Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
8:46 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was thinking ahead at the time about transpolating just how much I wanted to move the transfer ports, I knew in degrees where I wanted to end up and after just coming off of being sick with sinus pressure headache I could see giving my brain a spasm when it hit me. Duh... use your old timing indicator with an extension and just measure exactly how much that is and be shut of it. Zero the gauge, move the degree wheel from opening to proposed opening and see how far the gauge moved.
Way too easy...
IMG_20221010_211934710_HDR.jpg

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you really want to give your brain a spasm the math equations are written out in A Bells book.

I've seen 'em... :confused:
Otherwise I would look at how much the change was after the drop and use that to get a rough .000" per degree of movement.
As easy as that is, this is easier and A) no chance for math errors and B) is positively accurate and in this particular instance, didn't hurt my head one bit.
I think coming from a more hands on background the hands on approach fits nicely for me.
I can imagine someone with an engineering background like yourself would look at the problem entirely differently as you should.
Somebody with a different background may see it entirely differently again and that's OK too, as long as we all get the answer we were looking for in the first place. :)
My hopes are that someone out there might say yeah I can do that, or better yet spark an entirely new idea spun off of this one and we get something maybe even better yet. ;)

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
9:46 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've seen 'em... :confused:
Otherwise I would look at how much the change was after the drop and use that to get a rough .000" per degree of movement.
As easy as that is, this is easier and A) no chance for math errors and B) is positively accurate and in this particular instance, didn't hurt my head one bit.
I think coming from a more hands on background the hands on approach fits nicely for me.
I can imagine someone with an engineering background like yourself would look at the problem entirely differently as you should.
Somebody with a different background may see it entirely differently again and that's OK too, as long as we all get the answer we were looking for in the first place. :)
My hopes are that someone out there might say yeah I can do that, or better yet spark an entirely new idea spun off of this one and we get something maybe even better yet. ;)

I am interested in that tool and if it compensated for the plug angle?

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was thinking ahead at the time about transpolating just how much I wanted to move the transfer ports, I knew in degrees where I wanted to end up and after just coming off of being sick with sinus pressure headache I could see giving my brain a spasm when it hit me. Duh... use your old timing indicator with an extension and just measure exactly how much that is and be shut of it. Zero the gauge, move the degree wheel from opening to proposed opening and see how far the gauge moved.
Way too easy...
View attachment 351106
Nice a 441

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
6:46 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When I first started messing with saws and first joined the forum I didn't know about timing wheels...I was attempting to measure port locations in a similar way, I think based off some bike 2 stroke porting drawings I saw or something.

Last edited:

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just keep good notes, and never use a degree wheel unless a new model comes along.

Redfin

Meh...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Pics of the dumb end out of the bore Steve?

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a 441 tore apart…[emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

...I really stepped in it now. :rolleyes:
Well, it's your only chance(with me anyways) before you put it back together. Give me a holler and I can tell you what I need.