Rip Chain for Hand Held Sawing

GBertolet

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
5:04 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Can I use a rip chain for cutting firewood length ways? Cutting down from the top or sides only. Big pieces of wood that are too fat and heavy to handle, need to be cut to manageable sizes, while still keeping desired lengths. My saw with regular chains, seem to take forever, on these kind of cuts, so that's why I am considering trying one of these. I do not intend to do cross cuts with this chain. I would switch chains for cross cutting.

I see no documentation specifically condoning or prohibiting this practice. Most info I see just refers to sawing planks only, in a sawmill application. What do the experts say?

PA Dan

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Can I use a rip chain for cutting firewood length ways? Cutting down from the top or sides only. Big pieces of wood that are too fat and heavy to handle, need to be cut to manageable sizes, while still keeping desired lengths. My saw with regular chains, seem to take forever, on these kind of cuts, so that's why I am considering trying one of these. I do not intend to do cross cuts with this chain. I would switch chains for cross cutting.

I see no documentation specifically condoning or prohibiting this practice. Most info I see just refers to sawing planks only, in a sawmill application. What do the experts say?
Did you try noodling with regular chain?

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
4:04 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Use a standard chain.

In 'regular' crosscutting , the side plate cutting edge chops through the wood fibers and the top plate chips them out. In 'standard' cross-grain ripping (from the end of the log) these positions are reversed. But when 'noodling'. you are mostly cutting with the grain, rather than chopping though it.

Biggest problem is the need to keep clearing 'noodles' from underneath the clutch cover.

Cross Bias Rip Noodle.png

Philbert

Last edited:

PA Dan

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Noodling would be from the sides and can be done with a regular chain.

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
10:04 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Noodling is a lot quicker than ripping, the only issue you may have is your clutch cover getting clogged. In which case it throws them off the top of the bar in front of you..

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
To clarify....you are most likely trying to cut with the piece of firewood standing on end which makes it very difficult. Flop the wood over on it's side and you will have much better results. A good sharp chain will throw long noodle like chips. Hence the term noodling.

Homemade

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Rip chain is more for getting smooth results. Not for speed in the cut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk