High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

RapidMicro or RapidMicro3

stelario

New OPE Member
Local time
10:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
hello i am from Greece and i have ms260 chainsaw. I want to change the chain and the guide from 18'' to 16''. when i bought it from canada they gave it to me with RapidSuper chain .325 /0.05gauge 18'' RollomaticE bar. Here in Greece we cut (Abies cephalonica) and someone from stihl.gr company told to use Rapid Micro chain because RS used for more harder trees. I want ask if this is correct and what is the difference between RM and RM3 chain. thanks a lot.

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So has anyone used a Dremel to cut off the bumpers that prevent bore cutting? It would be nice to have a yellow pro chain in .043

Ford3000

Super OPE Member
Local time
8:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So has anyone used a Dremel to cut off the bumpers that prevent bore cutting? It would be nice to have a yellow pro chain in .043
Is 91 VXL chain in 3/8 lp, .43, no bumper links, it sure bore cuts.

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I checked my 91 last night and it had them. I'd prefer Stihl chain anyway, but I've noticed it isn't as easy as it should be to bury a bar in a cross cut with that chain likely from the anti kick bumpers.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:51 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cutoff wheel makes light work of them.

Ford3000

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I checked my 91 last night and it had them. I'd prefer Stihl chain anyway, but I've noticed it isn't as easy as it should be to bury a bar in a cross cut with that chain likely from the anti kick bumpers.
That’s odd, I had a small Echo 352 with a 91 chain, it bored like
a dozer, never noted any bumpers on it, had it sharpened at the saw shop
though, maybe I got back something else.

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It bores better on Oregon bars than Stihl's small radius tip.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
. . .they gave it to me with RapidSuper chain . . . someone from stihl.gr company told to use Rapid Micro chain because RS used for more harder trees.
Welcome to the forum!

'RM' (Rapid Micro) is STIHL's term for semi-chisel chain. Semi-chisel chain has a rounded corner, and cuts a little slower, but keeps cutting longer, especially in dirty wood.

'RS' (Rapid Super) is STIHL's term for full-chisel chain. Full-chisel chain has a sharp, pointed corner, and cuts faster, but that corner is susceptible to damage, even by dirt, which slows it down a lot.

Here is a list from STIHL USA that describes how they name their chains:
Screen shot 2020-08-27 at 4.45.14 PM.png

Since you have the RS chain, why not buy a loop of RM chain to fit your current bar, try them side-by-side, and see which one you like better? A good dealer can shorten a 18" loop of chain to fit a 16" bar later on, if you do decide to go with the shorter guide bar.

Philbert

Attachments

• Stihl Saw Chain ID.pdf
    97.2 KB · Views: 1

Ford3000

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
hello i am from Greece and i have ms260 chainsaw. I want to change the chain and the guide from 18'' to 16''. when i bought it from canada they gave it to me with RapidSuper chain .325 /0.05gauge 18'' RollomaticE bar. Here in Greece we cut (Abies cephalonica) and someone from stihl.gr company told to use Rapid Micro chain because RS used for more harder trees. I want ask if this is correct and what is the difference between RM and RM3 chain. thanks a lot.
If the wood you want to cut is real hard, 3/8 chain would pull out
bigger chunks with the right rakers, and RM will stay sharp longer,
RS is a good chain, but the corner goes especially in hard wood, you
can of course use it, but you will need to sharpen more often.

A 261 will need a short bar if you go 3/8, I would get a bigger saw
if your wood is really hard.

For softer wood 261 with either chain in .325.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have run MS260 / MS261 saws with 16", 18", and 20" bars. All with .325 pitch, .063 gauge chains, both RM and RS, in a wide variety of wood.

I am certain that in side-by-side comparisons I could identify differences, but as a practical matter . . . if I had the 18" bar, and was in good condition, I would keep it until it wears out.

I like to have at least 3 chains per saw, so I might have different kinds.

A 20" bar is pretty big for that saw, IF fully buried in 20" or larger wood, but not a big deal if cutting smaller diameter wood. JMHO

Philbert