High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Rc nitro fuel in a saw?

lovin-J-reds

OPE Member
Local time
2:23 PM
User ID
Reaction score
If anyone is a member of this forum https://www.arboristsite.com/threads/rc-nitro-in-a-saw.359171/ can you give me some help with it and if your not can you do it here please.

I heard about people running nitro through their saw for a punch and good smells but what do you need to do to the saw to be able to run off nitro. I got some 10% and I've tried mixing in a bit of 2 stroke oil but its a petroleum so it doesn't mix. Do I need to mix in some type of lubrication or does the nitro have enough? The saw wants 50:1 if that means anything. If I mess with the timing will it really bring the saw to life? Not sure if anyone watches "2strokestuffing" on YouTube or "the iornhorse". I've been watching 2strokestuffing build an engine from scratch that runs on menthol and iornhorse did it to a husky 61 and 272. Do I need a glow plug or would it run on a spark plug. Will I need to up the compression? The saw is a 90's 2050 turbo
Any help is greatly appreciated
Edward

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
1:23 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If anyone is a member of this forum https://www.arboristsite.com/threads/rc-nitro-in-a-saw.359171/ can you give me some help with it and if your not can you do it here please.

I heard about people running nitro through their saw for a punch and good smells but what do you need to do to the saw to be able to run off nitro. I got some 10% and I've tried mixing in a bit of 2 stroke oil but its a petroleum so it doesn't mix. Do I need to mix in some type of lubrication or does the nitro have enough? The saw wants 50:1 if that means anything. If I mess with the timing will it really bring the saw to life? Not sure if anyone watches "2strokestuffing" on YouTube or "the iornhorse". I've been watching 2strokestuffing build an engine from scratch that runs on menthol and iornhorse did it to a husky 61 and 272. Do I need a glow plug or would it run on a spark plug. Will I need to up the compression? The saw is a 90's 2050 turbo
Any help is greatly appreciated
Edward

Watching YouTube causes brain rot.

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Turbo, supercharger, nitrous,water injection, jet engine, porting, race fuel, 300:1 mix, piped saws, all great ideas for cutting firewood.:cheer:

QuickDrawSaw

Useless as tits on a bull
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Tried it on an ms250 a few years ago. Untouched carb with h&l turned all the way out wouldn't turn off because of how lean it ran. Pulled the carb and almost doubled the low and high side orfices. Wasn't a big gain, and you have to flush the fuel system with gas after you run it, but man did it smell good hahahaha.

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:23 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For me it's a common fuel additive I use when cutting firewood. Adds and easy 5-10% power.

Dolkitafreak

Dolkita686
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For me it's a common fuel additive I use when cutting firewood. Adds and easy 5-10% power.
Nitro methane or propane?

In my testing nitro propane even up to high concentration didn’t make power, nitro methane is a whole different ball game though.

Oh dyno joe…paging @Red97

White Mountain Saws

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Too make any gains port durations would need to be put to the absolute max with a 2 piece head/cylinder with a reduced combustion chamber to get compression back. A tuned pipe dialed in for the exhaust duration would be desired as well. The carburetor would need to be drilled to flow enough fuel. After all this, the saw is a designated race saw.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Video above was an attempt to mix NM with 32:1 gasoline. I mixed the gas with Klotz Bēnol which is supposed to be miscible with NM and methanol. As you can see, it separates pretty quickly.

NM is an oxygenator, providing more O2 for the burn. It doesn’t need spark to combust in the right setting, so it’s why the saw won’t shut off at times. It also doesn’t need air to burn, so a closed throttle plate won’t stop the saw either. Most guys keep a squirt bottle of mix around to stop the saw by squirting it into the carb and flooding the saw out as a safety.

Because it doesn’t need O2 and is quite viscous, it needs to be run super rich, jets need to be drilled etc…. The fuel it burns has to be miscible, hence the mix with methanol

RC fuel is a premixed combination of oil (usually castor), methanol and NM in varying amounts . You can get both NM and RC fuel on eBay from Torco fuels, or at least you could when I bought it.

Last edited:

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag

Dew tell… What specifically are you using? Pictures would be helpful… How are you mixing it? What ratio? Are you using Unicorn tears to keep it from separating? What do you feed the unicorn’s? Do you have the appropriate permits? I heard that if you didn’t feed the unicorns virgin goats milk their tears would be eleventy-7 percent less effektive… is this true?

lovin-J-reds

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Turbo, supercharger, nitrous,water injection, jet engine, porting, race fuel, 300:1 mix, piped saws, all great ideas for cutting firewood.:cheer:

I wanna make a saw you don't see every day and in the past I've put this saw through forced air induction with and air compressor and it didn't like it one bit. I would need to find a small turbo and try that.

https://youtube.com/shorts/edzF8-DRrf4?feature=share

It can be done, but it’s not easy or practical. There are a few here that have done it, but it’s for racing and when it comes from racing good luck getting info out of anyone!

I've gotten a bit of info but not enough. Thats why I wanted to make this cuz it's not practical, I wanna make something stand out. Something I've never thought of before.

