Recoil spring

johnlate

OPE Member
Local time
11:38 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a old McCulloch 250 that needs a new recoil spring.

However, living in Ireland they are hard to come by, and any that I can find on the usual sites are from USA and cost $25 postage.

The spring casing is about 3 and a quarter inches across, (about 8.5cm) so I was wondering if anyone knew what other chainsaws use this sort of size spring.

In Ireland, Stihl and Husqvarna saws are readily available, so does anyone know if any of these saws take a spring similar in size to the McCulloch?

I know I will have to re-bend the ends to suit my saw, but that’s okay, I don’t mind doing that.

I have tried to google the diameter of springs, but can really find that information, just what saws use certain springs. So can anyone measure their recoil springs and tell me what saws they have that have close to a 3 inch recoil spring.
Any help or direction gratefully received.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
6:38 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a old McCulloch 250 that needs a new recoil spring.

However, living in Ireland they are hard to come by, and any that I can find on the usual sites are from USA and cost $25 postage.

The spring casing is about 3 and a quarter inches across, (about 8.5cm) so I was wondering if anyone knew what other chainsaws use this sort of size spring.

In Ireland, Stihl and Husqvarna saws are readily available, so does anyone know if any of these saws take a spring similar in size to the McCulloch?

I know I will have to re-bend the ends to suit my saw, but that’s okay, I don’t mind doing that.

I have tried to google the diameter of springs, but can really find that information, just what saws use certain springs. So can anyone measure their recoil springs and tell me what saws they have that have close to a 3 inch recoil spring.
Any help or direction gratefully received.
Match the width and linear feet if possible. Plenty of grease and your good to go.

johnlate

OPE Member
Local time
11:38 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Any idea how long a McCulloch 250 spring is?
I don’t even have the old one to measure it!

hotajax

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Match the width and linear feet if possible. Plenty of grease and your good to go.
You said plenty of grease. Do you coat the actual coils of the spring? Wondering why my Homelite won't retract all the way. I was just spraying it down with AeroKroil or WD-40. Thanks, bud. Hot Ajax

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
You said plenty of grease. Do you coat the actual coils of the spring? Wondering why my Homelite won't retract all the way. I was just spraying it down with AeroKroil or WD-40. Thanks, bud. Hot Ajax
I take apart damn near ever saw that crosses my bench. The most overlooked part is the starter imo.
That said you need a clean spring. Heat the ends if you need to bend them but don't expose the whole spring to heat. Clean the spring off by hand with sweat equity as you inspect it for flaws. Soda 2L bottles make great bushings if you need one on the spindle. I use actual red grease, everywhere, nothing fancy made for suspensions, Ujoints and ball joints or bearings. New QUALITY, was that loud enough? starter rope only!
Move on to the ignition system cleaning and inspection.
These are the last or first two things that get done on damn near ever garden tool I touch. Next we dickwit the "muffkin" as Steve would say. Standard operating procedures here.

hotajax

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I take apart damn near ever saw that crosses my bench. The most overlooked part is the starter imo.
That said you need a clean spring. Heat the ends if you need to bend them but don't expose the whole spring to heat. Clean the spring off by hand with sweat equity as you inspect it for flaws. Soda 2L bottles make great bushings if you need one on the spindle. I use actual red grease, everywhere, nothing fancy made for suspensions, Ujoints and ball joints or bearings. New QUALITY, was that loud enough? starter rope only!
Move on to the ignition system cleaning and inspection.
These are the last or first two things that get done on damn near ever garden tool I touch. Next we dickwit the "muffkin" as Steve would say. Standard operating procedures here.
Good deal