livemusic

Super OPE Member
Local time
9:58 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Say one is considering a new saw.

First, is there a generic term for saws with Stihl's m-tronic or Husqvarna's autotune? Computerized saw?

If you have a saw with the old school carb, you can learn to tune it. Is the "issue" with getting a newer saw with m-tronic or autotune that you can't tune it, the saw automatically does that when it's running... and if there is an issue, you have to take it to a dealer? Is that the rub? And I suppose the plus is that if the saw is working properly, you never have to tune it.

(With some saws, you can still get a regular carb.)

Spladle160

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
10:58 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As a fan of autotune saws here are the legitimate cons I see for work or homeowner saw.

It's new technology. That's the con along with that come some other cons due to it being new that will almost assuredly be resolved over time.

Expense, The saws are more expensive, the parts are more expensive and the tools to work on them are more expensive.
Complexity, it one more thing to break, go wrong, trouble shoot when it fails.
Potentially more finicky when it comes to having the right viscosity fuel, fuel filter, clean filters but that may also be protecting the saw.
They can hide problems and make problems harder to notice and diagnose.

to me the benefits far outweigh the cons. For a long time after fuel injection was around people still wanted carbs on hot rods to make power. Not so much these days.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I currently have 15 running saws, and 4 of them are M Tronic.

The M Tronic saws have become my "go to" saws.

My house is at 500', my upstate property (Catskills) is 2,200 feet. It is nice not to have to carry a stupid little screwdriver around when you change elevation, temperature, humidity, etc.

You still have to be careful not to flood them (like any saw, if it pops but does not start pull the cord in "run" position a few times). Also, don't try "stretching" the fuel tank, as the computer is designed to protect against air leaks, and if it goes into "protect mode" it will not run right for several tanks.

I would not consider buying a new "regular carb" saw. The new 462s are not cheap, but have incredible power to weight (the power of a 77 cc saw + and the weight of a 60 cc saw). If you plan to keep it for a long time, IMO, they are the best all around saw out there.

As my Dad used to say "Quality will be remembered long after the price paid is forgotten". FYI, my 10 mm 044 will be 28 this Dec and still runs great, and I honestly don't remember what I paid for it!

livemusic

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hello Mike, the emboldened part below... I am simply curious why you would not make that statement about the 500i instead. According to Stihl site... 500i = 6.2kg and 6.8hp... and the 462 = 6kg and 6hp. So, the 500i provides more hp per kg, right? (I have no allegiance to either but I have been eyeballing a new, large saw of this size.)

I currently have 15 running saws, and 4 of them are M Tronic.

The M Tronic saws have become my "go to" saws.

My house is at 500', my upstate property (Catskills) is 2,200 feet. It is nice not to have to carry a stupid little screwdriver around when you change elevation, temperature, humidity, etc.

You still have to be careful not to flood them (like any saw, if it pops but does not start pull the cord in "run" position a few times). Also, don't try "stretching" the fuel tank, as the computer is designed to protect against air leaks, and if it goes into "protect mode" it will not run right for several tanks.

I would not consider buying a new "regular carb" saw. The new 462s are not cheap, but have incredible power to weight (the power of a 77 cc saw + and the weight of a 60 cc saw). If you plan to keep it for a long time, IMO, they are the best all around saw out there.

As my Dad used to say "Quality will be remembered long after the price paid is forgotten". FYI, my 10 mm 044 will be 28 this Dec and still runs great, and I honestly don't remember what I paid for it!

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 500i seems to be a great saw, but they were not available here in the US when I got my 462s. Perhaps if they were, I would have gone for one of each.

(I did not plan on 2 ported 462s, but opportunities presented themselves and I have no regrets)

The other thing in favor of the 462 is I believe it has much better "clean air filter" technology, which results in a lot less air filter maintenance. The power difference, in stock form, is not much (but seems to improve a lot with porting).

I generally clean the air filters on my traditional saws every time I use them, but not on the 261 or 462s.

I was in my local shop last week and they had 261s, 462s, 661s, but I did not see any 500is. When I mentioned it to the guy behind the counter he thought I was referring to the concrete saw, so I don't think he knows they are out in chainsaw version yet.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
12:58 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For me in Australia as we enter summer and the conditions change o notice some of my 2T tools need a tune big time which can be a pain in the rear when your half way through a job and just can't be assed tuning. The MT/AT tools are good in this regard, not such a problem if you have one saw but if you have pole saws, clearing saws, top handles, brush cutters, hedge trimmers, handheld blowers, backpack blowers, a fleet of chainsaws etc... you often just want these tools to work & do there job with minimal fuss. I can tune well, no problems there but it's quite a job to tune ALL my tools when the seasons change.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hello Mike, the emboldened part below... I am simply curious why you would not make that statement about the 500i instead. According to Stihl site... 500i = 6.2kg and 6.8hp... and the 462 = 6kg and 6hp. So, the 500i provides more hp per kg, right? (I have no allegiance to either but I have been eyeballing a new, large saw of this size.)
Theres not a mind blowing difference in cut speed between the two in the real world as you’d think there would be given the price and power gap on paper. Just my worthless opinion. Lol

Ford3000

Super OPE Member
Local time
3:58 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Have a look at how thirsty the 500i is reported to be.
Especially if you live in Germany or somewhere you have to use the premix
in the can.

The AT and MT seem to do better in regards to fuel, theres no pumping
a bubble either to get the system up to pressure like in the 500i, if that
goes out, your not starting your saw.

ManiacalMark

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Theres not a mind blowing difference in cut speed between the two in the real world as you’d think there would be given the price and power gap on paper. Just my worthless opinion. Lol

7cc difference and basically the same stroke, 500i is highly overrated as a work saw imo.

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
7cc difference and basically the same stroke, 500i is highly overrated as a work saw imo.

I tried a 84 driver bar and 105 on a 500 and it's not worlds apart from the 462 powerwise, Both had muffler mods. It was a little stronger on the 32" bar naturally. Nothin' you'd beat your meat over though.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

If you go to the dyno thread you will see the stock 462 performs above it's rated specs and is pretty close to the 500.

Ported 500s seem to fare much better.

ManiacalMark

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
so explain this for is in your opinion

044 046 064

It's not a sturdy built saw (only has 3 AV mounts and they seem floppy), it's not a powerhouse for it's price, more expensive off the line and to fix. I'll pick a 661 7 days out of the week over that.

stihl livin

Do the Dallas
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's not a sturdy built saw (only has 3 AV mounts and they seem floppy), it's not a powerhouse for it's price, more expensive off the line and to fix. I'll pick a 661 7 days out of the week over that.

ok guess you completely missed my previous post. The 661 is just as sloppy imho and seem to many broken av mounts on them

Ford3000

Super OPE Member
Local time
3:58 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes, the vibes are low, but that results in the bar drooping down when the saw is turned sideways to
do the felling cut, it takes a lot of getting used to and compensation, which throws you off when you
use a saw that behaves as it should.

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

No question I'd take a 661 over a 500. It's not even a tough decision.

I wouldn't trade any of my 661s in on one.

A 500s price and power don't line up for me.

Last edited:

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
ok guess you completely missed my previous post. The 661 is just as sloppy imho and seem to many broken av mounts on them

You can break the mounts on any saw if you try hard enough. I watch a 661 take a literal ass whoppin on stumps and big cuts all the time with a 36" bar, never broke a mount..