High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Red Beard Saws Husqvarna 359 / 357xp Jonsered 2159 / 2156 velocity stack & filter

Benwa

I love the smell of premix in the morning
Local time
9:39 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So I've been on the search for some time for a better alternative to the anemic stock air filter on these saws. Factory I think they're fine, but when ported, I feel like they come up short in the air flow department. There is not much, nor has there ever really been much support, for these models in terms of aftermarket anything. Well, along comes Nick Stoeckel. I saw some of his stuff early on, then kind of lost track. Stumble back across his name and low and behold......... he now makes a velocity stack/filter adapter for these models!! https://redbeardsaws.com/
Considering what a $20 bill will get you these days, I couldn't be happier with my purchase from him. Quality piece for the price & everything fit as it should. Took a little hacking of the top cover, so this modification might not be for everyone. The filter I ordered has a straight neck instead of angled. This keeps the filter out of the way and completely unobtrusive of your arms/ hands when on the handle bar and the rear grip. I don't have a dyno to do true "dyno stuff," but I'll tell you right now, this ported saw pulls MUCH harder than it did with the stock air filter.
20211009_172256.jpg 20211009_172346.jpg

Last edited:

Benwa

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I modified the top cover to fit as close to the filter as possible. This means the filter has to be removed before the top cover will come off, but it only takes about 5 seconds to remove it. Anyway, here's the top cover. The notch in the lower right is to access the clamp with a driver.20211009_172637.jpgIMG_20211009_192537.jpg

I removed two "ribs" on the inside at the rear of the cover, but kept the "forks," so that it still engages the factory partition around the throttle linkage.
IMG_20211009_192953.jpg

One has to put the cover on from the rear first to get it tucked under the adapter, but everything fits and latches down just as it did from the factory.
20211009_172754.jpg 20211009_172556.jpg

Last edited:

Benwa

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As much as I did this for the added air flow, I like that this filter is up top, out of the factory air box that is constantly packed with sawdust & fines from the "air injection" system.
20211009_183314.jpg
Should make for a filter that stays cleaner & is easier to clean when dirty. At least in theory anyway, or should I say, "in my mind." If it doesn't work out, well then, it ain't hard to reverse. I have a similar setup on an old Husqvarna 2100 & I really like the way it has stood up in terms of filtration & performance. Hoping this setup will prove similar.

Last edited:

Benwa

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Benwa

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I should mention that this piece fit snugly into the factory intake horn. At his suggestion, I put a light amount of JB WELD plastic epoxy around the "neck" before I slid it down into the intake horn. I cleaned it first with isopropyl alcohol and wiped it clean. It's nice and secure now and I don't see it coming loose.
20211009_211638.jpg 20211009_183356.jpg

Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
12:39 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Armbru84

Just trying to get by
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The thread was made for him to review and talk about his experience with the RBS filter setup.

Not sure why we need to get into why it’s a bad idea in some guys minds. If guys are interested in one he showed his experience with it. There’s good OEM options for lots of things that we cut up and grind on anyways :icon_pc:

Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The thread was made for him to review and talk about his experience with the RBS filter setup.

Not sure why we need to get into why it’s a bad idea in some guys minds. If guys are interested in one he showed his experience with it. There’s good OEM options for lots of things that we cut up and grind on anyways :icon_pc:
I agree. Sorry @Benwa if I added to the derail. I like anything that gives a noticeable boost in performance !

Last edited:

Benwa

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No worries boys. Great thing about living in this wonderful country, everyone is entitled to their opinions. I plan to update this thread further & get some real world feedback when I get some serious run time on this setup. I've come to expect the responses when/if I post on the forums. Par for the course these days. There's good in everything though. Maybe somebody comes here for the title, but sees the other filter suggested and thinks "man, that's what I'm after!" Main reason for this thread was to show people that there is an option out there now if they are interested. I figure the people who want to take something useful away from it will and those that don't, well, they don't have to.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
11:39 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No worries boys. Great thing about living in this wonderful country, everyone is entitled to their opinions. I plan to update this thread further & get some real world feedback when I get some serious run time on this setup. I've come to expect the responses when/if I post on the forums. Par for the course these days. There's good in everything though. Maybe somebody comes here for the title, but sees the other filter suggested and thinks "man, that's what I'm after!" Main reason for this thread was to show people that there is an option out there now if they are interested. I figure the people who want to take something useful away from it will and those that don't, well, they don't have to.

I think your setup is going to be great more for the gtg/play saw crowd and the nylon mesh more for the work saw crowd, so everybody wins.
However...
My question is did you oil your filter and if so what brand and weight of oil? Now that's a derail. LOL

Benwa

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think your setup is going to be great more for the gtg/play saw crowd and the nylon mesh more for the work saw crowd, so everybody wins.
However...
My question is did you oil your filter and if so what brand and weight of oil? Now that's a derail. LOL
I agree 100% I actually just gave it to a buddy of mine that owns a tree service, to get feedback. He's ran this saw quite a bit with the factory filter setup. I'm getting ready to build a 359 for him. He said it definitely pulls harder than before, but in his line of work, he feels he would break/tear it quickly dragging it around up in the trees for chunk-outs. He feels it wouldn't be an issue falling or bucking, but that's besides the point. I haven't ran it enough in this configuration myself, but so far I would have to agree. It's NOT optimal for a day in day out work saw in that industry.

Benwa

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
However...
Ha! Talk about a long dark
rabbit hole ;)
I've always used this or the uni filter oil on my foam filters with good results. Light coating then work it into the foam with my hands. I ran a 2 stage uni filter at one point with no oil & was not happy with the amount of "dust" that got through. Since then I've ran this and had no problems. Unless one gets nuts with the amount applied, it doesn't seem to pull through into the intake at all.
20211010_140328.jpg