Rain water or thief being a jerk

livemusic

Super OPE Member
Local time
6:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a Coleman maxa 5000 generator with a Tecumseh 10 horsepower motor. I recently left it a few days in my pasture. A thief stole the gas, left fuel line undone, also left his knife. Also stole gas out of my logsplitter. I hauled my gen out of there. I noted that there was still a bit of gas (I assumed gas!) in the tank, which I thought was odd but what a dummy, I added some gas because I needed to use the gen soon thereafter. Would not start and been running great. I finally suspected water in gas and confirmed it was. Drained best I could and got it running. After he stole the gas, did the thief dump water in the tank? Or can rain water enter through the muffler vent holes? I can't see how that much rain could get in thru the tiny vent hole atop the gas cap. BTW my pasture has locked gate. I assume it was a local who climbed the gate or fence at night.

We might have had a brief heavy rain at the pasture. I got one inch in town.

Another question... see the rubber tubing going from the air filter housing to the engine... what is this called? I have ideas but unsure. Can I buy a piece at a hardware store or must I buy the exact part. I note it is cracked, dry rotted at the bend. TIA!
bd1a9b10dcf6e256bdac84e830c86b55.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

sledneck22

But, is the chain sharp?
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
[QUOTE="
Another question... see the rubber tubing going from the air filter housing to the engine... what is this called? I have ideas but unsure. Can I buy a piece at a hardware store or must I buy the exact part. I note it is cracked, dry rotted at the bend.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

That's just a breather tube. I would replace with something from the hardware store. It's for positive crankcase ventilation.
On a yamaha snowmobile I made a custom turbo setup for, I replaced my breather tube with a little air filter as my airbox was turned into an intercooler and didn't want to reroute the breather tube to the air filter at the rear of the sled.

Stihl036

3% Neanderthal
Local time
7:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That line looks like the crankcase vent tube. It looks like regular fuel line and should be easy to replace. Any air entering through a cracked line would allow unfiltered air into the carb.

livemusic

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Was it yellow water? Maybe the lowlife pi55ed in it?

Wow, I actually think you nailed it! When I discovered the water, I noted that I had to look hard to see the gasoline/water contact line. Look hard because there was little difference in color! And I could not figure out why a thief would have water on his person. Beer, maybe, but not water. And now you've said what you did, it makes sense he'd leave a parting shot of pee. He wouldn't pour his beer in there. People are jerks. Sure would love to know if it's someone who knows me. I don't make enemies but there are a hill full of lowlifes in that area. I had just told me gf that very thing not a week before that when she remarked how pretty a place it is.

JugHead27

I'd rather be called gay
Local time
8:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wow, I actually think you nailed it! When I discovered the water, I noted that I had to look hard to see the gasoline/water contact line. Look hard because there was little difference in color! And I could not figure out why a thief would have water on his person. Beer, maybe, but not water. And now you've said what you did, it makes sense he'd leave a parting shot of pee. He wouldn't pour his beer in there. People are jerks. Sure would love to know if it's someone who knows me. I don't make enemies but there are a hill full of lowlifes in that area. I had just told me gf that very thing not a week before that when she remarked how pretty a place it is.
If it was indeed pithed in I suspect it was probably teenagers, if not, meth head junkie, can’t see a junkie wasting any time for anything other than his fix

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Probably ethanol that broke down in the gas
I cleaned my generator fuel tank
And got about a cup of trash residue out of it.

Agr516

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Does it have a plastic fuel tank on it? Could be condensation forming inside the tank while left out in the sun. Plastic tanks left in the sun will produce water.

Mad Professor

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You need to put out piece(s) of junk equipment out in the field as bait, covered with a game camera. Put some stale gas mixed with sugar in the tanks.