High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Porting new saws vs used saws?

Tinkerer Carver

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
11:33 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Hello, I am new to the forum and have been poring through all of the porting threads. For some background, I work at a woodcarving shop and have used power tools most of my life. I have loved every thread, but I can’t seem to find anybody mentioning porting a new saw vs a saw that is broken in or used and old. I am curious to hear what you all think. Thank you for any information.

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
9:33 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've never done serious porting, but from watching others usually if you port a used saw you wanna be sure your bearings are all nice and tight and your seals and gaskets don't leak and if that all checks out grind away! Mastermind only ports new saws to avoid dealing with people griping that because he ported their saw right before the worn-out, original crank bearings failed it's his fault and he needs to buy them a new saw, but I know of other porters that do used saws.

Tinkerer Carver

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I've never done serious porting, but from watching others usually if you port a used saw you wanna be sure your bearings are all nice and tight and your seals and gaskets don't leak and if that all checks out grind away! Mastermind only ports new saws to avoid dealing with people griping that because he ported their saw right before the worn-out, original crank bearings failed it's his fault and he needs to buy them a new saw, but I know of other porters that do used saws.
Thank you. I’m starting my first couple of woods ported saws next week and I had planned to replace the little wear parts. Luckily I’m only porting for myself and my boss, so I don’t have to worry about angry customers.

Tinkerer Carver

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
As long as the saw is solid I don’t have a problem porting used saws. Some customers opt to have me rebuild the bottom end at the same time
Thank you, I have a 250 at home to do a semi-complete rebuild and woods port on and I can’t wait for the parts to show upand there’s an 025 at work that I can’t wait to dig into

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
12:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Pretty much used saws can easily become a headache.

Lots of cleaning involved, and everyone’s idea of a “good saw” differs. Guys often conveniently forget some part of a problem with a saw and figure the builder will stumble across the problem and fix while there. Some guys don’t even know the saw had an issue. So basically you are not only porting the saw, but doing a somewhat free diagnosis and fix for the same price.

Once you open the saw, you become “it”. Commonly becomes an issue, and once one comes up it’s a mess.

My first ported saw was a MMWS 066 that I sent to Randy when I just got into the hobby. He called me and told me I sent him a saw with an AM top end (I had no clue). After I apologized and allowed Randy to buy a new oem top end at my cost, he found a bad case gasket with bar oil leaking into the crankcase. He had to split the saw and redo the bearings and gasket. My interaction with Randy was good, and we have been friends ever since. It could have easily gone the other way.

Just trying to illustrate an example of why it’s a PITA, even I did it to someone unknowingly.

If you are doing for yourself, you’ll have no issues. Pretty much why I have stopped porting saws exc for myself or close friends.

Last edited:

SpaceBus

Super OPE Member
Local time
12:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
As long as the saw is solid I don’t have a problem porting used saws. Some customers opt to have me rebuild the bottom end at the same time
I should have had you do more work, but unlike the MM saw customers I'm not blaming you. Every time I pick up the 460 I shed a tear for that poor 346 sitting in the corner. Pretty sure I stole the coil from it to use in my 460 as well.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Interesting thread.
Like everyone else, I see everything imaginable from the saw that looks like it was drug behind a skidder, to where on earth did you find an older pro saw in such wonderful condition.
I enjoy working on used saws as much as new, it is a time killer to get right. Inspection is crucial for any success.
Saws that have been repaired after a lean out, straight gas, or some other blown up event can be problematic when the bottom end wasn't taken into consideration the first time. The crankshaft and bearings having to digest shrapnel from the top end.
Then comes the price tag of righting all the wrongs. For me I'm either all in, or all out, there's usually not much middle ground to work with.
Right now depending on your favorite brand new saws and new parts can also be a problem, so it's a toss up in the "new normal."