Selling firewood costs

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
1:39 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wondering how you all charge for firewood. Its just a hobby for me.
Currently i sell for 80 (canadian funds) a face cord. Minimum 20 for delivery. But what i am wondering is if its a little further should i just try to charge what i am using in fuel? Or should i charge little more to cover wear and tear too?

Now the other week i sold a load that was only cupple minutes from house and i just waived the delivery fee. Would you do that or charge it anyhow?

Do you charge if they want help stacking?

Just curious how you all charge?

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Funky sawman

Pony Power
Local time
10:39 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I divide any sell price in my wood into 3. So if I get 300 a cord, I get 100, my truck 100 and my equipment 100. Last year I was selling firewood off the property for 300 a cord split and delivered. I would charge an extra 35 to stack. My cords are 128 cu ft. I don't know what a face cord is

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I divide any sell price in my wood into 3. So if I get 300 a cord, I get 100, my truck 100 and my equipment 100. Last year I was selling firewood off the property for 300 a cord split and delivered. I would charge an extra 35 to stack. My cords are 128 cu ft. I don't know what a face cord is
Face cord is i row 4 feet high and 8 feet long

big_eddy

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We sell ~50 full cords only, delivered. We factor in a max of 25km in our pricing. We will NOT deliver 26km or further for any amount. More than enough demand inside that radius.

We charge the going rate around here which seems to be $325-350/cord. We buy logs which amounts to $160/cord. After misc equipment, repairs, consumables and fuel (saw, splitter and truck) we ended up keeping about $100/cord. I was surprised how quickly the fuel and consumables added up.

We don’t offer stacking, but my son did when he was in the business. He figured he could stack a cord in under an hour, and he wanted $30/hr, so that is what he charged. Unless the stack was around back, he was usually done in ~45 mins

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rocketnorton

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:39 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
logs can be had for bout $100. cord
i get $500. c/s/s here
del is on top
mostly city slickers n campers
have had few ppl tell me of 250 cords, i say fill yer boots, im not workin for free
some of those have gone over there, and come back to me for whatever reason
usually have fir or alder, lil maple n birch sometimes
last load of fir was free delivered from tree co.
50" @ butt, 2 big ones are 19'

IMG_1852.JPG

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You guys ever got screwed over on a wood sale? I made the mistake of being too nice i guess. Guy ordered 10 face cords. Delivered first 4 and he handed me cash. All good. Second load he handed me 200. Said he was little short. Never made it to the bank. Last load he wasnt ther. I called him and he said he got called to work. Ok fine. He agreed to meet me on the monday to pay me. Fast forward over 4 weeks later and dozens of excuses still ows me 280. What would yas do. I know im kinda shi t outta luck but man i would love to go flatten his tires.
Oh and i was trying to be nice and waved the delivery fee since it was on the way to my work.
Never again will i deliver without being paid on spot or wave a delivery fee.
Thanks for letting me vent.

redline4

I'm huge in Japan
Local time
12:39 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You guys ever got screwed over on a wood sale? I made the mistake of being too nice i guess. Guy ordered 10 face cords. Delivered first 4 and he handed me cash. All good. Second load he handed me 200. Said he was little short. Never made it to the bank. Last load he wasnt ther. I called him and he said he got called to work. Ok fine. He agreed to meet me on the monday to pay me. Fast forward over 4 weeks later and dozens of excuses still ows me 280. What would yas do. I know im kinda shi t outta luck but man i would love to go flatten his tires.
Oh and i was trying to be nice and waved the delivery fee since it was on the way to my work.

Leave it in the truck/trailer until the cash is in your pocket.

karrl

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you can access the wood pile from the road and wait until he’s gone, I’d just go and take 280 bucks worth of wood (or more) back. Or wait till he’s there and do it right in front of him.

Last edited:

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you can access the wood pile from the road and wait until he’s gone, I’d just go and take 280 bucks worth of wood (or more) back. Or wait till he’s there and do it right in front of him.
If it wasnt in his garage i would do that. If he didnt have cameras i would go flatten his tires.

As for marking it off as a charity case, i have no problem helping someone out if in need to a certain extent, but this is same as theft in my eyes. I hate theives.

I dont know this guys situaltion. Maybe he dont have any money but he could at least be honest. I could wait.if its that but i have heard numerous times he is going.to the bank machine, gonna do a e transfer, im going by your town will stop by on my way.
I really.think he has no money because he made the statement dont worry its not money. im just really busy.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
12:39 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Continue the giving of free wood by dropping off your brush. Hell maybe you have few "used" tires he could use too.

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Take a pic of his house.
Put it and his name and address in an ad in the local paper telling everyone he's a thief.

Or, go get your wood.
Bish better have muh money..
I was thinking of putting his address and name on market place to worn other sellers too.

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Continue the giving of free wood by dropping off your brush. Hell maybe you have few "used" tires he could use too.
I like that idea lol. I also think his mail box would make a great place to get rid of my dog shi t

JB-PlantHeirloom

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
> What would yas do

In the state of Georgia, I would probably file a thief by taking report with the police, file a mechanics lien on the title property, while serving him a small claims lawsuit. First, I would send a certified letter to his house demanding payment, if they did not sign for it, I would pay to have a sheriff to deliver it by hand to him at his work place.