries were able to get investment and interest to go buy up abandon or smaller failing companies. All take guts and motivated people to make happen. And the stories are unique.

The one I can get to therefore have pictures of in the New York Susquehanna & Western. A great story and it does have a wandering past tied to an older historic Rail Road Company. Morphed through several owners and even actual track to where it is now. I was able to get these video's compiled in the following....:

Their history:
https://www.american-rails.com/new-york-susquehanna-and-western-railway.html

Please add more along with their story if you can. :)

kingOFgEEEks

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Lots of history in my area as well. My brother is a conductor for NS, and works the interchange with the North Shore RR.

There were 2 railroads that used to go through my area to get to the local coal and lumber. One branch was the Elmira and Williamsport RR, which merged into PRR. The other was the Barclay Coal RR, which merged into Susqehanna and NY.

afleetcommand

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Lots of history in my area as well. My brother is a conductor for NS, and works the interchange with the North Shore RR.

There were 2 railroads that used to go through my area to get to the local coal and lumber. One branch was the Elmira and Williamsport RR, which merged into PRR. The other was the Barclay Coal RR, which merged into Susqehanna and NY.
Any chance of pics over time?

kingOFgEEEks

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'll have to see. My grandfather has a great locally published book on the history of Barclay Mountain, which includes a lot on both the Elmira & Williamsport, and the Barclay.

http://www.bradfordhistory.com/index.asp?pageId=210

Lots of good old pictures in the book, and at our local historical society.

Also there was an inclined plane to get the coal from the mines to the S&NY. There's a good picture here: http://www.joycetice.com/booksb/barclay7.htm
beers001.jpg