High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

SKF Bearings- anyone had recent experience?

JoeDirt

Piss Jug Tosser
Local time
1:14 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know SKF used to be a good name in bearings but I've now heard of multiple failures of SKF bearings in the automotive sector, and I'm wondering if that has made it to the chainsaw world? A month or two ago a friend was telling me he put a new SKF front wheel bearing in his vehicle and it failed within a short period of time (I can't remember exactly how long, it was less than a year). And this morning I read on a Dodge forum about a guy who had SKF differential bearings go out in rear axle after just 14 months. I just want to know if anyone else has or has not had failures with newer SKF bearings. And if SKF is bad, what is still good? Koyo, Nachi, Timken, NSK?

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
6:14 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Now That’s interesting,
I wonder if they were made in China :rolleyes:

or was it down to those that assemble the parts together and a night shift spliff /sleepyhead/piss worker forgot(skipped a procedure . It has happened in many other industries o_O

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
10:14 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There have been metallurgy issues with SKF bearings in the past - there was a run of Stihl 046s produced in early-mid 1997 where the main bearing on the PTO side would
only last about 50-60 tanks. The dealers replaced a lot of them under warranty and they were an SKF-sourced bearing at the time.

I think Nachi and Koyo are still good - look for the made in Japan Nachi bearings and made in Japan or Korea Koyo bearings. I've had excellent luck with SNR also.

JoeDirt

Piss Jug Tosser
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 066 I just put together got NTNs put in it. It has less than a tank of run time on it but no issues yet.

I don't build a ton of saws (although I'd like to) but I do use and replace a handful of bearings every year for mowers, tractors, cars and trucks, etc. John Deere uses Koyo for a lot of bearings and I've never had issues with them but I've seen Peer in the spindles on the lower end models which I think are junk. I've put a handful of Timken hub assemblies in and never had a problem but I would've used SKF just as quickly had I not known. I'm pretty sure SKF was the OEM for my Dodge's front wheel bearings.

@SimonHS makes an interesting point, could some of these failures be counterfeits? I can't say for the cases I have heard of but I know I'll be careful about where I buy from because if SKFs are being counterfeited, I'm sure Nachis, Koyos, etc are also being knocked off.

farminkarman

I like the red & black ones
GoldMember
Local time
12:14 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah I have as well. Sure would be better to see made in Japan or made in Germany on the box
We use a ton of SKF bearings at work....don't seem to replace very many that are made in Germany or Italy. I have noticed a lot of failed ones that are made in Brazil....can't say that I have seen any Chinese SKF's at work. IMO, Nachi & slacker make better bearings.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
12:14 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Firstly, SKF is still a good name in bearings, as well as other name brands worldwide.
Secondly, trying to compare a brand name across different industry's is the old apple/orange thing.
As an example, back when I had a new Dodge and took it in for service when the rear end was due, the service manager told me flat out, he wouldn't take his vehicle there as the techs would pop the cover off to drain it and go over the sealing surface with an abrasive tool to clean it and put back together and fill. He said then a few weeks later they would be back with the bearings out in the rear. So, not everything is what it may seem like on the surface.
Thirdly, have never had a failure from any bearing being bad from the get go, let alone SKF which is the brand I use the most by a far margin.
Fourthly, any name brand bearing made worldwide today can be used in a saw if c3 rated. Schaeffler, Timken, Nachi, Koyo, slacker, SKF, NSK, NTN, NKN even KML from China isn't a bad bearing. Most have plants now operating in China and China outproduces the rest of the world in shear numbers by the 100's of millions. So there is "real" manufacturing of legit products in China and besides generic products there is counterfeit products in a copy of a name brand packaging as well. There's been literally entire boat loads of these seized by authority's. One way to ensure a product is legit is it will have that little square scan thingy printed on the box, fakes won't, so you can simply scan it with your phone and that product should come up after doing so. Also you can buy from your favorite saw dealership and be reasonably assured to get a proper bearing from the legit manufacturer.
Fifthly, one thing's for certain, you're not going to get a young person with blue hair and a cell phone to make a damn thing, let alone a bearing, the made in America days are long gone like DeSoto's. So pick a brand you think you might like and go with it, keyword here is brand, that's the key as I see it.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Firstly, SKF is still a good name in bearings, as well as other name brands worldwide.
Secondly, trying to compare a brand name across different industry's is the old apple/orange thing.
As an example, back when I had a new Dodge and took it in for service when the rear end was due, the service manager told me flat out, he wouldn't take his vehicle there as the techs would pop the cover off to drain it and go over the sealing surface with an abrasive tool to clean it and put back together and fill. He said then a few weeks later they would be back with the bearings out in the rear. So, not everything is what it may seem like on the surface.
Thirdly, have never had a failure from any bearing being bad from the get go, let alone SKF which is the brand I use the most by a far margin.
Fourthly, any name brand bearing made worldwide today can be used in a saw if c3 rated. Schaeffler, Timken, Nachi, Koyo, slacker, SKF, NSK, NTN, NKN even KML from China isn't a bad bearing. Most have plants now operating in China and China outproduces the rest of the world in shear numbers by the 100's of millions. So there is "real" manufacturing of legit products in China and besides generic products there is counterfeit products in a copy of a name brand packaging as well. There's been literally entire boat loads of these seized by authority's. One way to ensure a product is legit is it will have that little square scan thingy printed on the box, fakes won't, so you can simply scan it with your phone and that product should come up after doing so. Also you can buy from your favorite saw dealership and be reasonably assured to get a proper bearing from the legit manufacturer.
Fifthly, one thing's for certain, you're not going to get a young person with blue hair and a cell phone to make a damn thing, let alone a bearing, the made in America days are long gone like DeSoto's. So pick a brand you think you might like and go with it, keyword here is brand, that's the key as I see it.
Does blue-grey count?