Saw Oil Pump Operating

Kenskip1

Super OPE Member
Local time
11:42 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
OK, So I posted this on another site and it apparently did not spark any interest. So I am now posting it here. If I can do anything to make the future videos more interesting please feel free to let me know. This is my first saw related video. Ken

jmester

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:42 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Pretty clever method. I wonder if it would work on a rim sprocket set up if you took the rim off.

Kenskip1

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is a good question. It wood matter on a couple items. The air pressure might have to be elevated. It could also depend on how difficult the oil pump is to turn. Is the clutch bearing well lubricated? This now could be my next production. Oh My!

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Pretty cool! Kind of silly that an 025 homeowner saw has a better (clutch driven) pump than an 026 pro saw

All true PRO 1121 models are clutch driven adjustable metal oil pumps. The non-PRO come with either a metal (older ones-great to have around for setting bearing depth) or plastic crank driven stainless worm gear pumps.

Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
All true PRO 1121 models are clutch driven adjustable metal oil pumps. The non-PRO come with either a metal (older ones-great to have around for setting bearing depth) or plastic crank driven stainless worm gear pumps.
Troof! What I meant was non clamshell. Poor word choice.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
OK, So I posted this on another site and it apparently did not spark any interest. So I am now posting it here. If I can do anything to make the future videos more interesting please feel free to let me know. This is my first saw related video. Ken

Don't try that with a dry or cruddy drum bearing. The plastic caged bearings will melt. Steel cages can burn the crankshaft, drum and bearing when dry. Most forget under normal operating conditions the drum and crank does not get much more than 3,000 rpm out of phase with each other. Down near idol the clutch is grabbing by 3000 rpms. WOT they are locked together with no movement.

Kenskip1

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Lightning Performance, For one I do not recall seeing plastic caged bearing in a clutch. There may be some but I have not viewed any as of yet. If my saw had a dry or "Cruddy" bearing then I would remove and clean or replace it. What do you take me for? Steel cages can burn the crankshaft doing a 20 second non running engine? What heat is being generated buy blowing air across the face of the clutch? And yes I am more than familiar with clutch operations. I have been working on saws for over 25 years. Why didn't you come up with this method to check out the operation of an oil pump? Your reply is an insult to me intelligence.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Lightning Performance, For one I do not recall seeing plastic caged bearing in a clutch. There may be some but I have not viewed any as of yet. If my saw had a dry or "Cruddy" bearing then I would remove and clean or replace it. What do you take me for? Steel cages can burn the crankshaft doing a 20 second non running engine? What heat is being generated buy blowing air across the face of the clutch? And yes I am more than familiar with clutch operations. I have been working on saws for over 25 years. Why didn't you come up with this method to check out the operation of an oil pump? Your reply is an insult to me intelligence.
Oh so sorry... about your intelligence.
Most new users reading your post might not know about such things.
I've watched guys blowout bearings drying them with air at 150 psi. It does damage dry bearings so no harm on putting that out there.
Most of my Stihl pro saws do not have a steel cage on the drum bearing.
We did this as kids to check out the old Homey saws. Sorry to disappoint you, again.
Have a snickers

Kenskip1

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I happen to enjoy a Snickers from time to time. Your apology has been cheerfully accepted. I understand individuals with lesser knowledge making insipid comments from time to time. It is simply a matter of fear on there part in an attempt to overpower a deficiency of general knowledge.
BTW sir, I am being polite and not disrespectful, so please have a good day.

BuckthornBonnie

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Many models have plastic caged needle bearings as part of the clutch/drum system.

Kenskip1

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Funny but all my saws have steel caged roller bearings. My 041,028,025 for the stihls.51, and 55 Huskies. 352,452, 490,550P, 590 Echo's all have the steel rollers. I am sure that you are right however,, I have not seen them. I take this back. I think I did see one on a stihl 029 however I could be mistaken.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Funny but all my saws have steel caged roller bearings. My 041,028,025 for the stihls.51, and 55 Huskies. 352,452, 490,550P, 590 Echo's all have the steel rollers. I am sure that you are right however,, I have not seen them. I take this back. I think I did see one on a stihl 029 however I could be mistaken.
It all good.
Enjoy your evening

Kenskip1

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Lightning Performance. Thank you for the kind words, however my evening will not be a happy one. I have prostate cancer. Tomorrow I will have a biopsy to make a determination on the severity of the cancer at a collage hospital. Here is my score PI-RADS= 4/5. If you would like google this. Anyway they will insert a CT scanner you can imagine where, and use the MRI scans to guide the doctor to get the samples. When the doctor locates the suspected samples he shoots his harpoon into it and gets the required cancer specimen. I have one spot the size of a large pea, and the second is the size of a grape. Then I will have to wait a week to ten days for the results. I have a lot on my mind lately and I wish to apologize for my rude behavior. I hope that you will understand. Ken

Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good luck Ken. Most men die with prostate cancer, not From prostate cancer. It does suck nonetheless

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:42 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Been there, done that. The biopsy is a pain, like for real. After the anesthesia wears off you are going to want a pill or two.

Eventually, I had to have the prostrate cut out. Not much fun, but hey it was REAL!

That was three years ago and the PSA has remained at a minimum, they got it all.

Kenskip1

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for the wishes however,, todays biopsy was a 100% flop. I arrived at the destination on time and in good humor. Blood was drawn and urine specimen collected. Then I was requested to undress and put on the fashionable hospital gown. To cut to the chase the machine went down. I drove 97 miles one way. On April 2nd I was supposed to have an MRI. The Semen MRI machine went down. However they had a back up and the procedure was completed. So now we wait for the machine to be repaired.