High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

pro help with 036 pro parts (good or bad)?

Corkey6650

Active OPE Member
Local time
1:34 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Hello everyone, This is my first ever post on any forum and also my first time tearing into a chainsaw so please forgive me with any mistakes. My Stihl 036 pro ran away on me couple of years ago so I bought a MS 311.I do not like the new designed av system as it feels too loose to me so I decided to try and repair the 036. When it ran away it got so hot that it would not shut down with the switch so I had to quickly dump out the gas mix. I think the flywheel side seal was the root cause of the problem as I hope you can see in the pics I uploaded. I will be replacing the wrist pin bearing , crank case bearings , the seals and gaskets. My biggest concern is the piston , cyl , and case. The case is heavily pitted on the flywheel side but not as much on the pto side. The piston looks ok to me but the rings have black spots on them that catch my fingernail as I run the along the top edge of the rings. Any other info you need to try and help me, just let me know . Sorry about being long winded . Thank you in advance 20210117_171205.jpg 20210117_171205.jpg

Attachments

• 20210117_170928.jpg
    20210117_170928.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 137
  • 20210117_171243.jpg
    20210117_171243.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 155
  • 20210117_171421.jpg
    20210117_171421.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 148
  • 20210117_171440.jpg
    20210117_171440.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 115

Agent Smith

Hack of all trades
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That cylinder and piston look awfully nice for it to have had an air leak so bad, it got hot enough that the engine was dieseling. Normally it'll sieze before it can get that hot. I think your kill switch just wasn't working properly

Corkey6650

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
So you think the piston and cyl. can be reused ? Is that pitting inside the crankcase of any concern ? it is eating away at the gasket mating surface. This saw has always been a good saw ,only parts replaced were the fuel line ,clutch drum and sprocket and of course bars and chains .

Agent Smith

Hack of all trades
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So you think the piston and cyl. can be reused ? Is that pitting inside the crankcase of any concern ? it is eating away at the gasket mating surface. This saw has always been a good saw ,only parts replaced were the fuel line ,clutch drum and sprocket and of course bars and chains .
That cylinder and piston look very good. Almost like something you'd see on a very low hr saw. Definitely can reuse those. As for the pitting its pretty bad to where if it were my saw, I'd find some good clean used case halves. Also looks like the bearing may have spun in the pocket a bit or could just be stains but its hard to tell without being in front of me.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looks like it sat for a long time with ethanol fuel in it.

I’ve personally experienced dieseling with 6month old ethanol gas in a saw. Shut the switch off and it kept running for a few seconds. The fuel burns hot enough that the spark plug electrode glows red and is enough to keep it running

Agent Smith

Hack of all trades
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looks like it sat for a long time with ethanol fuel in it.

I’ve personally experienced dieseling with 6month old ethanol gas in a saw. Shut the switch off and it kept running for a few seconds. The fuel burns hot enough that the spark plug electrode glows red and is enough to keep it running
I do not use ethanol so that would explain why I've never encountered such a situation. Learned something new today

huskihl

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I do not use ethanol so that would explain why I've never encountered such a situation. Learned something new today
I don’t now, but it’s only been available here for 7-8 years. This was gas for the generator in the fall during the “storm of the century” that never happened. Had to use up 12 gallons somewhere....

Corkey6650

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I purchased the saw on April 14th 1999. I used it every year on weekends cutting firewood and clearing lots for houses. It sat for about 6 months of the year during winter. I wish I would have known about ethanol back then and up too and including this year , since this year is the first year I have really heard about the damage caused by ethanol

huskihl

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’d scrape all that sh!t out of the cases. Maybe shine it up with a wire brush. Also be sure and use some sealant on both sides of the case gasket. New bearings, seals, and rings and it might be good to go

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I’d scrape all that sh!t out of the cases. Maybe shine it up with a wire brush. Also be sure and use some sealant on both sides of the case gasket. New bearings, seals, and rings and it might be good to go
That sounds real good. No monkeying with the piston, clips and stuffs. It looks nice up there.

Get rid of all the carbon you can get at. Wash out the bearing pockets with something nice an whistle clean. Make sure the bearings fit tight in them.

Nice top end in it.

Corkey6650

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Buying a ultrasonic cleaner , so I figured to put the piston , cyl and case halves it it and see what it does. Hopefully it does not disintegrate ;)

huskihl

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Buying a ultrasonic cleaner , so I figured to put the piston , cyl and case halves it it and see what it does. Hopefully it does not disintegrate ;)
I’d be careful with anything painted. Most solutions will wrinkle the paint before they will clean out any oxidation like that. Not a bad idea to slosh it around in there for 15 minutes with some Dawn dish soap and hot water though to clean it up a little.

If you need some help with reassembling it, let me know.

Corkey6650

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
It is going to be a while before I start to assemble this poor thing , I am still getting the parts and tools required . I am having a little trouble with my dealer in ordering the bearings . He says to reuse the old bearings but to me they feel rough when you spin them by hand , both sides , so I am looking at other close by dealers. I have one more here in Grayling to check tomorrow . It will probably be mid February before I am ready to assemble

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
10:34 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Definitely go with new bearings and seals - as long as you're this far into it, you might as well fix it right.

I would do some sanding on that pitted area in the crankcase. If you're feeling ambitious, you could have the case halves powder-coated.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is that the original cylinder and piston? I could be wrong, but that piston is kinda shiny and the bevels are odd looking (but could be oem).

As for that case, I’d clean good, bead blast if possible (just the pitted area) and use a good 2 part sealing paint that is fuel resistant on the crank area. Sending them to Glock for powder would be your best bet at keeping everything good, as said above.

Id rub some good sealant on both sides of the case gasket when you put the cases together, just for some cheap insurance.

The saw is worth the trouble. Should last you a lifetime.

Corkey6650

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Yes that is the original cylinder and piston. The only parts replaced on this saw have been a few clutch drums , rims sprockets ,fuel line and filter. It has been a great saw that always started with 2-3 pulls ,usually 2 , even after sitting all winter. Would it be for me to replace the rings while have it apart ? I am just worried about those black spots in the pictures that feel like they catch my fingernail as I run it along the top edge of the rings. Is that normal? What would the cost of powder coating be , I have never done anything like that before.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
10:34 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Glock37 is a member here that does powder-coating. I believe the cost for a crankcase is $70 plus shipping both ways, but you would want to confirm that with him.

Definitely replace the piston rings and likely some of the rubber parts in the fuel system.

Corkey6650

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Cool , Thanks for the info. I will shout out to him.