Saw Maintenance Thread

PJLink

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
1:43 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was looking through the air filter thread (some crusty ones in there! LOL) and thought it could be fun to do a saw maintenance thread to see what everyone does.

I'll go first. Keep in mind i tend to be a little on the obsessive side of things, ok a lot LOL. I do this after a job is complete, if its multiple days then i'll do this after im done - or every two-three days depending on condition.

1. Remove bar and chain
2. Scrape out bar grooves and clear oil holes, inspect chain
3. Clean/ blow off clutch cover of all debri
4. Clean/blow off clutch/sprocket area and wipe down
5. Close choke and remove engine cover
6. Bow off/clean cover
7. Remove and blow off/clean air cleaner
8. Cover carb hole with finger while choke is closed and blow out area with compressed air. Inspect area for any obvious signs that require attention.
9. Reassemble all components
10. Flip bar and re-install chain. Adjust, and sharpen if needed (Usually always touch it up)
11. Re-fill gas & oil
12. Run saw for a minute, make sure oiling well - i like more oil.

If i know that i wont be cutting for a while, then i'll dump the gas, start the saw and let the carb run dry and slack the chain to keep pressure off bearings, crank etc.

What do you all do for saw maintenance???

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
1:43 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I pretty much try to make mine look new as posible when done.
Pull bar and chain sharpen / touch up chain. Clean bar groove then blow out.blow as much as i can from clutch cover and clutch area. Blow entire saw. Pull filter blow it out. Cover carb and blow that area put. Every 5 or 6 tanks re greese the clutch needle bearing. After all blown out i start whiping with rag and re assembling. Greese bar tip if greesable.
Once all togeather i spray nine the saw and whipe clean.

If i am planning on using saw couple days in a row i will just blow out quick ( filter too) and sharpen chain.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Pincher

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:43 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
And now the other end of the spectrum. I do #11.
I will do bar/chain/clutch cover maintenance if I need to remove chain for rocking. Air filter/carb area maintenance when it 4strokes in the cut.

I do the complete list when it too miserable outside and need something to do.

Cowboy3688

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
If we're runnin' perty hard I touch up the chain first sign of dust when I filler up with gas/oil, if it ain't broke I dont bother it till I finish the job. Once the jobs done I take all the covers off and blow em out with the air hose and clean perty good, dress bars, sharpen chains,clean up air cleaners, look fer anything needin' attn, put top covers on filler up with non ethanol gas crank it, check oilin', put bar and chain back on it, give it a fine tune, put it in its little house and not put more chain oil in it till I git ready to put it on another contract....

Cowboy3688

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Lol...Even knowing I need a stout saw to turn my chain I really take extra time on the chain...I want it to look like Edward Scissorshands walkin through a privett hedge when my saws runnin...

Xr650jkallen

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I keep a small chip brush with my fuel can and knock the dust off every fill up. Touch up the chain when the chips dont suit me. Clean the air filter and lube the clutch bearing every 5 to 6 tanks. Change the fuel filter and lines once a year. Dress the bar as needed.