Im also thinking of doin a 50:50 mix or 40:1 and the 10% nitro but the patrolman wont mix into it which is the hard part of it. I would need to get castor oil to mix into the nitro and then add the fuel and then it will at least get oil.

Tried it on an ms250 a few years ago. Untouched carb with h&l turned all the way out wouldn't turn off because of how lean it ran. Pulled the carb and almost doubled the low and high side orfices. Wasn't a big gain, and you have to flush the fuel system with gas after you run it, but man did it smell good hahahaha.

I got the saw to sputter a few times and it would run at wide open and I had to mess with the choke to get it to run but the bog in it was bad. When it died it could smell it and damn it was good. (I think that's my drive) What did you do about compression? Did you open up ports or leave them stock?

Nitro methane or propane?

In my testing nitro propane even up to high concentration didn’t make power, nitro methane is a whole different ball game though.

Oh dyno joe…paging @Red97

Propane? Never thought about that. It would make it easier to set it up like NOS and have a Jet but that would only work for idle or wide open. How would you get a saw to run on propane?

Too make any gains port durations would need to be put to the absolute max with a 2 piece head/cylinder with a reduced combustion chamber to get compression back. A tuned pipe dialed in for the exhaust duration would be desired as well. The carburetor would need to be drilled to flow enough fuel. After all this, the saw is a designated race saw.

How much does it cost to build up one of these?

Video above was an attempt to mix NM with 32:1 gasoline. I mixed the gas with Klotz Bēnol which is supposed to be miscible with NM and methanol. As you can see, it separates pretty quickly.

NM is an oxygenator, providing more O2 for the burn. It doesn’t need spark to combust in the right setting, so it’s why the saw won’t shut off at times. It also doesn’t need air to burn, so a closed throttle plate won’t stop the saw either. Most guys keep a squirt bottle of mix around to stop the saw by squirting it into the carb and flooding the saw out as a safety.

Because it doesn’t need O2 and is quite viscous, it needs to be run super rich, jets need to be drilled etc…. The fuel it burns has to be miscible, hence the mix with methanol

RC fuel is a premixed combination of oil (usually castor), methanol and NM in varying amounts . You can get both NM and RC fuel on eBay from Torco fuels, or at least you could when I bought it.

That's what I thought gas wont mix with it. We have Av gas (Aviation gas +100 octane and contains lead with 0 ethanol) I wonder if that would mix?

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know enough about rocket fuel to realize I don't know enough to use it .What little I know about it is if you want to play with it you need to flush the engine with gasoline after a run else it will eat itself up and never run again .It's been said anything that runs extremely fast doesn't run extremely long .As a restorative type I spend way too much time in that practice to attempt to set some kind of a record to impress anybody .What few I soup up is for slightly more speed and a lot more torque .

Dolkitafreak

Dolkita686
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I wanna make a saw you don't see every day and in the past I've put this saw through forced air induction with and air compressor and it didn't like it one bit. I would need to find a small turbo and try that.

I've gotten a bit of info but not enough. Thats why I wanted to make this cuz it's not practical, I wanna make something stand out. Something I've never thought of before.

Im also thinking of doin a 50:50 mix or 40:1 and the 10% nitro but the patrolman wont mix into it which is the hard part of it. I would need to get castor oil to mix into the nitro and then add the fuel and then it will at least get oil.

I got the saw to sputter a few times and it would run at wide open and I had to mess with the choke to get it to run but the bog in it was bad. When it died it could smell it and damn it was good. (I think that's my drive) What did you do about compression? Did you open up ports or leave them stock?

Propane? Never thought about that. It would make it easier to set it up like NOS and have a Jet but that would only work for idle or wide open. How would you get a saw to run on propane?

How much does it cost to build up one of these?

That's what I thought gas wont mix with it. We have Av gas (Aviation gas +100 octane and contains lead with 0 ethanol) I wonder if that would mix?
No, not propane, I said nitro propane. Nitro propane is an oxygenator just like nitro methane. The nitro propane mixes with gas better and generates less heat, but also less oxygen. Running a saw on nitro methane can yield good gains but it’s not as simple as turning screws and mixing fuel, it’s also very corrosive and bad to inhale or get on your skin. Get it right and the saws sure do turn up though.

shadco

Ban Hammer Custodian
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
After run oil is commonly used in RC Helis to neutralize the nitro after a day of flying and to keep the rust away.

Oh and VP is emerging as the leading RC fuel these days. Our club buys it in 55 gal drums to keep the cost down. Currently $33 a gallon on the last drum we bought of 30%.

White Mountain Saws

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
If a person has a metal lathe, and various other tools, building a nitro saw is cheap. Gaining the proper knowledge to make a solid runner takes years though. If not knowledged, and tool equipped, it to a cheaper to purchase a built saw. You’re looking at multiple thousands to have one built.

I’ve seen used nitro saws for sale on a forestry competition site for a few thousand in the past. They were selling for about 1/2 of what the build cost was at that time.

Fortunately for me I haven’t stayed up to date on competition saw prices.