Ported Cylinder Water Flow Tests

Rich Fife

Sally slap my ass
Local time
12:33 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Most that I have talked to said water flowing a cylinder is a waste of time... I just nod my head listening to what they have to say and continue to check flow swirls, smooth or chaotic patterns... you do you as you feel fit.. if it works who's to say it's wrong? 😅
Anyway, I believe this was the 3rd 461 that I ported... It was ported for a 32" bar... as soon as the guy got it in his hands, he tossed on a 20" bar and now he wont run any other saw. His 462s, 460s, etc all just sit there... He said this saw has increase his production by approximately 20% over his 462... His style of cutting is aggressive... and the stock 462s just fall flat on their faces in the hardwoods. But, that's Just My Opinion.

Last edited:

Paul Fithian

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
11:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I did a similar water flow test on a Mahle 44mm I just ported for a Stihl 024 AV. That saw runs excellent with this cylinder.

Last edited:

Paul Fithian

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ported a 44.7mm Mahle cylinder last night for my Stihl 024 AVS. Water flow test on transfers here:

isaaccarlson

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I love doing the water test. I could watch the flow all day.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I see which way the mineral spirits flows through them in the parts washer. It kinda always flows towards the intake, the same direction the 90 points when grinding them. I’ve never really paid it much attention. Do they get butchered up enough that it needs to be checked?

isaaccarlson

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I see which way the mineral spirits flows through them in the parts washer. It kinda always flows towards the intake, the same direction the 90 points when grinding them. I’ve never really paid it much attention. Do they get butchered up enough that it needs to be checked?
I just like running water through them when washing the cylinder.

Sierra_rider

Super OPE Member
Local time
9:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Most that I have talked to said water flowing a cylinder is a waste of time... I just nod my head listening to what they have to say and continue to check flow swirls, smooth or chaotic patterns... you do you as you feel fit.. if it works who's to say it's wrong? 😅
Anyway, I believe this was the 3rd 461 that I ported... It was ported for a 32" bar... as soon as the guy got it in his hands, he tossed on a 20" bar and now he wont run any other saw. His 462s, 460s, etc all just sit there... He said this saw has increase his production by approximately 20% over his 462... His style of cutting is aggressive... and the stock 462s just fall flat on their faces in the hardwoods. But, that's Just My Opinion.
I don't think it's the end-all, be-all to transfer flow, but I've had some revelations when water flowing cylinders. In particular the quad-port, front fed Stihls and the relation of the primaries and secondaries.

Rich Fife

Sally slap my ass
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't think it's the end-all, be-all to transfer flow, but I've had some revelations when water flowing cylinders. In particular the quad-port, front fed Stihls and the relation of the primaries and secondaries.
Agreed. For me, it has helped me pay attention to where/how the flow is directed... I've noticed changes... or at least I think I have... hell, I could be convincing myself that something is happening? (Shrugs)

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Rich Fife

Sally slap my ass
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm working out trying to read this... I'll have to come back and read it in detail. Thank you for posting that link.