Shipping issues

Pincher

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Has anyone dealt with usps in regards to packages showing up damaged with missing items?

Recently I ordered three clutch shoes off of ebay. Promised delivery date came and went. A few days later a WE CARE envelope from the US Postal Service shows up with a damaged empty envelope with the shipping label attached. Postage charge was for 5 ozs, actual weight 1/2 ozs.

Contacted seller and he set up a missing item request with usps with no hopes of obtaining items. Seller also claims the ebay money back guarantee does not cover this issue. Suggests doing a partial refund.

Do I have any other options?

bagpipingtrucker

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
9:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Usually all packages come with a small amount of insurance so you'll have to file a claim. Did your package have a sticker on it that said it was damaged during processing or do you know your carrier?
If you got a sticker they are aware of damage and should be able to start the claim quickly if not if your carrier can vouch for it being damaged you should be able to again start a claim. It will take time.

Homelite collector in training [emoji879]

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
2:55 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Depends on his partial refund, Then maybe I'd open a claim item not as discribed... ie you did not get what you brought.. is it not down to the seller to pack it properly, if so it’s their fault you didn’t get what you ordered..

legdelimber

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I ordered a guide bar off of ebay. Seller wrapped it in brown paper and attached the label.
Unfortunately, the seller didn't put any protective tape around the ends of it, so yep, empty paper was all that arrived.
Second one He sent, was packaged a bit better.
IF the first bar had ever turned up somehow, I'd have gladly sent him the money for it.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
3:55 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
IMO the seller needs to ensure good packing, the recipient has absolutely no influence in that and can not be held responsible.
Request a full refund and find another seller.

I am very weary sending out stuff, it takes me ages to pack up things.
I tend to double up boxes and additionally duck tape them plentifully.
I do not like items to be able to move within the box, cushioning material is being added till nothing moves.
I avoid bubble cushioned envelopes and utilize boxes whenever the item(s) being shipped may puncture the envelope due to size, weight and/or shape.
Doing the above more than often causes the package to exceed the intended target weight, and/or shipping to cost as much or more than the item being shipped - but better safe than sorry.
Last week I shipped ~14kg of goods and ended up with a box weighing just shy of 20kg - I would have kept wrapping and cushioning up to 25kg if I had felt it being necessary.

I once ordered a set of 5 axes off eBay, they were placed on a piece of cardboard which then just got wrapped around the individually moving axes and barely duck taped shut.
Needless to say that the package sported a gashing gap and luckily only one ax was missing while two more were already working their way out of the wrapped cardboard.
I contacted the seller with thorough pictures and description and he refunded the worth of the missing ax.

On another occasion I ordered a chainsaw bar among other things from a web shop.
Yes, the tip of the bar had punched a hole in the box and wasn't far away from slipping out.
I contacted the seller pointing out the questionable packing with pictures and concern thoughts - the seller seemed thankful, said he will make sure his storage and packing employees pay more attention.

Proper packing takes time!
Quite a lot of sellers simply do not bother yet they refuse to take responsibility when the parcel doesn't make it to the recipient as hoped.

Definitive Dave

Piss Rev Mafia Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Has anyone dealt with usps in regards to packages showing up damaged with missing items?

Recently I ordered three clutch shoes off of ebay. Promised delivery date came and went. A few days later a WE CARE envelope from the US Postal Service shows up with a damaged empty envelope with the shipping label attached. Postage charge was for 5 ozs, actual weight 1/2 ozs.

Contacted seller and he set up a missing item request with usps with no hopes of obtaining items. Seller also claims the ebay money back guarantee does not cover this issue. Suggests doing a partial refund.

Do I have any other options?
I would open an eBay case for item not delivered, you may win, or you may lose but it really is the sellers responsibility to make sure the item arrives even if the package is damaged, that is for him to take up with the shipper he chose and the insurance he may have paid for. We see items sent all kinds of stupid places and left in odd locations like behind a garage or with a neighbor and those items will show up as delivered so eBay will pay the buyer without penalizing the seller but if the item does not show as delivered you have a great chance of getting your money back.
Unfortunately the insurance from the post office is totally worthless, they have never paid a claim, not even the day they lost more than 70 of our packages after they scanned them in at the post office, we had to make all. Of that right with the customers out of our own pocket.
Dave

