Shindiawa T-20

JasonRKBA

Super OPE Member
Local time
6:13 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have one thats been sitting. I need to buy a gas tank which isn't a problem but it has a TK slide carb that id like to replace. They do still have kits to rebuil but I'd like a replacement. Has anyone fought this battle and is it worth $20 for a tank and at minimum $25 to rebuild the carb if I cannot find a replacement?

Thanks. Jason.

Attachments

• IMG_20190203_205424499.jpg
    IMG_20190203_205424499.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 12

KYsawman

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I have a t-20 and it has a warbro carb, you might be able to retrofit. I also have t-25 with the side carb. It always has run good with a carb kit every so often. I always have had good luck with them.

JasonRKBA

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I replaced the gas tank, fuel lines, air filter, plug and rebuilt the carburetor. After figuring out how to adjust that TK carburetor it runs really well. Has 140 psi. One question I have, the head turns constantly like the clutch is froze. Some older trimmers are just like that. Is this one of them?

KYsawman

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I replaced the gas tank, fuel lines, air filter, plug and rebuilt the carburetor. After figuring out how to adjust that TK carburetor it runs really well. Has 140 psi. One question I have, the head turns constantly like the clutch is froze. Some older trimmers are just like that. Is this one of them?
No it should come disengaged if it is a straight shaft. Probably the little spring came loose or broke in the clutch.

JasonRKBA

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It is a straight shaft. Guess I'll tear into that tomorrow.ugh

JasonRKBA

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Curiosity got the best of me. I tore it down and sure enough. The clutch is a two piece assembly with one spring connecting them. The halves hinge on shoulder bolts. Just more or less dirty and froze from years of no use. I'll clean and lube everything tomorrow. A new oem head will arrive tomorrow as well. About $60 total. Thats a lot better than $250 at the stihl store.

JasonRKBA

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I do have one more question about this trimmer. In the manual it says to soak the air filter in two stroke oil the way you do for a lawn mower. Is this necessary?

JasonRKBA

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I oiled it today and freed up the clutch. Still waiting on the trimmer head to show up. USPS tracking seems to be messed up today. Nice light weight trimmer and the rope is easy to pull so im eager to try it out. Thanks for all the input.

JasonRKBA

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I put the tach on it today and it ran a little funny. First I had trouble getting the rpms down. Ended up moving the trigger assembly back a little to get idle to 3k. Then when I hit the throttle it boggs and then catches up, eventually climbing to 7k. The service manual says it tops out at 7500 so im not obverly concerned there. I took the manifold off and opened the needle up a little bit. When putting a straight edge across it just barely touches the lever. The bogging makes my think fuel starvation. These TK carburetors are different so I'm not sure where to go. Any suggestions?

Also the head still spins so I guess ill order a clutch. The old one still has a lot of life in it.

JasonRKBA

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well I got it tuned. I'm posting this for people in the future. The service manual says the jet next to the idle is set at 1/2 turn, the lower jet which is the high starts at 2 1/4. This is just to get it running. My problem stated above was a lean situation and did cause some compression loss, I now have 120psi a loss of almost 20psi. After you get it running hold it at wot and open the bottom jet until the engine boggs and go back in. Using a tach set the idle to 3k, wot is just under 7500.

This is somewhat similar to a typical 2 cycle carb adj but the TK carbs do not identify what jet does what. Also the rubber boot attached at the cable going into the carburetor can cause a vacuum leak if it is torn or cracked.