High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Replaced blown head gasket Briggs OHV 17.5hp, should I replace aluminum push rod for steel?

Boog

Active OPE Member
Local time
9:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Hi folks, haven't been around for awhile as life has me scattered in a bunch of directions. I just finished replacing the head gasket on a Briggs 28N707 engine...... totally classic failure signs. Sure enough, just like a few good you tube videos showed, a blown gasket right where predicted. Picked up 4 new gaskets to finish it right: head, exhaust, intake, and valve cover. I was all set to put it together when I took a second hard look at those rods. The steel exhaust one looks fine, just slight shine on the wear point. The aluminum intake one is slightly worn at the guide area with slight flattening on the rounded ends. I was thinking of getting a new aluminum one but one you tube video recommended just to replace it with a steel one (I assume he meant another steel exhaust one). I also thought of just flipping the aluminum one around and going for it on this old baby. Valve adjustment will take care of the slightly worn ends. ;)

Anyone have any thoughts on the matter?

Automender

Active OPE Member
Local time
9:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No expert on this but it is better to wear a simple pushrod versus the camshaft.

Barfly

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
1:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
You can use an exhaust rod.
I'd do like you said and flip the alloy one around and set clearances to 5 thou on both.
Happy days.