High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Pouling My Hair Out - Wild Thing Not So Wild!!!

bulletpruf

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
1:11 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My neighbor asked me to check out his Wild Thing. Doesn't look like it's had more than a tank or two run through it, but it had been sitting up for a few years. When I fueled it up and tried to start it, it would run for a bit but wouldn't stay running.

As I expected, the fuel lines were brittle and coming apart so I changed them. Put it all back together and still wouldn't stay running.

Got a new BMPR7A, new carb, and new primer bulb installed and still same issue - won't stay running. Not getting fuel.

Not sure what else to do. Air filter is clean. I didn't change the fuel filter, but it looked fine. Has very good compression.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Can't help on the Wild Thing topic.

But, I came to the conclusion that my time spent wild goose chasing faults on cheap (but also brand name) chainsaws (OPE) is worth more than the same unit costs new!
That been said, I don't touch other peoples OPE anymore and just point them to official dealers (if it is a brand product) or tell them to go ahead and buy another unit (if it is a cheap product).

S Sidwell

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would change fuel filter, make sure the fuel lines are routed correctly. Does the primer bulb pull fuel with no air bubbles?

Steve from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

slackinoff

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If the above suggestions don’t work, could be really bad crank seals. But drf256 mentioned impulse, which would be my first suggestion as well. It’s either a channel in a block which depends heavily on a good gasket or an impulse line.

bulletpruf

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Can't help on the Wild Thing topic.

But, I came to the conclusion that my time spent wild goose chasing faults on cheap (but also brand name) chainsaws (OPE) is worth more than the same unit costs new!
That been said, I don't touch other peoples OPE anymore and just point them to official dealers (if it is a brand product) or tell them to go ahead and buy another unit (if it is a cheap product).

That make a lot of sense. My landlord's MS170 recently quit working and he brought it to me to diagnose and fix. I diagnosed it but didn't fix it. Told him it probably needed a new carburetor but I wasn't sure, and these saws only cost $180 new. In other words, not worth my time. But the real issue is that I'm tired of fixing his junk. So far, I've fixed (for free) 3 chainsaws, a string trimmer, snow blower, stump grinder, tiller, a generator, and a few other things. He lets fuel sit in them until the carburetors are all gummed up. I'm done fixing *s-word that he won't take care of.

bulletpruf

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would change fuel filter, make sure the fuel lines are routed correctly. Does the primer bulb pull fuel with no air bubbles?

I'll double check the fuel lines, but the primer bulb was connected to the carb when I got it, so that takes the guesswork out of it.

bulletpruf

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If the above suggestions don’t work, could be really bad crank seals. But drf256 mentioned impulse, which would be my first suggestion as well. It’s either a channel in a block which depends heavily on a good gasket or an impulse line.

It's a channel in a block. I'll check that out.

If that's not it, the only thing that makes sense is crank seals, and I'm not signing up to change those.

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't remember all the details but some of those Poulan models required the needles to be open 2-1/2 to 3 turns or so to work correctly. Wouldn't take long to check that out.

Mark

Yukon Stihl

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had one the with the primer hooked up it would flood.
I got it with the primer plugged,figured i would fix it.Nope.I put it back the way i got it worked fine for years.

CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That make a lot of sense. My landlord's MS170 recently quit working and he brought it to me to diagnose and fix. I diagnosed it but didn't fix it. Told him it probably needed a new carburetor but I wasn't sure, and these saws only cost $180 new. In other words, not worth my time. But the real issue is that I'm tired of fixing his junk. So far, I've fixed (for free) 3 chainsaws, a string trimmer, snow blower, stump grinder, tiller, a generator, and a few other things. He lets fuel sit in them until the carburetors are all gummed up. I'm done fixing *s-word that he won't take care of.

Quick Fix: Quote him a price for diagnosis & repair...watch him fade to black!;):cunaooooo:

old guy

Love me some Husqvarna
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yup, open both needles 2 1/2 turns, tune from there from there.

bulletpruf

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would....make sure the fuel lines are routed correctly.

Well, I feel like a d*mbass. I had the wrong line running to the primer. As soon as I figured that out, started right up. In my defense, I never mess with anything with a primer bulb.

Speaking of primer, using it does tend to flood it, and it liked the low side at about 2 turns from lightly seated.

Thanks for all the input!

Last edited:

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If the primer is causing flooding it is connected backwards. It should pull fuel from the tank via the filter and pickup line, though the carburetor, then discharge back to the tank. If it is pulling fuel from the tank and pushing it into the carburetor it will result in flooding and will only work when the tank is very full as the return line (now acting as the pickup line) will not be submerged when the tank is low.

Mark

S Sidwell

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Never trust a saw that came from someone else.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Somebody here said, "I never mess with anything with a primer bulb."
----------------
Agreed. I never thought that a primer bulb meant anything except saving one or two choke pulls. The bulbs crack and have to be replaced. They also set up early flooding. I avoid them unless I have no choice and the saw costs me nothing.

Last edited:

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The modern "primer bulb" is more accurately called a purge bulb. They pull fuel through the carburetor to make sure it's full of fuel when you start pulling on the starter. If they are correctly connected the "primer bulb" will not make a saw more prone to flooding, just easier to start.

The true primers on many older saws did in fact pump fuel either down the throat of the carburetor, or directly into the crankcase and those certainly could lead to a flooded condition.

Mark