Post your Firewood Stacking Method

Leafy

Super OPE Member
Local time
5:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm looking for idea on how to stack my firewood. I was going to build steel racks with metal drops but the cheapest I can do is like $250 for enough to hold 5 cords. I could get aluminum angle for cheaper but aint no body want to do that much aluminum tig welding for some stupid racks. I dont really want to just put it on the ground or build wood racks since thats just going to make the bottom wood rot or at least make it take forever to dry. So what do you do?

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
10:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My first stacking solution I came up with after having had a similar but much more improvised version used the previous season.
Steel wire reinforced concrete fence posts about 1meter/40" deep in the ground, surrounded by a fence steel wire mesh.
Concrete blocks on the ground with some fence like steel elements on top.
The roof is a old garage door tied down onto the posts only with wire.
I had everything laying around unused in my yard except the concrete fence posts which I purchased just for this purpose.
This "box" is holding about 6 cubic meters of volume, with the roof removed one could stack a lot more in height.
My only regret is that I didn't go with longer concrete fence posts which would have increased storage capacity considerably.
All in all I like it, it is also NOT an eye sore considering it is located in my back yard.

DSC08348.JPG DSC08349.JPG
DSC08350.JPG DSC08351.JPG

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My second stacking solution which I came up with to increase capacity.
6 locust posts about 1meter/40" deep in the ground. Their ends were soaked in engine oil and prior to digging them in plentifully covered with grease and wrapped with PVC foil.
Concrete blocks on the ground and wooden pallets atop of them.
I got the locust from a neighbor for clearing a creek bed, everything else I had laying around unused.
Further future "upgrades" will include steel wire connecting the top of the posts to keep them from bending apart (although, this doesn't seem to be an issue right now), and a coarse steel mesh on the sides to keep the split wood from slipping out.
This stack is currently covered by some PVC foil that already fell apart due to UV influence, and some old roofing plates - I will fully utilize the old roofing and ditch the foil in the future.
The stack pictured currently holds 6 cubic meters of firewood logs, which is about 9 cubic meters of bucked and split firewood.
As one can see this stack can easily hold a little bit more firewood.
I generally like this solution too, and it also is not an eyesore.

DSC08344.JPG DSC08345.JPG
DSC08346.JPG DSC08347.JPG

Both my solutions are rather permanent!

My "box" is placed in the corner on one side of my back yard, and my stack is on it's opposite side also fairly cornered.
Both are out of the way and don't interfere with annual back yard work.

Last edited:

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You have a chicken coop lean to. LOL
The initial intend to my "box" design was to easily store small/thin un-stackable firewood from clearing brushes on my property - take the roof off, close the access door and just toss everything in. When finished put the roof back on and let the firewood season/dry.

But it works fairly well for quality firewood too. :)

Steve Taylor

Super OPE Member
Local time
5:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mine so far. Stacked on landscape matting. Might not work the best but we will see. View attachment 135968
Yea hoping for two more feet of height before snow.
Think I will build two small ones next year instead. Might be a pia to get the stuff from the center.

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
4:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'll leave this here:

Personally, I like the way stacked wood looks, but I don't have much time for stacking. My splitter pushes splits through the 4-way and leaves a nice pile. I leave the piles right where they are until I've got a better place for the wood. Sometimes that's the bed of my truck if I'm gonna sell it, or else it'll be a pallet or wagon headed to one of the wood burners on the property.