Remington 700 6.5 Creedmoor

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
6:20 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Uggh, I knew I shouldn't have done it. I walked into the fun store just intending to shoot the breeze and pick up some primers. I should've stayed at the counter and not wandered over to the rifle rack. Because, they had a new Remington 700 ADL 6.5 Creedmoor for $439.95 and I've been wanting a 6.5 since like the cartridge first came out. That is only a bit more than what my best friend paid for the exact same rifle in .243 in 2002, and I have read that the current 700 action is made on new CNC tooling and is more true to spec than it has ever been.

So, I put the darn thing in layaway jail, due out in 60 days. What have I gotten myself into? Anybody here have experience with the round or the late model 700's in general? I have to admit, the rifle looks really well put together for the price. The plastic stock is alot more stiff than my friend's example and it actually has a nice recoil pad on it. The rifle comes with a no-name scope and mounts which will be put on Fleabay or donated to a needy soul as soon as I bring it home. I already have a Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40 and Leupold mounts for a 700 that need to be put to use. I mean, that's a good enough reason to buy another rifle, right?

:sniper:

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
5:20 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@mdavlee dont you have a 6.5 creedmoor?

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sounds like my kind of cartridge! My usual formula for a rifle load is a heavier than average bullet at modest velocity, so I'm thinking I will try a 140 grain Sierra Pro Hunter at 2400 fps or so. I'll probably end up painting the stock too. Krylon Fusion works really well on rifle stocks as long as you prep the surface well. I painted the stock on my Howa 1500 around 7 years ago and have hunted with it every year, I bet it still has 95% finish left. I think a flat slate gray would look sharp with the matte black receiver and barrel.

srb08

Doesn't play well with others
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Uggh, I knew I shouldn't have done it. I walked into the fun store just intending to shoot the breeze and pick up some primers. I should've stayed at the counter and not wandered over to the rifle rack. Because, they had a new Remington 700 ADL 6.5 Creedmoor for $439.95 and I've been wanting a 6.5 since like the cartridge first came out. That is only a bit more than what my best friend paid for the exact same rifle in .243 in 2002, and I have read that the current 700 action is made on new CNC tooling and is more true to spec than it has ever been.

So, I put the darn thing in layaway jail, due out in 60 days. What have I gotten myself into? Anybody here have experience with the round or the late model 700's in general? I have to admit, the rifle looks really well put together for the price. The plastic stock is alot more stiff than my friend's example and it actually has a nice recoil pad on it. The rifle comes with a no-name scope and mounts which will be put on Fleabay or donated to a needy soul as soon as I bring it home. I already have a Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40 and Leupold mounts for a 700 that need to be put to use. I mean, that's a good enough reason to buy another rifle, right?

I bought a Win 1885 because a friend gave me some new 45-70 brass.
Your reason makes more sense.

Dominick club Argenziano

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
3:20 AM
User ID
Reaction score
It's a fantastic round. I haven't seen one yet that doesn't shoot sub MOA outta the box of any brand. Mine is a Savage action with a schillen match select barrel on it. Just vecbeca I had a 22-250 I didn't shoot so I swapped it over. I worked up a load shooting 140 grn berget vld. It shoots 2800 to 2810 and will put 5 shot groups inside a dime at 100 when I can shoot it right.

You will be very very pleased with it. And I would bet dollars to doughnuts you will shoot factory ammo sub MOA.

My daughter just had her first deer tag last October and smoked her first buck at 503 with itScreenshot_20171009-132304.png

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks. The fun store sells Hornady American Whitetail 129 grain rounds for $20.00 a box so I'll probably be shooting those at first. If the rifle produces 1" groups or better I will be quite happy, my shaky hands can't really do any better than that with any gun. I'm going to build some deluxe brush blinds for this season with a good view of our back field, so hopefully I can zap one with it this year. I also have a Howa 1500 with 24" E.R. Shaw magnum sporter barrel in .257 Roberts that is very accurate, will be interested to see how the stock Remington 6.5 compares.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What have I gotten myself into? Anybody here have experience with the round or the late model 700's in general? I have to admit, the rifle looks really well put together for the price. The plastic stock is alot more stiff than my friend's example and it actually has a nice recoil pad on it.

I bought a 700 ADL Varmint (heavy 26” barrel) in 22-250 a couple years ago and love it. It shoots just as good as my 1971 model year 700. The action is solid and the bolt is smooth.. after playing with some handload recipes I brought the groups down to sub-moa very easily. You’ll like the rifle! Oh, and I am a fan of laminate stocks, however the synthetic stock the rifle came with is solid, and well put together - hard to justify spending the $ on a laminate when it shoots this good and doesn’t feel “cheap”.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mine is a 1982 model, paid the princely sum of $250.00 for it in 1998 back when nobody was interested in them. First gun I ever put my name on a yellow form for at the age of 19. My 1894 has Micro Groove rifling but is very accurate with anything I have ever tried in it, including lead bullets.

blacksmith

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

The 6.5 Creedmoor is an excellent and extremely accurate round as what some of the other members here were saying. I've always been told as far as factory production rifles go the Remington model 700 has always been the most accurate, and I own all Winchesters. There seems to be more parts and pieces available to modify and tune the 700 actions from what I've seen but then again I could be wrong. It sounds like a real good price and as far as having a scope and mounts laying around that's as good of reason as any to buy a gun to put them on!

460 magnum

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I traded a savage model I can not remember 7mm rem mag for a Mossberg Patriot 6.5 Creedmoor and that was the best dissension I could've made. That dang 7mm was so freaking light I had me flinching as soon as I took the safety off. Less than a box of shells through it and I'm already shooting out to 400 yards which is nothing for this round. I am shooting Hornady Blacks though it they was the next cheapest to the Winchester whitetail's I just don't like a lead tip round to many misshaped projectiles.