Savage model 308

ramrat

Circle T Outdoor Services
Local time
4:03 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
9EF7C736-C4AA-4D2D-90BC-503607C2F63C.jpeg 24542E2A-DAE6-4F48-942A-5C8F6F6B8CC8.jpeg 3664711E-1369-43DF-A501-8CB3702271EC.jpeg I have been looking for a 30-06 left hand bolt action for a while know and cant find jack in stock. They are telling tikka are 2 years out. So today I found a savage model 11 in 308 locally for sale used with a bushnell scope on it. When out shopping with the wife yesterday I found lots of 308 ammo on the shelves. I promised to take a buddy of mine out proghorn hunting next year so I need to get a rifle for next fall. What do you guys think of this gun?

ramrat

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not much different than a 30-06, maybe 50-100 FPS slower. I’d try and find better glass for it
The only reason I was looking for a 30-06 is I have ammo already and reloading dies for it. I have a remington 760 pump in 30-06 but its not a good long range gun.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
5:03 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The only reason I was looking for a 30-06 is I have ammo already and reloading dies for it. I have a remington 760 pump in 30-06 but its not a good long range gun.
I have the same 30-06. The shorter barrel on the 760 probably shoots a similar speed as the .308

ramrat

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have the same 30-06. The shorter barrel on the 760 probably shoots a similar speed as the .308
Kevin, did you get a deer?

Funky sawman

Pony Power
Local time
2:03 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yep, definitely get a better optic, I'm partial to Leupold and burris in that order myself. Those Savage rifles can typically out shoot the shooter

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes, that is the perfect all around hunting rifle and left handed no less. Looks like you already have some good rings and bases on the rifle so I would put that Bushnell on Fleabay and shop for a better scope. Right now you can get a great deal on a Burris Fullfield II which is probably the best sub-$300.00 scope out there. I have one on my 6.5 and love it, I honestly think it is comparable to the Leupold VX-3 which I also have. Vortex Diamondback is another excellent lower priced choice.

huskihl

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes, that is the perfect all around hunting rifle and left handed no less. Looks like you already have some good rings and bases on the rifle so I would put that Bushnell on Fleabay and shop for a better scope. Right now you can get a great deal on a Burris Fullfield II which is probably the best sub-$300.00 scope out there. I have one on my 6.5 and love it, I honestly think it is comparable to the Leupold VX-3 which I also have. Vortex Diamondback is another excellent lower priced choice.
I picked up some Vortex Diamondback 10X42 binoculars and they are definitely fine pieces of glass. $250 versus probably $5 to 600 for comparable Leupolds

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You can get a 1" tube Vortex Diamondback 3.5-10x50 SFP with Dead Hold BDC MOA reticle for around $250...prob less at some places. Excellent scopes for da coin...would be just fine for that .308.

ramrat

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks guys I hope to be picking it up next week. I will be putting a vortex on it. I have 4 of them so far on other guns I have . @huskihl I have the same binoculars as you. Don't sure if I like them or if there is something wrong with them.

huskihl

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks guys I hope to be picking it up next week. I will be putting a vortex on it. I have 4 of them so far on other guns I have . @huskihl I have the same binoculars as you. Don't sure if I like them or if there is something wrong with them.
There is possibly something wrong with them. I have a Zeiss scope on my rifle and they are as clear as that

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Vortex Diamondback 3.5-10x50 will fit right on there in place of that Bushnell. The fact that the previous owner was using quality bases and rings is a good sign, even with a cheap scope. My best friend has that same one on a .243 and it has worked just fine for 18 years now. I have a late model Bushnell Trophy 3-9x40 in Leupold rings and bases on my heavy barrel .257 Roberts and it has served me well.

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Another good scope for the coin...the Vortex Crossfire II 6-24x50 AO with 30MM tube can be had for the same coin as the Diamondback 3.5-10x50 that I mentioned earlier. Same Dead-Hold BDC MOA reticle.

Last edited:

Funky sawman

Pony Power
Local time
2:03 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The main reason I prefer Leupold is their warranty. I got passed down a used vx2 1-4 about 25 years ago. I put it on a brno zkk602 in 375 h&h and my female roommate at the time got pissed at me, grabbed the rifle by the barrel and swung it like a baseball bat, the rear of the stock and inlet Bell of the scope hitting the floor and broke the scope in two, along with the stock shattering at the pistol grip. Sent the scope to Leupold expecting to pay for the damage, all they wanted is return shipping paid and tell them the story!
Fast forward, that scope has been on a 338 win mag, a mk5 wby in 458 Lott, and a custom Ruger no1 in .500 A-Square. The big .50 Cal round had a brisk amount of recoil, enough to shake the lenses out of the scope! Leupold fixed the scope again at no charge!
I still have that scope on a 350 rem mag now and will never look back.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 317577 View attachment 317575 View attachment 317576 I have been looking for a 30-06 left hand bolt action for a while know and cant find jack in stock. They are telling tikka are 2 years out. So today I found a savage model 11 in 308 locally for sale used with a bushnell scope on it. When out shopping with the wife yesterday I found lots of 308 ammo on the shelves. I promised to take a buddy of mine out proghorn hunting next year so I need to get a rifle for next fall. What do you guys think of this gun?

I tell ya what I think, seeing as you asked. Savage makes a very accurate firearm, that's the good news. If I was in this situ, I would go get a set of dies, take that jack handle off the top of it and go to a competent gunsmith and have both rifle and dies reamed out to 308 Ackley Improved. This will give you a bit of extra snot for the longer range shooting you will encounter. As an upside your brass will last longer after this is done. Next replace that jack handle with a real rifle scope. you should be spending way more on the scope than the gun to have something worth having. Only three country's have the best capability's at fine glass, America, Germany and Japan with some other European country's being right in there as well. There is a slough of goofy named new scopes out there which for the most part China made crapola. Take your time look for sales and even a used unit with a unlimited warranty such as Leupold is still a good decision. This applies to the rest of the glass for the hunt, binoculars, range finder and spotting scope. I buried a spotting scope under a rotting stump out west on a elk hunt as it wasn't even worth packing out as poorly as it was. On another around that same year ended up using a buddy's Leica rangefinder with one eye was better than a bargain binocular. I learned the hard way, you don't have to if you don't want to. Cry once at the point of purchase is my advice. Lastly you will need something to steady that shot in the field such as a good usable sling, shooting sticks or bipod. Practice with your rig before your trip and actually shoot as far as the computer program says your bullet will reasonably go. also have a wind deflection worked out in 10 mph increments so as to be easily figured in the field. Good luck in the new normal accomplishing this.

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I tell ya what I think, seeing as you asked. Savage makes a very accurate firearm, that's the good news. If I was in this situ, I would go get a set of dies, take that jack handle off the top of it and go to a competent gunsmith and have both rifle and dies reamed out to 308 Ackley Improved. This will give you a bit of extra snot for the longer range shooting you will encounter. As an upside your brass will last longer after this is done. Next replace that jack handle with a real rifle scope. you should be spending way more on the scope than the gun to have something worth having. Only three country's have the best capability's at fine glass, America, Germany and Japan with some other European country's bein
. Is all Leupold glass made in USA?