Setting Wide Open Throttle on Echo Weed Whacker

hotajax

Super OPE Member
Local time
9:18 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had to reinstall throttle cable. I just set it up so when I pull the trigger all the way, the throttle attachment on the carb is up against its stop and going balls to the wall. I didn't bother with checking it with a tach. And set the air mixture so it's running slightly rich. (Rich runs cooler). Is there some magical RPM that Echo tells you to use? Thanks.

full chizel

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had to reinstall throttle cable. I just set it up so when I pull the trigger all the way, the throttle attachment on the carb is up against its stop and going balls to the wall. I didn't bother with checking it with a tach. And set the air mixture so it's running slightly rich. (Rich runs cooler). Is there some magical RPM that Echo tells you to use? Thanks.
Did you try google?

JB-PlantHeirloom

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You did not mention which model, so, I do not know which engine it might have, but, according to the manual I have for an Echo HC-152 Hedge Clipper:

Idle Speed 3,300 RPM
Clutch Engagement Speed 4,900 RPM
Wide Open Throttle Speed (W.O.T.) 11,300 RPM

On the Shindaiwa M231 I am working on, I think it is 2750 RPM idle, if that helps.

hotajax

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
OK, sorry. I have an Echo SRM-2601. I put a tach on it, and without making any adjustments, it is within spec at idle and WOT. Lucky I guess. My WOT is 9600 with a cheesy Chinese aftermarket carb. This carb runs only on ethanol-free gas, so maybe it will last. You'rre lucky to get 11,300 out of yours, it must cut fast.

BTW, who sells Shindaiwa? I've never seen them in any big stores.

JB-PlantHeirloom

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
> BTW, who sells Shindaiwa? I've never seen them in any big stores.

My neighbor is a contractor, I imagine he bought it from a dealer, same with his Toro Titan 4500 zero turn. With the hassle he has over his Kobalt 40v articulated hedge trimmer attachment (they only sell it now as a kit and refuse to honor his broken one), he probably will be avoiding many more big box store purchases. They stopped selling just the attachment ($70-$80) nation wide as far as I can tell.

> My WOT is 9600 with a cheesy Chinese aftermarket carb.

Check to see if the butterflies including choke open all the way.

The Echo trimmers I have worked on cut fine and better then most, sort of like the Honda RM-215 lawn mower I am repairing, a pay me now or pay me later thing. I finally got the Honda running and even without the self-propelled it did a far better job cutting my weeds/grass then my cheaper self propelled Toro and Craftsman mowers. Though going by the reviews on HD, the Echo stuff (chainsaws) has had big quality control issues the last 18 months or so.

hotajax

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
9600 is the max per the owners manual I'm getting 9100 right now without doing any work. I'll take it. But if it starts bogging down, I can get an OEM Shindaiwa carb for about $50. Much cheaper than buying a brand new trimmer.

hotajax

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
> BTW, who sells Shindaiwa? I've never seen them in any big stores.

My neighbor is a contractor, I imagine he bought it from a dealer, same with his Toro Titan 4500 zero turn. With the hassle he has over his Kobalt 40v articulated hedge trimmer attachment (they only sell it now as a kit and refuse to honor his broken one), he probably will be avoiding many more big box store purchases. They stopped selling just the attachment ($70-$80) nation wide as far as I can tell.

> My WOT is 9600 with a cheesy Chinese aftermarket carb.

Check to see if the butterflies including choke open all the way.

The Echo trimmers I have worked on cut fine and better then most, sort of like the Honda RM-215 lawn mower I am repairing, a pay me now or pay me later thing. I finally got the Honda running and even without the self-propelled it did a far better job cutting my weeds/grass then my cheaper self propelled Toro and Craftsman mowers. Though going by the reviews on HD, the Echo stuff (chainsaws) has had big quality control issues the last 18 months or so.
What is "HD"? You said reviews on HD.

JB-PlantHeirloom

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
HD = Home Depot which sells Echo tools, HF = Harbor Freight, NT = Northern Tools, etc.

hotajax

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@JB-PlantHeirloom
Question: The newer handles on Echo string trimmers - the ones that are a half-circle- will they fit on an older Echo trimmer that has the U-shaped handle? I really want to hang on to the old one, it is lighter than the newer ones in the same horsepower range. I believe my engine has plenty of life left in it.

JB-PlantHeirloom

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@JB-PlantHeirloom
Question: The newer handles on Echo string trimmers - the ones that are a half-circle- will they fit on an older Echo trimmer that has the U-shaped handle? I really want to hang on to the old one, it is lighter than the newer ones in the same horsepower range. I believe my engine has plenty of life left in it.

> the ones that are a half-circle- will they fit on an older Echo trimmer that has the U-shaped handle?

Sorry, no clue, and I do not have one around here at the moment to test.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As I recall, 9600 is about right for WOT on a straight shaft Echo. The bent shaft ones go about 1000 slower. Also, I think the tube diameter has been the same since the early 90's so the new style handle should work. The earlier ones used a skinnier tube.

hotajax

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As I recall, 9600 is about right for WOT on a straight shaft Echo. The bent shaft ones go about 1000 slower. Also, I think the tube diameter has been the same since the early 90's so the new style handle should work. The earlier ones used a skinnier tube.
With the current carb ( made in Peoples Republic of China, our over lords ) I can only get about 9100 rpms out of her, and the throttle is all the way up against the stop. I have a Chinese Torch spark plug, so I'll replace that with a genuine NGK. Maybe I can get it to rev higher. Already using 94 octane fuel.

Any chance a real Echo or Shindaiwa carburetor could kick out more fuel for me?

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would think so. Now, are you happy with the way it cuts right now? If so I wouldn't worry about it.

AVB

Super OPE Member
Local time
8:18 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Echo SRM-2601 Specs

upload_2022-8-14_21-58-2.png
So you are at Spec for string head. String head size and string length will affect max speed.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On a weed eater, I've always been more concerned with it not losing rpms while in the thick of the cut rather than max rpm.

hotajax

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On a weed eater, I've always been more concerned with it not losing rpms while in the thick of the cut rather than max rpm.
Yeah, that's what I'm after - maintaining high R's while you're in the thick stuff. The string I've been using has been great, long as the rpms are up there. Maxpower brand trimmer line. Very good stuff.