Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
9:20 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hello Men -

A long time and well-respected member sent me a couple of replacement (re-pop) intake boots to try that fit the McCulloch CP-125, SP-105, SP-125, and SP-125c. These intake boots will be available from The Duke© on the Traverse Creek website.

First off, rubber parts on these old saws can be problematic - most have been in service 40-50 years and even though the OEM used high quality parts, that's a long time for a rubber item to be in service that handles fuel as a part of its function. The fact that we now have a high-quality replacement is cool beans.

At first glance, this is a nice part - the texture and flexibility of the rubber is great, and it holds its shape well. My experience has been that a lot of used intake boots are deformed due to fuel exposure and heat.

As delivered, the new Traverse Creek part on the left - old used part on the right.

Last edited:

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
These boots install on a flange under the fuel tank/rear handle assembly, and then slide down and "snap" on over a lip on the intake manifold. I've found old boots leak more at the junction
with the intake manifold usually because the lip where they install on the tank is quite thick and usually maintains a tight seal. The new replacement boot installs well on the both the tank
and the intake manifold - when I installed it on the intake manifold, it gave a very satisfying snap as I locked the sealing ring of the boot on the lip of the intake manifold.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As a part of installing the new boot, you'll need to transfer over the intake spring, which applies pressure to either end of the boot, and the two collars. These parts help maintain the seal
between the tank and the manifold. Usually these parts clean up easily and take a total of about five minutes to remove from the old boot and install on the new.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Uncle Lee (@Lee H ) mentioned one time that he uses STP oil treatment to help slide the sealing ring of the boot onto the lip of the manifold, and I've found that to be helpful.

Overall, this is a great product, and will prolong the life of these great saws. Here's one in a runner:

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
11:20 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Certainly an item I would like to keep on hand.

I tried 3D printing some from TPU (Thermal Poly Urethane) but they were not flexible enough to install and work.

Mark

Duke Thieroff

Fill your hands you SOB!
Local time
12:20 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Certainly an item I would like to keep on hand.

I tried 3D printing some from TPU (Thermal Poly Urethane) but they were not flexible enough to install and work.

Mark

I should have a bunch in the coming weeks. If I have them before I come to visit I'll bring some out.

3D printing is great technology but it is hard to find something that is durable/flexible enough for a tough use application such as intake boot. And if it fails it's a problem.

Fortunately I have a good company with experience that can make the rubber for us.

Duke Thieroff

Fill your hands you SOB!
Local time
12:20 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag