av8or3

So many saw ... so little time...
GoldMember
Local time
2:34 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Could be my least favorite “thing” to do with saws. I don’t know why I just don’t do this first. Every time I have to pull one of these things I set up pullers and try, I hammer on one of the “super duper” pullers that just screw over the threads and on one occasion I even did the boiling water while pulling on it trick . No joy. I always save this for last and it always works. In seconds. I say get you a BFAH and your worries are over.
0456ca3a-adbe-4d94-a87d-5c7676198b90-jpeg.351460

Squareground3691

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Could be my least favorite “thing” to do with saws. I don’t know why I just don’t do this first. Every time I have to pull one of these things I set up pullers and try, I hammer on one of the “super duper” pullers that just screw over the threads and on one occasion I even did the boiling water while pulling on it trick . No joy. I always save this for last and it always works. In seconds. I say get you a BFAH and your worries are over.
Heat gun , heavy brass or ball pean hammer, and good puller , are ur best friends and sometimes being more aggressive than you think will help .

sundance

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A little more explanation on what always works would be helpful.

av8or3

So many saw ... so little time...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A little more explanation on what always works would be helpful.
Agreed. I cover the end of the crank with the nut, very important. Then I back the nut just off the crank, maybe half a turn so the set on the air hammer doesn’t touch the crank itself.
When it’s over the nut seems to vibrate down some anyway. Now get you a pry bar of some sort and find a place to get a slight (at least) purchase on the flywheel to pry up while hammering in short bursts on the crank nut with a 4X rivet gun. The set I use is a simple steel flat one used on countersunk rivets. It hammers the crap out of it in seconds and I don’t think I’ve had to “hit” it more than 4-5 times (for maybe 2-3 seconds) before it goes to sounding different, hollow sounding, and has come loose. The only time I have ever damaged a crank was when I forgot to cover it with the nut. A true Homer Simson moment. Duh…

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i took a junky 2-jaw puller and ground the “feet” down so they are able to slide behind fw. tighten, tap repeat a time or two and they pop right off.
Carefull !!!

Dumbazz here cracked a flywheel doing this. Twas over 35 years ago, but it’s not a mistake you’d repeat, kind of stays with you forever !!

cus_deluxe

terms of service violator
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Carefull !!!

Dumbazz here cracked a flywheel doing this. Twas over 35 years ago, but it’s not a mistake you’d repeat, kind of stays with you forever !!
good call haha. the ouller i use is really junky, probly only slightly harder than a tin can so if its a stubborn one it usually just bends and comes off lol

Gullet

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:34 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just make a loop of paracord & wrap behind 3 fins on one side, three fins on otherside of flywheel & pick saw up holding the middle of paracord.
Tap the crank with rawhide mallet.

Prolly not the best, but has worked well enough for me.

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
good call haha. the ouller i use is really junky, probly only slightly harder than a tin can so if its a stubborn one it usually just bends and comes off lol
They are cheap also, can grind as needed to fit. Not too tight, hold saw couple inches above bench, hit with hammer and done. Never failed yet, may not work on all brands. ;)

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:34 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like to heat the flywheel to around 200F and either pry around the edges carefully if there's a solid non magnesium surface to pry off of, or hammer around the edges from behind. I keep in mind it can take several whacks as I rotate the flywheel to work it loose, not one big whack.

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
11:34 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A puller and some good sharp raps with a hammer on the center bolt usually do the trick. I usually get it snug, whack it with a hammer. Tighten it another 1/4 turn, whack it with a hammer, and repeat until it pops off. I've only needed heat once or twice (and only as a preventative measure), and most of the time a few good blows on both end of the crank will knock them loose. Presoaking with some penetrating oil and following up with some heat doesn't hurt either.

SOS Ridgerider

Muffler Modded Member
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I usually just loosen the nut so it covers the end of the threads, hold the saw by the flywheel and give it a god whack with a hammer. Hasn’t not worked yet.

pbillyi69

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i have used a steering wheel puller in the past, and have used heat gun and hammer method. both work well have also done the hammer without the heat gun. never had too much trouble with them

Gaston

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Take a soft face hammer, like rubber or plastic. Maybe even a dead blow. Hit the outside of the flywheel. Hit one side then go to the opposite side. This breaks up the pressure on the taper fit. Been doing it for the past few years, haven’t broke or damaged anything.