kfd518

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would open an eBay case for item not delivered, you may win, or you may lose but it really is the sellers responsibility to make sure the item arrives even if the package is damaged, that is for him to take up with the shipper he chose and the insurance he may have paid for. We see items sent all kinds of stupid places and left in odd locations like behind a garage or with a neighbor and those items will show up as delivered so eBay will pay the buyer without penalizing the seller but if the item does not show as delivered you have a great chance of getting your money back.
Unfortunately the insurance from the post office is totally worthless, they have never paid a claim, not even the day they lost more than 70 of our packages after they scanned them in at the post office, we had to make all. Of that right with the customers out of our own pocket.
Dave
1954 Marlin 336 RC stocks in perfect condition before shipping. Rifle placed inside brand new rifle case and brand new double wall box for shipping. I picked it up from my FFL and while inspecting found it was cracked between the pistol grip stock tangs, serial numbered matched original stocks. Filed for partial refund to cover replacement. NOPE denied by usps. It now has 2 brass pins in the stock even if I do ever decide to sell it the value has gone way down!

Agent Smith

Hack of all trades
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Dave
The usps literally lost two of my ebay packages in one week about a month ago. I called and opened up cases on both. After a week they closed the cases and when I called about it i basically got a big hot GFY from them when i asked if im being refunded the money for the packages. Their priority $50 shipping insurance is apparently a scam and big joke. Luckily both sellers refunded my money in the end

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The usps literally lost two of my ebay packages in one week about a month ago. I called and opened up cases on both. After a week they closed the cases and when I called about it i basically got a big hot GFY from them when i asked if im being refunded the money for the packages. Their priority $50 shipping insurance is apparently a scam and big joke. Luckily both sellers refunded my money in the end
I doubt anyone on this forum has ever heard of USPS, UPS, or FedEx actually honoring a claim for damaged or lost items. Their insurance appears to be a scam, but somehow it makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside

Definitive Dave

Piss Rev Mafia Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I doubt anyone on this forum has ever heard of USPS, UPS, or FedEx actually honoring a claim for damaged or lost items. Their insurance appears to be a scam, but somehow it makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside
UPS actually paid a claim in full for me when they delivered a brand new iMac computer in the factory box to my front porch and left it sit there across from the high school with no signature, etc. took about a week.
I fully insure saws when i ship them with fed ex, but I also try to do bulletproof packaging in a rubbermaid bin

Agent Smith

Hack of all trades
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
UPS actually paid a claim in full for me when they delivered a brand new iMac computer in the factory box to my front porch and left it sit there across from the high school with no signature, etc. took about a week.
I fully insure saws when i ship them with fed ex, but I also try to do bulletproof packaging in a rubbermaid bin

It was stolen you're saying? If thats the case im surprised you got reimbursed. Around here as soon as its marked delivered, nobody gives a fugg what happens to it after that. Just one of the reasons i try to have packages show up when im home. One day i came home and the lazy ass postal lady left my packages at the end of the driveway next to the mailbox! How they weren't stolen is beyond me. I called and asked the retards that run our local post office how much lazier they were planning on getting

dall

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It was stolen you're saying? If thats the case im surprised you got reimbursed. Around here as soon as its marked delivered, nobody gives a fugg what happens to it after that. Just one of the reasons i try to have packages show up when im home. One day i came home and the lazy ass postal lady left my packages at the end of the driveway next to the mailbox! How they weren't stolen is beyond me. I called and asked the retards that run our local post office how much lazier they were planning on getting
what was their response lol

Redfin

Meh...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is a rubbermaid bin bulletproof from a .308?

rjames

The clean beaver gets the wood
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is a rubbermaid bin bulletproof from a .308?

If a .308 can drop an elk, it sure as hell better be able to take out a rubbermaid tote. Then again, I've never tried so I can't really confirm nor deny the possibility.

If you go to the other site and ask husky bill, I'm sure he's done it.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If a .308 can drop an elk, it sure as hell better be able to take out a rubbermaid tote. Then again, I've never tried so I can't really confirm nor deny the possibility.

If you go to the other site and ask husky bill, I'm sure he's done it.
On a mfing motorcycle, even

Pincher

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Came to an agreement with seller for a partial refund for 75% of total. A little sucky for me, a lot more sucky for seller. Thanks guys for input.

Last edited: