Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
1:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sheath Serendipity

Sheaths protect the edge of an axe and anything it comes in contact with.. Was looking for a cheap, simple way to make sheaths for some STIHL Forestry axes. Thought about fire hose, leather from old boots, corrugated lawn signs, bleach bottle plastic, . . .

My local STIHL dealer happened to have some of the old school saw sheaths on clearance, so I tried the same thing I did with our pole saw, using zip ties, para cord, and cord locks to hold it in place. Simple, cheap, hard to lose, brand consistent, and you can still pound wedges if you route the cord lock to the side.

IMG_3799 - Version 2.jpg
IMG_3800 - Version 2.jpg
IMG_3801 - Version 2.jpg

Philbert

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:47 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You can buy leather sewing/rivet tool kits on EBay fairly cheap these days that include all the punches and tools to do leather work. Press studs even pattern punches are very affordable. Then you could make easy simple leather sheaths that people would pay good money for and be custom made to any axe pattern you need. I'm sorry Phil, I just don't like the direction your heading with scabbards & zip ties. There are many ways and basic patterns to make a good custom leather sheath. Have a look at what some guys are selling on eBay for inspiration. The leather tools, studs & stock are very affordable. You could sell 5 sheaths & pay for all your tools.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm sorry Phil, I just don't like the direction your heading with scabbards & zip ties.
No problem. No offense.

I had to find something fast, simple, easy, and cheap for my volunteer groups: I have little control over them, and they tend to lose things a lot. These are a step up from corrugated cardboard and duct tape, single use sheaths now used, or more commonly, no sheaths. Can't justify $15+ each for commercial sheaths.

For my own use, I was looking at leather scraps from a local surplus store, with a lace tie securement to avoid the complexity of buckles, Velcro, etc. Also thought about heavy plastic cut in the same way.

**** I would be happy if this thread provokes others to share practical axe sheaths. ****

The one in this thread makes use of 'indigenous materials', similar to some other covers I made:

Pole Saw Scabbard That Does Not Blow Off in Back of Truck
http://opeforum.com/threads/pole-saw-scabbard-leash.12461/
IMG_1731.jpg

Lawn Signs to Bar Scabbards
http://opeforum.com/threads/lawn-signs-to-bar-scabbards.7491/
IMG_0162.jpg

Philbert

Last edited:

Detecta

Active OPE Member
Local time
4:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
No problem. No offense.

I had to find something fast, simple, easy, and cheap for my volunteer groups: I have little control over them, and they tend to lose things a lot. These are a step up from corrugated cardboard and duct tape, single use sheaths now used, or more commonly, no sheaths. Can't justify $15+ each for commercial sheaths.

For my own use, I was looking at leather scraps from a local surplus store, with a lace tie securement to avoid the complexity of buckles, Velcro, etc. Also thought about heavy plastic cut in the same way.

**** I would be happy if this thread provokes others to share practical axe sheaths. ****

The one in this thread makes use of 'indigenous materials', similar to some other covers I made:

View attachment 198998

View attachment 198999

Philbert
No problem. No offense.

View attachment 198998

View attachment 198999

Philbert
That chainsaw sheath is a great idea for a axe sheath. Where I live in the wet season the humidity is very high and leather absorbs moisture and goes mouldy no matter what you treat it with. Thanks for the tip.

Mkinslow

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can make them also
aac0f2af52f29bb70b90ec0120e56f92.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
2:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was thinking about buying a couple of Gransfor’s models just for *s-wordt’s and grins...probably be too damn afraid of getting ‘em dirty. Nothing like shelf queen axes and mauls I suppose...:D

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Simple but effective leather mask...Not my photo.

I can make them also
Nice.

Now, please post a tutorial on how to make them and where to get the supplies.
I have a 'Speedy Stitcher', but it is slow. Don't have a snap setting anvil. In another thread, sombody suggested a synthetic material used to make holsters for hand guns.

I might invest the time to make something nice for myself, or spend a few dollars for a commercially made one. But for my volunteer groups, I need something fast, inexpensive, and subject to abuse or loss.

Philbert

Mkinslow

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice.

Now, please post a tutorial on how to make them and where to get the supplies.
I have a 'Speedy Stitcher', but it is slow. Don't have a snap setting anvil. In another thread, sombody suggested a synthetic material used to make holsters for hand guns.

I might invest the time to make something nice for myself, or spend a few dollars for a commercially made one. But for my volunteer groups, I need something fast, inexpensive, and subject to abuse or loss.

Philbert
I will if/when I get time bud,I get most everything off the world wide web. Someone was probably talking about a kydex holster,it works great also

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
2:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Flying Fox was $49.50.
Hardened poll too...
I want to learn how to throw this thing.