Saw backstory thread

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
5:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Since @Sagebrush33 started the saw naming thread, I figured it would be fitting to create a saw backstory thread. This is "Smokin' Sally", she led a hard life working for a local tree company who abuses the hell out of their saws. If I recall correctly, she was on her 5th top end when the crankcase bearings gave out and she was abandoned at the shop. She resided there for about a year getting stripped to fix their other 461's before the shop closed. I bought her off the owner, brought her home, and completely rebuilt her. When I test fired her she cranked right up with maybe 5 pulls. I let her sit for 4 months and fired her up tonight, first pull with the choke on and she fired right up. Her name is due to the fact that when I fired her up tonight she blew a smoke cloud that would make my brother's 7.3 blush.
e878068f-250f-4149-bf4a-0c19e5840abe-jpeg.851646

IMG_7260.jpeg IMG_7263.jpeg

Last edited:

Sagebrush33

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
8:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
This is a pretty cool thread. I'm glad to see you rescued this saw that otherwise would have been totally cannibalized or sent to the land fill.

Will be interesting to hear more saw backstories from more members.
Good show friend.

Firewood Hoarder

Just a firewood hack
GoldMember
Local time
7:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
20210702_170102.jpg I give you "The Dump Saw." It's the Sears and Roebuck on top of the large ash round. The saw is identical to the mostly restored David Bradley on the ground, and I believe both saws are copies of a Strunk 3-19. Power Products AH47 engines, gear drive, and 1/2" chain.

Not a real original name, but I was on a vintage saw kick last year, snapping up every older saw I could for cheap. I was riding along with my buddy to a local dump to see what the rich people had thrown out, and we were joking about finding a big Mac gear drive or something cool.

We turn into the parking lot, talk to the folks running the place a minute, and pull in back. Low and behold, there is a big yellow-ish saw on the ground next to the scrap metal dumpster! It ended up being a pretty solid day of picking...

Once we got back to my buddy's place, we squirted some premix down the carb, and this saw fired on the first pull. All it needed was a good carb cleaning and a sharp chain. I don't think I will ever fully restore it; I kind of like the patina.

Last edited: