Piston wring tool

Carhartt

Super OPE Member
Local time
3:30 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am looking for a piston wring installation and removal plier set. I am annoyed with scratching pistons and splitting finger nails. Anyone have any advice on a good universal tool? I don't mind paying for quality.

fordf150

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
@Carhartt this what your talking about?

31CZ8nOSDYL._SX355_.jpg

if so i would avoid using them. "rolling" the ring on is a better option IMHO. I have deformed rings using these because it expands the ring beyond what they were intended.

Carhartt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I believe that is along the same lines of what I am looking for. except I am looking for a tool that gets the job done and done better. Not interested in breaking or flexing wrings too far. Is that something that can be controlled with hand tension?

fordf150

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
not really. its a function of how you install the rings using a tool like that. rolling them on only opens the ring a very minimal amount...its more of a twisting of the ring than spreading it. the twisting has its own set of problems but i still feel its better than the other option.

installing rings using a tool similar to that is much worse...you have to spread the ring far enough so that it slips over the piston and the outer diameter of the ring is the same as the piston but its the inner diameter that has to slip over the piston so its actaully spreading the ring allot.