rebuild 302 or swap in 351?

Stevetheboatguy

mountain dew and ibuprofen please
Local time
6:25 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wasn't that problem due to a smaller thread diameter spark plug that they went to? Small diameter thread + aluminum head would be pretty easy to strip, especially for a Mountain Dew fueled flat rate tech using an 80 foot pound air ratchet.

Mountain Dew :afro::headbang:

Yeah buddy.

Steven

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:25 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got out of the business before Red Bull/Monster/etc. became popular. Pretty much all of us ran on Mountain Dew at work and then would wind down with beer afterwards. I remember one fellow was like 100 pounds overweight, drank dew from a giant 64 ounce mug which he filled up throughout the day, and smoked nasty cheap ciggies. How that guy remained alive I have no idea. I always imagined that the endless stream of dew and cheap cigs would cause him to mutate into the Incredible Hulk one day.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't drink much carbonated beverages .However being an old submarine sailor I can drink black coffee you could float a nail in and beer you could float a row boat in and never stagger .However I do pee a lot .

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't drink much carbonated beverages .However being an old submarine sailor I can drink black coffee you could float a nail in and beer you could float a row boat in and never stagger .However I do pee a lot .

Solid gold post right here!

Tell me if this is true: a salty old sailor once told me that on his ship the captain would tell the galley crew to "spike the main brake" and you could expect a bit of whiskey or rum in your coffee. Is that a thing in the Navy? He was there in the 1970's.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not really but here's what happened in the "old navy " .I was a submarine sonar tech .We used straight grain pure alcohol to clean some of our sensitive components .190 proof ethanol .We were allotted 8 gallons for a 90 day patrol and we never turned in any excess . About a half a shot in a glass of orange juice was just about right .It was sitting around every where in squeeze bottles .A little spritz in the coffee whatever .I never saw anybody get snockered on it .Other divisions like torpedo men had it too but not as much as we had .Keep in mind though all this was 50 years ago and a lot has changed in that time .

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks, I imagine being sick drunk from straight grain on a submarine would be hell. I once had that experience with 'shine on dry land and hope to never repeat it!

wap13

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is it done yet?

Waiting on injectors to get back form being cleaned and inspected. Engine should be here end of next week. After that I have to get new exhaust ran, or if I can find the right muffler I may be able to rig it up myself. The exhaust thats on it now is full of holes and mostly held together with zip ties and wire. I wasnt going to put any money into exhaust until I had it running right.

Hope to have the engine in by the middle of the month and exhaust shortly there after.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Waiting on injectors to get back form being cleaned and inspected. Engine should be here end of next week. After that I have to get new exhaust ran, or if I can find the right muffler I may be able to rig it up myself. The exhaust thats on it now is full of holes and mostly held together with zip ties and wire. I wasnt going to put any money into exhaust until I had it running right.

Hope to have the engine in by the middle of the month and exhaust shortly there after.

Stock exhaust?

I'd get a magnaflow converter/ y-pipe because is is stainless and mandrel bent. Then use exhaust from a 350 and you will have great flowing quiet exhaust.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Okay another sea story .I was top side petty officer among other duties .In bound for New London Conn in January air temp about 10 above the forward lines were fouled in the line locker .I took off my foul weather jacket off and tied two safety lines together and went below the bow wake and retrieved the line and obviously was soaked .I went below decks and changed into dry clothes shaking like a dog passing razor blades .
The hospital corpsman met me with a jug of medicinal grain brandy orders from the captain .It was only 80 proof but did the trick .That was the one and only time that happened .

wap13

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Stock exhaust?

I'd get a magnaflow converter/ y-pipe because is is stainless and mandrel bent. Then use exhaust from a 350 and you will have great flowing quiet exhaust.

No. It was redone years ago when the cat (s?) clogged up. Now its cat free and dualed all the way out. I would be fine with a 2 into 1 muffler and turn it down right in front of the axle. I would like it to be quiet but doenst have to be silent. Anything will be an improvement of what I have now. I want it as simple, and unobtrusive as possible. If its quiet that would be nice too. I drag my rear bumper quite a bit so I dont want it going that far back. I will also be building a simple pipe bumper to gain a couple inches of clearance and not drag so hard when it does hang up.

We dont have emissions here. Would it run better with a cat?

I also have no smog pump or egr if that matters.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No. It was redone years ago when the cat (s?) clogged up. Now its cat free and dualed all the way out. I would be fine with a 2 into 1 muffler and turn it down right in front of the axle. I would like it to be quiet but doenst have to be silent. Anything will be an improvement of what I have now. I want it as simple, and unobtrusive as possible. If its quiet that would be nice too. I drag my rear bumper quite a bit so I dont want it going that far back. I will also be building a simple pipe bumper to gain a couple inches of clearance and not drag so hard when it does hang up.

They do have better driveability with a cat but you won't notice it unless you put 50+ miles on it a day like I do. Sounds like you have more of a farm work truck than what I was thinking you did! :p

wap13

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Oh its a heap. Things may change with the new engine but I rarely will drive more than 15 miles one way. In the winter it literally spends WAY more time on dirt roads, in the woods and pastures than it does on pavement.

Got a locker for the rear end. Thinking of going ahead and welding the tubes up on the 8.8 and making a floating traction bar like I did for 350. This 150 has terrible axle wrap.

I would sas it but you have to lift it so much because of the engine cross member its not worth it to me. I like it sitting at stockish height. The TTB really hasnt been that bad either.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Oh its a heap. Things may change with the new engine but I rarely will drive more than 15 miles one way. In the winter it literally spends WAY more time on dirt roads, in the woods and pastures than it does on pavement.

Got a locker for the rear end. Thinking of going ahead and welding the tubes up on the 8.8 and making a floating traction bar like I did for 350. This 150 has terrible axle wrap.

I would sas it but you have to lift it so much because of the engine cross member its not worth it to me. I like it sitting at stockish height. The TTB really hasnt been that bad either.

Yeah, the stock hight on these is perfect in my opinion. There is so much hate on the ttb because no one keeps up on the alignments or tire rotations. I love how well mine rides with ttb.

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I would stop by a muffler shop in the "cool" section of the city and see what they would sell used.
Guys will take of perfectly good performance mufflers for the latest and greatest stuff.

stretch5881

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would stop by a muffler shop in the "cool" section of the city and see what they would sell used.
Guys will take of perfectly good performance mufflers for the latest and greatest stuff.

Sometimes you luck out. One time at a local scrapyard I bought 5, almost new, catback cutoffs for 10 bucks. They were all stainless, and Ford to boot.