Mike C.

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
1:47 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hi guys,
I was wondering if someone could explain to me what "crank stuffers" are?

In a thread posted here,someone said they needed to crack open a line trimmer engine to see if it had crank stuffers.I've never heard this before.I assume it's slang?

Thanks.

PA Dan

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hi guys,
I was wondering if someone could explain to me what "crank stuffers" are?

In a thread posted here,someone said they needed to crack open a line trimmer engine to see if it had crank stuffers.I've never heard this before.I assume it's slang?

Thanks.
These are the crank stuffers on a 562xp. I believe they are used to reduce crankcase volume. Someone smarter than I can chime in and explain. Pics are from @JoeDirt.
f712326219e33f48ef689e751b4f9418.jpg
391438e3acb1ee021c9f5d6a09c1d10d.jpg

Last edited:

Larry B

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Crank stuffers are used in 2 stroke engines to fill voids in the crank to reduce volume and increase primary compression. In the old days we mixed ground cork with epoxy glue to fill crankpin holes in motorcycle racing engines. There are also reed stuffers or box stuffers for reed valve engines.

Mike C.

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok,gents,thanks for the info.Next question,if I was to look at an IPL for that chainsaw,what would those parts be called?Is crank stuffer the technical term for them?

fossil

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok,gents,thanks for the info.Next question,if I was to look at an IPL for that chainsaw,what would those parts be called?Is crank stuffer the technical term for them?

505 13 36-01 CUP

Mike C.

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
505 13 36-01 CUP

Well,crank stuffer is definitely a more glamorous name for it.Thanks.

I really know nothing about chainsaws and the derelict you see below is the only one I've ever owned.It actually runs and I've made exactly one cut with it-a 1958 McCulloch Mac 35A gear-drive.You need muscles in your 'nads to swing that thing all day.To say it's slow,is the utmost in understatement.Think it needs to be ported?The guy who originally owned it,put a new chain on it before he retired it,or should I say,when he couldn't lift it any more.I even have the original owner's manual for it.Have no idea why I keep it.DSCN3441.JPG DSCN3442.JPG

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Every time I see one of those I think "wow, what an awkward and not intuitive way to build a saw." I know it's from the 1950's, but still looks like they took a bunch of random OPE parts and arranged them together in different ways until they came up with something that would function like a chainsaw.

Mike C.

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Every time I see one of those I think "wow, what an awkward and not intuitive way to build a saw." I know it's from the 1950's, but still looks like they took a bunch of random OPE parts and arranged them together in different ways until they came up with something that would function like a chainsaw.

If I read between the lines,I think what you're saying is that the engineers at McCulloch were the Elon Musks of their time-they thought way outside the box and truly great designs are not always recognized,in their time,as such by a closed-minded public?

Am I also correct in that I should expect a message from you asking "How much,and will you ship?"

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes, I would agree that describes Robert P. Mcculloch quite well. No, I still don't want to buy it!