Ruger pistols

Stevetheboatguy

mountain dew and ibuprofen please
Local time
5:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So been lots of people talking about glock and Springfield offerings. Rather than hijack someone's thread. I figured I would start a new one.

Does anybody have input on the newer generation of ruger pistols? My all time favorite pistol has to be the ruger p95. Zero frills stone cold reliability use it as a hammer if need be.

Not in the market but have absolutely no clue about the firearms that replaced them in the new generation. Educate me please.

Steven

Stevetheboatguy

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
P95's were damn good semi-auto's many years ago...had a couple of them in the late 80's/early 90's. Always a reliable handgun and went bang every single round and were not finnicky about the ammo that was pumped through 'em.

Back around 2000 I bought a pair of them. My brother and I would snowmobile in the backcountry. We had them at all times. The conditions we put those through were unreal. And they never skipped a beat or gave us a problem. Nice to have peace of mind when you don't know what/who you might encounter.

Those things looked like heck when I sold them but believe it or not I got more then I paid out of them. Although I do wish I had one back sometimes.

Steven

Vice

Super OPE Member
Local time
6:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
My friend who knows way more than me about firearms(but is an opinionated ass) said to stay away from any of their new pistols but that again was 4-5 years ago maybe. He’s got a lot of their older stuff. I have two Mark 2s that have been our main plinkers. I’d like to know how the new 9mm are

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had a P95 and my sister still has one. The P series were excellent guns, right up there with the 10/22 and Blackhawk in terms of Ruger's best products. The only real problems were that they were bulky and didn't have a great trigger pull. Every one I ever tried was more than accurate enough for combat, but not a bullseye gun by any means. The SR9/40/45 were good guns but not really in the same echelon as the P series were. The Security 9 is sort of a replacement for the P95, but I'm not impressed with it. It looks and feels like Sccy or Kel-Tec but costs $100.00 more. Ruger has another one out called the American Pistol which is big and heavy like the P series was. The only Ruger 9mm pistol we sell much of at my side job shop is the EC9, which is in the Taurus price range.

I bought a Beretta APX compact 9mm a few months ago and really like it, paid $350.00 for it.

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The last one I had was a sr9 compact
It was a excellent shooter
The trigger pull was only 3lbs
Really too light for a carry pistol.
It came with a 17rnd extended and 15rnd flush
My brother has it now.
@41FanForLife
Has a american or security 9 I can't remember
I haven't shot these newer series.

old guy

Love me some Husqvarna
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I also have an sr22, love that little sh-t, can't put it down till the ammo is gone.
I have never liked decockers and I still cringe when that hammer drops, but i'll get over it.
It is not as accurate as old mark 1's, I must have owned nearly 10 of those.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The last one I had was a sr9 compact
It was a excellent shooter
The trigger pull was only 3lbs
Really too light for a carry pistol.
It came with a 17rnd extended and 15rnd flush
My brother has it now.
@41FanForLife
Has a american or security 9 I can't remember
I haven't shot these newer series.

I had an SR9c for awhile and it was a good gun. It really irritates me that Ruger threw the SR series off the train in favor of the American and Security series which are a step backwards. All the shops here used to sell the P and SR series guns all day long. Nowadays they only order the new models when they can't get anything else or somebody requests one.

Larry B

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like Rugers. I have
44 mag super blackhawk (3 screw)
45 colt vaquero
357 security six 4"
357 GP100 6"
357 SP101 2"
LC9
LCP
22 MK ll
10/22 rifle
All shooters and never an issues with any of them. My EDC guns are the LCP, LC9 and the SP101.

Vice

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I like Rugers. I have
44 mag super blackhawk (3 screw)
45 colt vaquero
357 security six 4"
357 GP100 6"
357 SP101 2"
LC9
LCP
22 MK ll
10/22 rifle
All shooters and never an issues with any of them. My EDC guns are the LCP, LC9 and the SP101.

what MK 11 do you have? I’ve got a blue steel and stainless steel mark 2. I never have a problem with the Blue but the SS jams a lot! And it has some pretty sharp edges I always forget to take care and my wife cuts herself on.

Larry B

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have the 5.5" bull barrel in SS. I don't think i have ever had a jam in it except for some cheap stuff that jammed in everything.

Stevetheboatguy

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Welp...... Checked out a few of the new rugers. The only one that impressed me was the mk3 replacement. That was pretty sweet. Didn't much care for the centerfires. Wasn't in the market but ended up buying a g3c. Couldn't pass it up.

Steven

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
100% agree. I was pretty disappointed in the centerfire autos they have to offer now.

We get the Ruger Security 9 and Taurus G2/G3 in at my side job shop frequently. I just don't see how the Ruger is superior in any way, it is an SCCY level gun that costs an extra $120.00 more. The American Pistol is big and heavy and no one cares about it. Also, there are some really nice guns in it's price range like the Beretta APX and M&P series that people are always going to choose instead.

Larry B

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like the Ruger pocket pistols for CCW but for a full size 9 i think there are better choices. Mine is a Beretta 992fs. But i do like my 5 Ruger revolvers

breese

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had a P95 for some time. I found it a little bulky for me and after training a friend with the P95 they begged me to sell it to them.
One of my carry's is a Smith 3906. While it is one of my older 9mm's, it has proven to be very reliable and accurate.
Besides, I have always been a big fan of real 1911's...
3906.JPG

farminkarman

I like the red & black ones
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I actually liked the Security 9 enough to buy one when they first came out, but I sold it less than a year later. I liked the price ($269 at the time), weight, the ability to conceal (same size as a G19, G23, G32). I also was impressed with the reliability with zero issues in the 1500rds+ I put through it. I didn't like the the crappy slide finish, and the crappy take-down pin that always seemed to disappear during cleaning. As for the Ruger American pistol, I don't believe it excels at anything....especially for the price. The one Ruger pistol I still own is an LCP as it can always come along when others can't.