Poulan Problem Pro 295

trapper55

OPE Member
Local time
6:58 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Fellas
I have a nice clean Poulan Pro 295 but there is a problem I just put a new carburetor on the saw but that isn't the problem my problem is when I go to pull the starting rope & it gets VERY HARD to pull it has the correct spark & compression it seems like it wants to start put it gets too hard to pull let me know if I need to give any more information up I have told everything I know but I know that some of you fellas know a ton more than I do This isn't the PP 295 that I built for my wife to learn to use we got that one running very good I am just stumped on the other PP 295 I have I can send a video if I need to Thanks guys

Ronie

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you pull the spark plug is it still hard to pull? Check and make sure the flywheel isn't contacting the coil. While you have the recoil off make sure the pulley isn't binding.

trapper55

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Ronie
I can take out the plug & it pulls smooth as silk but when the plug is in & I go to pull the starter rope on the second or third pull it get so hard to pull that it will & I MEAN HURT MY FINGERS does this mean there is a problem with the engine itself ?

trapper55

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
It has about 140+ lbs of compression it is only two marks away from the 150 lb mark

Ronie

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had a starter once that would bind up. It worked fine without any resistance, like with the plug out, but would bind when trying to start the saw. It turned out the pulley was cocking to one side and dragging. I ended up taking a little off the pulley and worked fine after that. That's the only thing I can think of at the moment.

Ronie

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would try the starter from your other saw and you can rule a starter problem out if it's still doing it.

ChipsFlyin

OPE Platinum Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Sounds weird. Like Ronie said. Start with swapping with another recoil to rule that out. When pulling without the plug does a pile of fuel shoot out of the plug hole? Did the flywheel key shear and it's " biting" you?

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Needs a recoil. I would have taken the thing completely apart and spent a whole week on it before discovering that was the problem!

trapper55

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Hey Fellas I have a bit of bad news the piston skirt has broken off of my little Poulan Pro 295 BUT I have another piston out of another PP 295 I have now just finding the time to build it back lol