High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Picked up a couple of brand new Stihls today...

BonScott46

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:36 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Picked up a 261 and 462 today from the dealer in town. Guy starts the 261 and says it needs to idle for 30 seconds on choke to 'calibrate' and then after what seemed like less than 30 seconds he proceeds to pin the throttle. After about 10 seconds I try to get his attention and tell him to stop but he continues for what seemed like over a minute. I mean he just pinned it for what seemed like forever and made like 6 or 7 lines of oil on a piece of wood (I notice at home that the oiler was turned all the way down and the clutch cover is on finger tight). By the time he turns it off and hands it to me the thing is *f-wording hot. Is it just me or is that exactly what you are not supposed to do with a new saw? Needless to say I did not let him touch the 462.

AlfA01

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
7:36 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Guys here want to do the same thing with all MT Stihls. They say that's what Stihl told them to do. Idle 30 then WOT 30 or there abouts.

I've not let them put gas in any more of the saws I'm getting. Just tell em to wrap it up and let me have it.

Warped5

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:36 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
(As a guy working in a dealership ...)

Yes, we're supposed to run them to verify oiler function. Usually just takes 15 seconds to do so. Yes, they come from the factory turned way down.

.... but only the commercial guys buy the MT saws and they know to 'run it like you stole it' in the wood.

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
He thought letting it idle for 30 seconds calibrated it and the lifetime at WOT was to check the oiler.

IKR, LMAO!!!!!

Dealers tell customers all kinds of crap. My dealer tells people to fill the saw up with gas and let it idle a full tank to break it in.

My friend bought an 880 from them and followed this procedure. He called me and asked me if there was a problem with the saw because oil was coming out of the muffler; I bet the muffler was half full of unburnt oil after idling for 4 hours or more....

DND 9000

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@BonScott46

This is the newer calibration method, mostly for m-tronic v.3. As I know, up to now the MS 261 has no m-tronic v.3. For the engine it is no problem, during the test run in the factory they also get a short warm up time and then full throttle.

Last edited:

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would have demanded a to be handed a different NIB untouched 261!

Evansaw

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
He thought letting it idle for 30 seconds calibrated it and the lifetime at WOT was to check the oiler.

Well for mtronic v3 procedure is 30sec fast idle and 60sec full throttle then immediately shut off
Actually you hear/see the saw calibrating by lowering rpms and when back to full it’s set.
Might sound weird but it’s ok.

Wonder why they calibrated a new in box saw though, on the other hand you ll have to go through calibration many times so get over it.

BonScott46

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Put a couple of tanks through the 261 today and I have to say I am not all that impressed so far. The power is ok but it takes 4-5 pulls if it has sat for more than 1-2 minutes and the throttle response is shockingly bad. The 462 on the other hand is impressive right out of the box, put 4 tanks through it and can't wait to put 400 more through it. Starts first pull even if it has sat for 5+ minutes and the throttle response is crisp to say the least. Definitely handles like a 60cc IMO.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
12:36 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is the 261 ver1 or ver2? Or traditional carbed?

Some have mentioned letting it idle for about 10 seconds prior to shutting it down. Not sure what you have or are doing. Just mentioning in passing to maybe help.

BonScott46

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is the 261 ver1 or ver2? Or traditional carbed?

Some have mentioned letting it idle for about 10 seconds prior to shutting it down. Not sure what you have or are doing. Just mentioning in passing to maybe help.
V.2 m-tronic. I let it idle a bit before shutting it off. It bogs pretty bad off idle as well. I did the 5 cuts at WOT but it did not help.

BangBang77

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I would do a reset or recalibration. You have to follow the version 2 recalibration.

Agreed. I would surmise that something isn't right with your calibration.

From the first moment I fired up my 261, I was impressed. Even more so after a muffler mod and a few tanks of fuel through her. Everyone that runs it is amazed by it. No port job, not custom work other than a muff mod. I have well north of 50 tanks through my first one and wouldn't trade it for anything.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
12:36 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They are very nice!!!

Evansaw

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
V.2 m-tronic. I let it idle a bit before shutting it off. It bogs pretty bad off idle as well. I did the 5 cuts at WOT but it did not help.

V2 m tronic

Warm up your saw

Then Start at fast idle and without touching throttle let it there for 90sec and shut off. Saw is calibrated.

No 5 cuts no wot no anything. Really who gives you this advices?

261 is the finest 50cc saw. You ll enjoy it.

Evansaw

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Agreed. I would surmise that something isn't right with your calibration.

From the first moment I fired up my 261, I was impressed. Even more so after a muffler mod and a few tanks of fuel through her. Everyone that runs it is amazed by it. No port job, not custom work other than a muff mod. I have well north of 50 tanks through my first one and wouldn't trade it for anything.

Got two MMWS 261’s. By far the best saws in my arsenal

All of my friends who got stock or just MM 261’s are impressed

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
IKR, LMAO!!!!!

Dealers tell customers all kinds of crap. My dealer tells people to fill the saw up with gas and let it idle a full tank to break it in.

My friend bought an 880 from them and followed this procedure. He called me and asked me if there was a problem with the saw because oil was coming out of the muffler; I bet the muffler was half full of unburnt oil after idling for 4 hours or more....

So when did you get an 880?

BonScott46

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
V2 m tronic

Warm up your saw

Then Start at fast idle and without touching throttle let it there for 90sec and shut off. Saw is calibrated.

No 5 cuts no wot no anything. Really who gives you this advices?

261 is the finest 50cc saw. You ll enjoy it.
The 5 cuts is what it says in the manual. There is nothing else about the mtronic system and calibration.