Sentimental rebuild

JT78

Super OPE Member
Local time
5:40 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So I am just wondering if I'm the only one. I have a saw that was left to me from a very close person in my life who died last year. I am just now getting around to rebuilding the saw and man I'm gonna end up spending more to rebuild this saw than it's ever gonna be worth money wise. I already ordered all the parts and am going through with the rebuild. The fella who left it to me was like a second dad and my dad's best friend. I think I'm gonna send the saw to my dad after it's done.

David Young

Safety First !!!!!!
Staff member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I absolutely have done the same. I did a free rebuild on a 372 that was a friends dads saw just finished it up.

what saw is it. Any pics?

JT78

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's an old 55 rancher it had an open port piston and cylinder that's scored. I appreciate the offer up of parts I already ordered everything to do the rebuild but if I run into any snags I will ask for help. Also I am replacing the top end with the closed port oem piston and cylinder. Once it's done I will post some video.

ElevatorGuy

It’s up and down ;)
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got my uncles 67 homelite blue ez, Need to find someone to send it too. Hasn’t run in many years if I had to guess.

David Young

Safety First !!!!!!
Staff member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Lol reminds me of another time this kid 16-17 yo tried to get his grandfathers 028 running. It needed so much work, scored bearings seals carb fuel line…. I put his covers on an 028 I had and gave it back to him. He was super happy

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hold the phone55s aint old lol.
There's a couple real good topics on here about them.
In them they mentioned consumable parts, I find this true with the partition, impulse pipe, intake boot and others I'm not thinking of. And them darn drywall threaded carb screws.
I'll see if I might find the threads.

Husqvarna 50/51/55 repair thread. | Outdoor Power Equipment Forum (opeforum.com)

See if this works.

Last edited:

JT78

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hold the phone55s aint old lol.
There's a couple real good topics on here about them.
In them they mentioned consumable parts, I find this true with the partition, impulse pipe, intake boot and others I'm not thinking of. And them darn drywall threaded carb screws.
I'll see if I might find the threads.

Husqvarna 50/51/55 repair thread. | Outdoor Power Equipment Forum (opeforum.com)

See if this works.
This one was fried but I think the cause was the spark plug hole being stripped so it m replacing all the rubber and putting a new p&c on it as well as a carb rebuild I did one of these for myself several years ago. After I get this one together and make sure everything functions I will pull it back apart and do some porting on it.

KingCobra98

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
4:40 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So I am just wondering if I'm the only one. I have a saw that was left to me from a very close person in my life who died last year. I am just now getting around to rebuilding the saw and man I'm gonna end up spending more to rebuild this saw than it's ever gonna be worth money wise. I already ordered all the parts and am going through with the rebuild. The fella who left it to me was like a second dad and my dad's best friend. I think I'm gonna send the saw to my dad after it's done.

I'm in the same boat. I'm rebuilding a Poulan 1800. It was my uncles favorite little saw so I said why not.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I love the 55s. Not many agree but I use mine way more than my 346s. They just work and they’re tough I’ve got another box of 55 to build whenever I get around to it

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The topics I linked they mention consumable parts.
Last one I worked on the stihl carb studs were pulling out of the partition letting carb leak.
I tried three used partitions to find one that passed vac. I think that impulse stub wears from heat?
(no dealers here have it)
Then I drilled and tapped for 5mm thread repair inserts.
Rather than use the stihl carb studs, I used case bolts from a donor 55.
Now the carb stuff can be installed or removed as a unit, like it's meant to be.

JT78

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So what size is the elusive nut that holds the air filter in place I seen in the other thread where someone said 5mm but they didn't specify the thread size. This one is missing that nut and I need to get one.

JT78

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well I thought I ordered a closed port kit but apparently I ordered an open port.
So question does the nub on the piston serve any purpose ? PXL_20221007_212533665.jpg