High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Sizing bar for mill

Rednkweldr

OPE Member
Local time
9:45 PM
User ID
Reaction score
This is my first time posting here so I hope I’m doing this right. My question is this. I have a 36” mill. I have access to some large oaks that are between 60-70”. I would like to go ahead and get a 84” bar. Can I run that excess bar till I get to where I can run my 36? That’s going to be a lot of extra bar for a lot of my cuts. Will that affect quality of cut?

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You’d need longer rails on your mill. Can’t mill a 70” log with a 36” mill.

But you could use any size longer bar for your smaller logs. The excess bar is just clumsy

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
You’d need longer rails on your mill. Can’t mill a 70” log with a 36” mill.

But you could use any size longer bar for your smaller logs. The excess bar is just clumsy
He is right.

Be very careful if you have to cut with an open end on your bar. I work alone.
Cutting down the extra wide stuff to run a 60" or less is better if your not slabbing most of it for big stuff like giant table tops.
My saw runs a 60" very nice with things balanced and cutting straight with one 084 on a 60" Cannon single power head bar up to a 44" cut width on a 4' mill.
You can rip the big stuff free hand to separate the fat logs with a single bar setup. If you do go up to an 84"with a single power head you need hyperskip chain to run it. You'll never pull 404 full skip with over 175dl. I barely pull 166dl in 55" cuts with 52" wood give or take a few. Oak is tough.
Most saws need an accessory oil feed or add on.
I don't most times. 660 absolutely needs more oil over a 42" bar. Big chain takes more power so most people pull 3/8" chain up to about a 50" bar. I start with it near 42" then switch over.
You can cut doubles with good blocks and stable logs wedged up tight together or clamped somehow.

Rednkweldr

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Ok thanks for your response. Yes I am getting longer rails for my mill. I have Granberg chain ordered. And am getting a ms881 for powerhead. I have seen where others have used that. But you are saying it might overpower my saw?

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Ok thanks for your response. Yes I am getting longer rails for my mill. I have Granberg chain ordered. And am getting a ms881 for powerhead. I have seen where others have used that. But you are saying it might overpower my saw?
Just watch the amount of cutters you have actually in the wood. Less is better when you run out of grunt to pull it. A stock saw is lacking imo on a 60" bar. The hyperskip solves that problem and allows a wider cut without jamming chip. I do not use it myself. It is ONLY good for wide slab cuts nothing else. You can not buck with it unless the cut is established and even then it just sucks imo. Wears out fast also. It think it also beats the hell out of your bar and rim with bad pressure points when you don't have enough cutters in the wood. I've seen how they hop when hitting hardwood knots. Full comp is smoother cutting than full skip... just like always.

Lot more to this than meets the eye with very big stuff. Use the best consumables you can get your hands on. Bars, chain, mix oil, bar oil and open that stock mufkin to let it breathe. That should make the saw run even fatter. Have a good handle on heat, long runs and keeping things from cooking is the key to a fat good tune on your power head. You can smoke one in about thirty seconds so beware. This is nothing like bucking large rounds so don't tune for that go fatter.