Ram position when storing a splitter?

srb08

Doesn't play well with others
Local time
10:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a neighbor who always leaves the ram extended when he shuts off his splitter. It sits under a tree, uncovered and it doesn't matter if it's horizontal or vertical, the ram is always left extended, even when stored long term.
I asked him why he does it that way and he said that's what he was taught as a kid and his Dad and uncles all store them that way.
To me, it seems counter intuitive to leave the ram exposed and risk damage or a build up of dirt.
I always store my splitter inside, in the horizontal position with the ram fully retracted.

Is there something I'm missing and there is some advantage to the way my neighbor does it?

Last edited:

ElevatorGuy

It’s up and down ;)
Local time
11:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Retracted always. We had a building flood years ago and as it was happening one of guys was on site so he started taking elevators up a few floors and turning them off. The hydros were parked on the top floor of 3. The lower 2 floors flooded, filled the pits and hoistway. Pistons corroded so bad we had to replace the whole jack, It wasn’t pretty.

Last edited:

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
8:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Maybe they are taking a page from leaving part time used grain trucks with the bed up to keep water out?

Other wise leaving a ram exposed is just silly.
Random side note, often telescopic rams are not chrome plated and rust in a hurry.

srb08

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for the replies.

The first time I saw the splitter stored with the ram extended, I said something to him about storing it that way but he continues to do it.
I guess he'll learn a hard lesson.

kingOFgEEEks

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There's another factor at play, probably also in favor of retracting the ram. Every hydraulic piece of equipment has a 'storage position', or in other words, a position you're supposed to park it in, to be able to check the fluid level. On my Brave, it's supposed to be checked with the ram retracted, and I'm willing to bet it's the same for most splitters.

Firewood Bandit

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Of course retracted. But..................when I am using my splitter, it has a stroke limiter to speed up cycle time. Rather than make a 30" stroke, the limiter in this pic is set to retract to 21". So when I am using it it will sit from day to day slightly extended. But of course in storage it is retracted. The stop plate is in 2" increments from 17-27".DSCF0020.JPG DSCF0024.JPG

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
All the sudden after ten years years the 8 gallons of Dexron disappeared from my splitter yesterday .I can't find a leak any where .It does dribble little bit every so often .I suppose a leaking half a teaspoon daily over 10 years could cause things to go dry eventually . Now I have to find some more on the cheap some place I guess . Wow has the price of that stuff risen since last I bought .
I use Dexron because it will flow at any temperature and can stand more heat than regular 20WT hydraulic oil without breaking down .Of course with a 5 inch cylinder heat would not be a problem .

srb08

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A little update to this thread.
Last week my neighbor started splitting for next year. After using his splitter for a bit, it started leaking hyd fluid from the seal on the ram. The more he used it, the worse it got. He’s going to replace the cylinder.
Maybe he’ll heed my advice going forward.

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A little update to this thread.
Last week my neighbor started splitting for next year. After using his splitter for a bit, it started leaking hyd fluid from the seal on the ram. The more he used it, the worse it got. He’s going to replace the cylinder.
Maybe he’ll heed my advice going forward.
He can rebuild the cylinder, with new gaskets, much cheaper I would assume. I had mine rebuilt before.