Sloa

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
4:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Asking a few questions concerning originality. I’ll attach pictures that match the things that are puzzling me and my search of information is not coming up as definitive to model/year. Sticker = model ..cylinder says and measures 52mm..carburetor only states stihl. linkage fits perfectly and operates flawlessly but wrong side and h/l and idol upside down. Original mahle cylinder/piston all magnesium handle.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 31
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    225.6 KB · Views: 28
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 23
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 25

Sloa

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Asking a few questions concerning originality. I’ll attach pictures that match the things that are puzzling me and my search of information is not coming up as definitive to model/year. Sticker = model ..cylinder says and measures 52mm..carburetor only states stihl. linkage fits perfectly and operates flawlessly but wrong side and h/l and idol upside down. Original mahle cylinder/piston all magnesium handle.
Answering my own question. Just discovered the faint outline of super on top badge. So a 52mm ported mahle cylinder matched piston in a super frame. What model is this carburetor? Seems larger, no room for securing nuts. Used filter nuts to secure? Not sure as parts were missing.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 23
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 20
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 24
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 30

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
2:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah, that's a modified saw. The carburetor looks to be a WJ, maybe from a Husqvarna application or early 064/066. It looks like the builder added a pulse nipple to the fuel pump cover. Some close-up shots of the inside of the cylinder would be interesting.

Yes, they're likely using the air filter nuts to hold the carb and everything in place.

Sloa

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
image.jpgimage.jpgYeah, that's a modified saw. The carburetor looks to be a WJ, maybe from a Husqvarna application or early 064/066. It looks like the builder added a pulse nipple to the fuel pump cover. Some close-up shots of the inside of the cylinder would be interesting.

Yes, they're likely using the air filter nuts to hold the carb and everything in place.

Sloa

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Numbers, 54tran 52 intake

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 26

Sloa

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
One more

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 29

Sloa

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ordered cylinder/piston. As well as a few other starting parts. Would you think keeping and mimic original build the way to go or go back to 72cc with carburetor to fit.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If the larger carb works and makes a runner, it should be ok. The stock carb is pretty choked down but the 038 was designed to be more of a tractor saw rather than a high-winder, similar to the Echo CS-8000. In stock form they have pretty good torque with the smaller carb.

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah, that's a modified saw. The carburetor looks to be a WJ, maybe from a Husqvarna application or early 064/066. It looks like the builder added a pulse nipple to the fuel pump cover. Some close-up shots of the inside of the cylinder would be interesting.

The "Stihl" stamped on the one cover makes me suspect the carb came from the latter application. What's your take on the massive base cut, quad finger setup, and beveled piston edges? Major woods port or competition setup?

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
5:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Answering my own question. Just discovered the faint outline of super on top badge. So a 52mm ported mahle cylinder matched piston in a super frame. What model is this carburetor? Seems larger, no room for securing nuts. Used filter nuts to secure? Not sure as parts were missing.
Did you buy that from the Facebook?

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The "Stihl" stamped on the one cover makes me suspect the carb came from the latter application. What's your take on the massive base cut, quad finger setup, and beveled piston edges? Major woods port or competition setup?

It's something funky alright - The recipe doesn't really make sense to me, especially with those sloppy fingers reaching up alongside the exhaust. It looks like the work of two different people. The 038s I've rebuilt wouldn't have needed much of a base cut since they had tight squish clearances and exhaust timing that was pretty good in stock form.

I think somebody did a decent woods port on it initially and then someone else went back into to get more out of it. It's a Canadian saw, so anything is possible.

Sloa

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Did you buy that from the Facebook?
No in a dark corner in wife’s family cabin last year. A super 797 entered my life a week later and I was hooked on McCulloch. My brother picked up a 028super from a garage sale for $20 just needing an intake boot. So while revisiting stihl I thought I would work this out. This saw was filthy green with algee and moss in cylinder.

Last edited:

Sloa

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So be the saw detective , columbo for saws. I showed what I wanted seen yesterday but one thing I did not show was the hole in air box. Put gas in tank over night to see if it leaks no leaks so worth effort to repair. Removed paint and beveled edges then cut screens front back. Applied cold weld. Happy with outcome. Slid carb on and need to ask question. Was this saw shelved because of the crazy port job or carb over tightened or sucked itself outback. Bad choice ultimately because of the corner when tightening.

Attachments

• IMG_1353.jpeg
    IMG_1353.jpeg
    114.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1350.jpeg
    IMG_1350.jpeg
    125.3 KB · Views: 9
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 11