Raker Files

BlackCoffin

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What files have you used for setting raker height that have worked the best? Best as in quickest cut, smooth operation, and longevity. Are there any with smooth sides so if you free hand the rakers you won’t nick the cutter?

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
12:13 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What files have you used for setting raker height that have worked the best? Best as in quickest cut, smooth operation, and longevity. Are there any with smooth sides so if you free hand the rakers you won’t nick the cutter?

All 'depth gauge files' are supposed to have smooth sides (a.k.a. 'safe files') - this is what separates them from a standard flat file.

I use the Oregon files because they work well and are available locally at a reasonable price - sometimes $4.50 on sale, including the depth gauge tool. Sometimes cheaper than what I can pay for the file alone, on line.

Screen shot 2020-03-09 at 10.39.47 PM.png

Philbert

Last edited:

BlacknTan

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:13 PM
User ID
Reaction score
A regular three corner file works well because there's plenty of room to clear the cutting edge.

hardhat

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't know if I got a dud of a file from oregon, but the pferd cut much faster. had a lot more bite than the oregon.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nobody has mentioned STIHL yet. Nicholson and Bahco make good files too. I have not compared them, as I mentioned that the Oregon work for me. But, as opposed to sharpening the cutters, you don't need a chainsaw-specific file for this task. Some people use their depth gauge tool, or even an old spoon, to protect the cutting edges when filing the depth gauges if not using a 'safe' file.

Philbert

Spladle160

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A file. works better than a hammer. I have a couple of flat ones for rakers from oregon and stihl that I have ended up with through no particular intention and they work fine. So does the side of a square file. If your using a gauge most protect the cutter anyways.

BlackCoffin

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Old spoon is a good trick. The guides are straight forward, but when customizing your own raker depth I could see it slipping or getting out of hand and nicking the cutter. This is where a smooth sided raker file would save you. I’ll try a pferd out and see how I like it.

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Any comment on Oregon VS pferd or save edge?

The last half dozen Save Edge raker files I bought were/are very disappointing

No "bite" to them

Felt like a half worn out file right out of the box

But the Save Edge 5/32" round files I bought at the same time cut just fine

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Odd. You don't use a stone?

Any file that will cut I use.

Never even tried a stone. The sanding wheels make real quick work of the situation. File-o-plate in one hand, Dremel in the other. After a few rakers, I have a good guess how much needs to come off the rest of them, usually 3-5 quick taps with the drum. I'll hit them a few times and then check. Might have to do a couple more taps, but I don't check again after that.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Never even tried a stone. The sanding wheels make real quick work of the situation. File-o-plate in one hand, Dremel in the other. After a few rakers, I have a good guess how much needs to come off the rest of them, usually 3-5 quick taps with the drum. I'll hit them a few times and then check. Might have to do a couple more taps, but I don't check again after that.
New to me... good idea for tore up cutters I pound back down.

Found my 12V Grandy sharpener today with the angle finder. Can I get diamonds for it now?

Stone sucked and its useless with carbide cutters, I tried.