Pulling rope

Mkinslow

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What do you guys think about using mule tape for the main pull rope ,like if you have a tree with a lean or .....

The stuff I just got from a friend is rp6000 3/4 wide and rated at 6000 lbs

EchoRomeoCharlie

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
MBS 6000lbs or WLL 6000lbs?

Also...why? A good 5/8" rope is rated WAY over that, doesn't really cost that much, redirects way better, and will probably last longer.

Piece of mind is worth quite a bit too. No way would I be using it to pull trees...

Mkinslow

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Its working load limit, its brand new and was free. Rope is fairly cheap and I have some that I use. I've also had brand new high strength (as advertised) ropes break way under their supposed limit.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

EchoRomeoCharlie

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Its working load limit, its brand new and was free. Rope is fairly cheap and I have some that I use. I've also had brand new high strength (as advertised) ropes break way under their supposed limit.

Knot will weaken any material.

Free...give it a shot.

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
2:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
Can you? Sure you can do anything through the hole in ths sheet;):

Last time I checked NEPTCO RP6000 3/4" muletape had a 6000# tensile strength rating. Working load limit is commonly only 15 to 25 percent of that tensile strength number.

Will it work the pull trees over. Sure until it doesn't. It's not really designed for that application.

Ultimately it comes down to what your comfortable with. You'll probably be fine.

I wouldn't use it, but I'm professionally obligated to use tree industry recognized standards and equipment.

Mkinslow

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Can you? Sure you can do anything through the hole in ths sheet;):

Last time I checked NEPTCO RP6000 3/4" muletape had a 6000# tensile strength rating. Working load limit is commonly only 15 to 25 percent of that tensile strength number.

Will it work the pull trees over. Sure until it doesn't. It's not really designed for that application.

Ultimately it comes down to what your comfortable with. You'll probably be fine.

I wouldn't use it, but I'm professionally obligated to use tree industry recognized standards and equipment.
Thanks, I don't know if I'll ever use it for trees. Really just a thought since it was given to me.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mule tape ?? I had to look that one up,evidently I've been out of the loop too long .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
BTW if you can blow my avatar picture up you can see what I use. 1" three strand nylon .I've a 300 foot spool and a 600 foot spool .

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I use a 12/24 strand 3/4" rope for pulling trees. Made by BlueOx. I really like it and affordable for us non-tree professionals.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A lot of it is being at the right place ,right time. Those rolls of heavy three strand belonged to an electrical contractor I once worked for .He in turn sold it to a person who bankrupted the company so it sold at auction .I bought a job lot of nearly a pick up truck full of different sized rope and sold half of it a roll at a time and doubled my money so the 1" nylon cost me nothing . It took me three trips to haul all the stuff off the auction site when the sale was over .It was only about three miles from my house .

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
A lot of it is being at the right place ,right time. Those rolls of heavy three strand belonged to an electrical contractor I once worked for .He in turn sold it to a person who bankrupted the company so it sold at auction .I bought a job lot of nearly a pick up truck full of different sized rope and sold half of it a roll at a time and doubled my money so the 1" nylon cost me nothing . It took me three trips to haul all the stuff off the auction site when the sale was over .It was only about three miles from my house .
Nylon three braid is *s-word for tree work imo. It stretches.

Buy static solid braided quality rope to pull anything.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Depends on the application .Nylon three strand does have a 70 percent elongation rate which might suck for tree work .The stuff I have was used for heavy electrical armored cable pulling on stuff as large as your arm that weighed as much as 12-15 pounds per foot .The elongation in that application was good because it acts like a shock absorber .It's all been replaced with double braid these days for that usage .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A little story on three strand which goes back to the late 60's before most of you were born .The navy,specifically the submarine service used 2" three strand for mooring lines 300 feet long .Because of the elongation of 70 percent near the eye splice on the ends we would splice in 17" of small "white line" spanning 10" of the main line .That way we could could tell when it approached point of pulling it in two .A parted line of that size could cut you right in two if it hit you .It was powered by a hydraulic capstan type winch that certainly had enough power to do just that .That line these days has also been replaced with double braid .

srb08

Doesn't play well with others
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What do you guys think about using mule tape for the main pull rope ,like if you have a tree with a lean or .....

The stuff I just got from a friend is rp6000 3/4 wide and rated at 6000 lbs
I used mule tape to pull over a leaner. At the time it was all I had. The tree didn't require a lot of effort to steer and the tape worked fine. I needed to keep the tree from falling on a section of fence. If there would have been a structure involved, I would have gone after a rope.
I've also used it to pull ATV's out of mud holes. If you double or triple it, it'll pull a lot of weight.
It's handy stuff to have around. It weighs nothing, isn't bulky and if you don't have safety concerns is quite serviceable.

Mkinslow

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I used mule tape to pull over a leaner. At the time it was all I had. The tree didn't require a lot of effort to steer and the tape worked fine. I needed to keep the tree from falling on a section of fence. If there would have been a structure involved, I would have gone after a rope.
I've also used it to pull ATV's out of mud holes. If you double or triple it, it'll pull a lot of weight.
It's handy stuff to have around. It weighs nothing, isn't bulky and if you don't have safety concerns is quite serviceable.
This will most likely be put to use on the in laws farm , keeping cut trees off fences and such. I've used it for lots of stuff over the years