High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Should I buy a professional grade string trimmer or fix the old one

Greengrub

New OPE Member
Local time
3:49 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I have a 128 ld string trimmer and it puttered out and won't start, if I keep pulling the starter chord it sometimes backfires out of the catbeurator. This is the second issue I've had with it this summer as I have been using it for work. Should I just say screw it and buy a 525l, another brands pro model, or just put my time into fixing it?

JMoney

Super OPE Member
Local time
4:49 PM
User ID
Reaction score
If you're using it heavily and having it would make you money then go ahead and get a pro, then fix the 128 at your leisure for use around the house and backup. Provided you've been feeding it decent fuel and oil, I can't imagine it being too difficult to fix. In the realm of simple fixes, please tell me that you've cleaned out the air filter and do so regularly. Dirty filter's will kill a 2 stroke. If it's backfiring out of the carb I would suspect timing or fuel quality. Not sure what would cause a flywheel key to shear on a trimmer, but go ahead and check that if you can as well as start over with some fresh fuel.

Greengrub

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
check the compression. if its good get on ebay and buy a carb for 12.00 i have used dozens and have not had one come back so far
Thanks, the primer bulb seems weak it doesn't look like it has holes. Could that indicate a bad carb, it looks clean on all sides.

Greengrub

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
If you're using it heavily and having it would make you money then go ahead and get a pro, then fix the 128 at your leisure for use around the house and backup. Provided you've been feeding it decent fuel and oil, I can't imagine it being too difficult to fix. In the realm of simple fixes, please tell me that you've cleaned out the air filter and do so regularly. Dirty filter's will kill a 2 stroke. If it's backfiring out of the carb I would suspect timing or fuel quality. Not sure what would cause a flywheel key to shear on a trimmer, but go ahead and check that if you can as well as start over with some fresh fuel.
The fuel isn't the best at the gas station in my town I always buy premium though and Supplement it with the canned premix and generally get a new gallon every few days. I clean the air filter but I could do Better job of it for sure. Thanks for the reply. I just feel like the Amount of care I put in wouldn't warrant these problems on a pro model. Also What is the difference in the pro models, are the engines part of the frame like with chainsaws?

Last edited:

JMoney

Super OPE Member
Local time
4:49 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I glanced at some IPLs (Illustrated parts lists) and it looks like the 128ld is a clamshel design but the crankcase itself is metal. The 525 is a split case design where the cylinder bolts down to the crank case. I'm not sure too much about other differences, I use my pro trimmer for clearing tasks but not heavily. I have about 3 tanks through it so far this summer. I decided to get it after using borrowing a brand new MTD re-branded Snapper from Walmart to cut some prairie short grass and it fell on it's face. Things I appreciate are metal cover where the motor meets the shaft instead of plastic (called the fan cover in the IPL). I guess the PTO and flywheel are on the same side of the motor, and a separate instead of integral skid plate on the bottom of the motor. I'm sure the 128 has a well designed gearcase that doesn't bog itself down by wrapping grass around itself, but that's a huge flaw in the MTD models.

backhoelover

SERVICE MANUAL MASTER
Local time
6:49 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks, the primer bulb seems weak it doesn't look like it has holes. Could that indicate a bad carb, it looks clean on all sides.

seems to be a bad check valve. if you have a ultra sonic cleaner that could help. if not order a new carb. if you order a new carb you will need to order a came tool adjusting set so you can fine tune the trimmer when you put the carb on

here is carb. i would not use that fuel line i would get some from local dealer
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Husqvarna-C...915160?hash=item3ad19e4ad8:g:IBgAAOSwXeJYIBY-

here are carb tools good to have in shop
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-of-8-Pa...431682?hash=item2cc2d70202:g:OykAAOSwuq9ZaBwu