High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Sharpening Angles

SpaceBus

Super OPE Member
Local time
8:58 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I think I've been sharpening my saw chain wrong for a while now. My first saw came with round ground full chisel cutters which I always sharpened at +/- 30* top plate angle and +/- 10* off horizontal. I started with the chintzy Husky roller guide and quickly moved on to a Granberg File-N-Joint and had sharper than new chain. When I got my Stihl MS-150 it came with semi chisel cutters, but I still sharpened them to the same angles as the full chisel cutters. Today someone on a different forum mentioned that semi chisel chain should always be sharpened at 90* to the bar. I have been sharpening my ripping chain at +/- 10* as well, but it is semi chisel. Have I been doing it wrong?

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think I've been sharpening my saw chain wrong for a while now. My first saw came with round ground full chisel cutters which I always sharpened at +/- 30* top plate angle and +/- 10* off horizontal. I started with the chintzy Husky roller guide and quickly moved on to a Granberg File-N-Joint and had sharper than new chain. When I got my Stihl MS-150 it came with semi chisel cutters, but I still sharpened them to the same angles as the full chisel cutters. Today someone on a different forum mentioned that semi chisel chain should always be sharpened at 90* to the bar. I have been sharpening my ripping chain at +/- 10* as well, but it is semi chisel. Have I been doing it wrong?
Your not doing it wrong imo. I actually file round semi chisel slightly more aggressive than round full chisel cutters to compensate for its poor performance. 30* with good hook, my elbow angled 10* or so and rakers set to the powerband of the saw. 30* cuts fast on full chisel... but only for a little while in hardwood. I prefer 25* top plate on it. Lasts longer and cuts better in hardwood.

Last edited:

SpaceBus

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Your not doing it wrong imo. I actually file round semi chisel slightly more aggressive than round full chisel cutters to compensate for its poor performance. 30* with good hook, my elbow angled 10* or so and rakers set to the powerband of the saw. 30* cuts fast on full chisel... but only for a little while in hardwood. I prefer 25* top plate on it. Lasts longer and cuts better in hardwood.
Thanks, I didn't know it was called elbow angle! I actually couldn't find as much info with google as I expected to. I guess nobody else likes semi chisel either! Do you know if anyone makes a 1/4 micro picco full chisel chain? I cut very little hardwoods, and most people wouldn't consider Birch a typical hardwood anyway.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks, I didn't know it was called elbow angle! I actually couldn't find as much info with google as I expected to. I guess nobody else likes semi chisel either! Do you know if anyone makes a 1/4 micro picco full chisel chain? I cut very little hardwoods, and most people wouldn't consider Birch a typical hardwood anyway.
Haha I’m not sure what angle it’s called exactly but my elbow just knows where to drop to get it cuttin good. If you don’t have that angle right the chain won’t self feed as well. Not sure about the little 1/4 chain. I’m sure someone will chime in that knows?

MACHINE

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Haha I’m not sure what angle it’s called exactly but my elbow just knows where to drop to get it cuttin good. If you don’t have that angle right the chain won’t self feed as well. Not sure about the little 1/4 chain. I’m sure someone will chime in that knows?
30 ° flat or 10° angle on 1/4

Can't tell that much, it may self feed a little better with 10

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

SpaceBus

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
30 ° flat or 10° angle on 1/4

Can't tell that much, it may self feed a little better with 10

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I run all my cross cutting chains at 30* on the top plate. Good to know the 10 "elbow" angle isn't hurting anything. Maybe Stihl says to file flat because most people can't handle a saw that self feeds well? My tiny 25cc saw will self feed through just about anything!

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I run all my cross cutting chains at 30* on the top plate. Good to know the 10 "elbow" angle isn't hurting anything. Maybe Stihl says to file flat because most people can't handle a saw that self feeds well? My tiny 25cc saw will self feed through just about anything!
Yup they dumb down the chain for harry homeowner. Lol

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
6:58 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don’t know of a 1/4” .043 full chisel chain. I think there was an older .050 1/4” that was full chisel. I like the semi chisel. It’s easier to control one handed and leaves a very smooth cut.