High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Price: Versacut vs Duracut, is it worth it?

JimBear

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was looking at some Oregon 3/8 x .05 semi-chisel & these two came up. Versacut & Duracut & was just curious if anyone running them thought the Duracut was worth the extra money. Duracut was $7 higher on 60DL than Versacut. Am I missing something on the differences or is it just the extra chrome? I pose the question to those who know more & will most likely forget more about chain than I will probably ever know.

Last edited:

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It looks like just extra chrome. What strange is looking at the guide on Oregon.com it has LPX full chisel in the duracut line up at the top.of the page but not at the bottom. Then it has DPX listed on both the Versacut and Duracut. And I didn't see a different part number for the DPX on either choice.

Oh and chrome is hard on files.

dbittle

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I have used a couple of loops of the duracut chain. It does stay sharp quite a bit better than DPX on stumps and similar where it sees a lot of dirt.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have used a couple of loops of the duracut chain. It does stay sharp quite a bit better than DPX on stumps and similar where it sees a lot of dirt.

Does the Duracut look just like the DPX but with extra chrome?

dbittle

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
No. The duracut is chisel chain like LPX. The DPX has a small corner radius. I bought a couple of loops to flush cut stumps and uprooted tree trunks on my farm. I think it hangs on about twice as long as semi-chisel using it for that purpose.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I paid a handsome sum for a Multi-cut chain some years back looking for something that would hold up in dirt laden logs moved with heavy equipment. It was a BIG disappointment, the triple chrome plating was of little use on a soft steel tooth. Just about anything else was better. I'd be hard pressed to fall for it again.

Slacker

Hunny Locust Skipchain Sparker
Local time
4:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I paid a handsome sum for a Multi-cut chain some years back looking for something that would hold up in dirt laden logs moved with heavy equipment. It was a BIG disappointment, the triple chrome plating was of little use on a soft steel tooth. Just about anything else was better. I'd be hard pressed to fall for it again.

I bought a loop of Duracut last week, it's in the mail. I'll take a few pics and report back after I use it around the farm.
I currently use Oregon Semi chisel for general duties. A typical 10 hour day uses two loops of semi chisel.
The semi chisel also holds up longer in Locust. I bought the duracut in hopes of seeing the cutting speed of Chisel and the longevity of semi chisel.
Its probably smoke and mirrors but a guy can hope right?

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bought a loop of Duracut last week, it's in the mail. I'll take a few pics and report back after I use it around the farm.
I currently use Oregon Semi chisel for general duties. A typical 10 hour day uses two loops of semi chisel.
The semi chisel also holds up longer in Locust. I bought the duracut in hopes of seeing the cutting speed of Chisel and the longevity of semi chisel.

Hopefully it's more gooder. Interested in hearing what you think about it.

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What size chain and what saws are you running.
Fast saws and chain longevity don't seem to go hand in hand.
I cut a good amount of locust as well as ash and both can eat a chain up pretty quick if your cutting dead standing frozen wood. I still get pretty good life out of my chains as long as they are not frozen, that will just roll the corner :eek:. Since most the locust here is under 18" I find a 353 is a great saw to use on it and I get great life out of the chains, but it's not as quick as the ported 346's in the cut :D.
Hopefully the Duracut works well for you.

dbittle

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I will say the cutting speed on the duracut didn't blow me away, especially out of the box. I figured the heavy chrome layer put a limit on how sharp it could really get. Cutting stumps off absolutely at ground level kills a semichisel chain in about 10 minutes, so even a little bit of extra life helps.

Slacker

Hunny Locust Skipchain Sparker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Got the duracut today.
Snapped a few pics next to "normal" semi chisel. The versacut has about 5 sharpenings on it. The cutters definitely look smaller.
I will test it out in locust this weekend.
Sorry, no vids of the sparks.
Santa needs to bring me a gopro.

20190708_203035.jpg 20190708_203239.jpg 20190708_203301.jpg 20190708_203423.jpg 20190708_203522.jpg

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I will say the cutting speed on the duracut didn't blow me away, especially out of the box. I figured the heavy chrome layer put a limit on how sharp it could really get. Cutting stumps off absolutely at ground level kills a semichisel chain in about 10 minutes, so even a little bit of extra life helps.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I cut up a fallen but still sappy Black Locust tree for mom today with my Dolly 5105/Oregon 72LPX. The Locust and Hedge Apple trees are about the hardest thing around and they are everywhere. Since these are what my 50cc saws normally eat, I'm thinking of switching to semi-chisel as it stays sharp longer. I switched to semi-chisel on my smaller saws and like it very much, the tiny difference in speed is more than offset by less vibration and less re-sharpening. I like the looks of Oregon 72DPX and Carlton A1EP. The Oregon is a bumper link type whereas the Carlton is a standard design. Any idea as to which is better?

deye223

AIR FUEL SPARK VROOOOOM
Local time
7:13 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Of those 2 I would go the A1EP I have used 4 rolls of the old (blue and white box) A3EP It's not as good as 36RM but it's not far behind it .

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
1:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Of those 2 I would go the A1EP I have used 4 rolls of the old (blue and white box) A3EP It's not as good as 36RM but it's not far behind it .
I’m thinking about 395xp 36” duracut for euc...M75LPX? Cowboy skip? Or square ground stihl of some sort? I’ve pretty much only run oregon.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I’m thinking about 395xp 36” duracut for euc...M75LPX? Cowboy skip? Or square ground stihl of some sort? I’ve pretty much only run oregon.
Semi chiz Carlton for dirty dead and/or frozen chit. Had my last brandy new semi chain out killing frozen trees a bit back. Been years since logs froze up here. Big smile for Carlton :D

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
1:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I will have to try some. The new full comp oregon semi chis 42" ?DPX? was a big disappointment. Slow and got dull...and tooooo many cutters to sharpen! Maybe cowboy skip it.