Presets for Spinning and Breaking Chain

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
10:09 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I get asked these questions a lot, so I thought I would start a thread that I could reference, and a place where others could post related comments.

Saw chains are made up of cutters, drive links, and tie straps, and are held together by rivets. Since handling the tiny rivets could be awkward, pairs of rivets are pre-assembled to one tie strap ('preset' or 'pre-set') for use in joining chain to make loops, repairs, etc.

Chain Parts Exploded.png
Preset and Tie Strap.png
Preset and Tie Strap

Chain Rivet and Drive Link.png

Since each rivet also functions as a bearing, the center ('flange bearing' in illustration above) is harder, and a larger diameter than the 'hubs', which are spun down (or mushroomed with a hammer) to hold the chain together.

A spinner / breaker set is the preferred way to remove and install chain parts, although, there are some 'field expedient' methods for doing this with more basic tools.

Philbert

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Selecting Presets

If you just run one size / style / brand of chain, it is pretty easy to keep a bunch of compatible pre-sets and tie straps on hand. Once you start working on different chains, you you start learning a lot more about chains, and all the variations, and discover that the parts can vary by:
- pitch
- gauge
- brand
- type (e.g. narrow kerf, or low kickback)
- etc.

For example Oregon uses the same presets for most 0.050 and 0.058 gauge chains (except narrow kerf), and separate ones for 0.063 gauge. STIHL uses the same for all 3 pitches in common sizes. Smaller pitch and specialty (3/8 low profile, etc.) chains may be different.
Swaged Drive Link.png

Presets need to fit in several dimensions. Sometimes, parts will vary between similar chains by a few thousandths of an inch, but will not fit, or will bind if used:

Preset Dimensions.png

Sometimes parts from one brand of chain will fit another. Sometimes not. I prefer to use OEM parts, especially, when working on other people's chains. So, it is easy to start building up a collection of dozens of different presets, along with matching small parts (cutters, drive links, tie straps) to use for repairs. It's also easy to end up with more $ tied up in presets than in your spinner / breaker set! *** I use the 'Plano'-style, divided parts boxes to sort and LABEL them. Small zip-lock bags also work. Did I mention to LABEL them?***

Presets Box.jpg Presets ZipLock.jpg

'Unbranded' presets and tie straps are available cheap on eBay (search for 'chainsaw presets' or 'chainsaw master links'). Sometimes, name brand parts can also be found there. Oregon parts can be ordered through most online places that sell chains, although the shipping can kill you if that is all you order. But the shipping is often 'free' if you plan ahead and add it on to an existing order.

I order STIHL presets from my STIHL dealer in packs of 8 to 10, and have paid anywhere from $1.25 each to as low as 50 cents each in quantity. They also sell me individual links for other chains, if they have them.

Philbert

Quote Reply

Last edited:

Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
11:09 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Selecting Presets

If you just run one size / style / brand of chain, it is pretty easy to keep a bunch of compatible pre-sets and tie straps on hand. Once you start working on different chains, you you start learning a lot more about chains, and all the variations, and discover that the parts can vary by:
- pitch
- gauge
- brand
- type (e.g. narrow kerf, or low kickback)
- etc.

For example Oregon uses the same presets for most 0.050 and 0.058 gauge chains (except narrow kerf), and separate ones for 0.063 gauge. STIHL uses the same for all 3 pitches in common sizes. Smaller pitch and specialty (3/8 low profile, etc.) chains may be different.
View attachment 256958

Presets need to fit in several dimensions. Sometimes, parts will vary between similar chains by a few thousandths of an inch, but will not fit, or will bind if used:

View attachment 256959

Sometimes parts from one brand of chain will fit another. Sometimes not. I prefer to use OEM parts, especially, when working on other people's chains. So, it is easy to start building up a collection of dozens of different presets, along with matching small parts (cutters, drive links, tie straps) to use for repairs. It's also easy to end up with more $ tied up in presets than in your spinner / breaker set! *** I use the 'Plano'-style, divided parts boxes to sort and LABEL them. Small zip-lock bags also work. Did I mention to LABEL them?***

View attachment 256960 View attachment 256961

'Unbranded' tie straps are available cheap on eBay (search for 'chainsaw presets' or 'chainsaw master links'). Sometimes, name brand parts can also be found there. Oregon parts can be ordered through most online places that sell chains, although the shipping can kill you if that is all you order. But the shipping is often 'free' if you plan ahead and add it on to an existing order.

I order STIHL presets from my STIHL dealer in packs of 8 to 10, and have paid anywhere from $1.25 each to as low as 50 cents each in quantity. They also sell me individual links for other chains, if they have them.

Philbert

Quote Reply
Great thread!

CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Excellent info!
I have several 20 inch 3/8 .050 chains, will I fare better breaking them
to make 25 inch chains or buying new 25 inch chains?
I don't have the the above equipment or know how...
Yet...I have couple of buds and shops close by that do it.

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Excellent info!
Yet...I have couple of buds and shops close by that do it.
At first I just used a small ball peen hammer to set the rivets and all I needed was the presets.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Excellent info!
Several years ago, one of my volunteer groups went from STIHL saws using "16-inch" chains that were 62 drive links, to STIHL saws using "16 inch" chains that were 67 dive links. We had dozens of chains. So, I selected several loops as 'donor chains', and spun the chains up, for about $2 / loop (cost of the presets).

If you have (4), $25 chains that you save, by spinning them up to the new size, you essentially break even on a good spinner / breaker set. AND, you have learned a new skill, AND you have a good spinner / breaker set. And, probably a few more 'buds'.

JMHO

Philbert

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Several years ago, one of my volunteer groups went from STIHL saws using "16-inch" chains that were 62 drive links, to STIHL saws using "16 inch" chains that were 67 dive links. We had dozens of chains. So, I selected several loops as 'donor chains', and spun the chains up, for about $2 / loop (cost of the presets).

If you have (4), $25 chains that you save, by spinning them up to the new size, you essentially break even on a good spinner / breaker set. AND, you have learned a new skill, AND you have a good spinner / breaker set. And, probably a few more 'buds'.

JMHO

Philbert
Everyone wanted chain when I bought three five gallon buckets half full with 3/8 050 full comp RS and LGX. Made the breakers, one old one new for fifty bucks and a used spinner for forty, seem like nothing. That Oregon dual deal is only one twenty new. Finding hundreds of nos presets from 1/4- 1/2" was sweet too. Even found some Saber 9/16 chipper cutters still like new. Gave the 9/16 long loops to Lee years ago when they popped up.

ajschainsaws

Axes never run out of Gas
GoldMember
Local time
3:09 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Fantastic thread over the years I’ve collected part rolls and full rolls of chain
From Oregon to sabre 3/8 lo pro to 1/2 and some other loops of chain
That @Philbert explained how it ran on the old saws

I’ve been meaning to get a oregon breaker and mender deal which is fantastic
Value at the moment
But as usual with clearing out old saws shops there’s never many
Presets tie straps or rivets with the chain

so this thread will be a good base to get started and make up some chain

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hmm...who has the best deals on them right now?

These are the best deals IMO - apparently, the same product in different colors. Compatible with the Oregon parts, which is a plus.

*Seller told me that he is awaiting new shipment, due at the end of the month (September, 2020), so, right now these come up as 'unavailable', or 'sold out'.*

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tecomec-Ch...BO-Repair-Tool-Pro-Bench-Mounted/381880301401

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Archer-Cha...BO-Repair-Tool-Pro-Bench-Mounted/383398090918

Philbert

ajschainsaws

Axes never run out of Gas
GoldMember
Local time
3:09 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
These are the best deals IMO - apparently, the same product in different colors. Compatible with the Oregon parts, which is a plus.

*Seller told me that he is awaiting new shipment, due at the end of the month (September, 2020), so, right now these come up as 'unavailable', or 'sold out'.*

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tecomec-Ch...BO-Repair-Tool-Pro-Bench-Mounted/381880301401

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Archer-Cha...BO-Repair-Tool-Pro-Bench-Mounted/383398090918

Philbert

Those are both good sets they look pretty strong

CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Philbert
Appreciate it!