Country flag

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
10:21 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They are good. So is LOPI. They both operate pretty similarly.

hseII

AKA - Karenberly's Husband
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looking at possibly getting this as opposed to a wood burning stove insert. It is my understanding that this is supposed to be similar in operation to a wood burning stove/ stove insert. I currently have a majestic mbu42 which is nothing but a heat wasting piece of crap. Will this in the attached link be just as much of a waste.

https://www.pacificenergy.net/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2020/07/11900067-FP25-LE-1.pdf

What’s the cost on that unit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

kfd518

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:21 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not sure on cost yet. Haven’t gotten that far been running like crazy at work to get things fixed from that storm between broken trucks and NFPA 1851 compliance we’ve gotten it handed to us.

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I can't offer advice on that unit, but I have been using a P.E. T-6 Alderlae free-standing stove for a decade now, burning (on average) about 50% Hedge, and a mixture of everything else. On the whole, I'm pretty happy with it, and it's paid for itself several times over in energy savings. A few things I don't like: The channel on the door for the rope seal sucks, and I tend to go through a rope seal per season (3 cords average). Also, it doesn't like burning pure Hedge, it doesn't flow enough air throttled down, so you'll end up with clinkers. You can run the throttle up, but then you lose a good deal of burn time. During the coldest parts of the season or under 20°F, it may run for a week or two without stopping. The ash drawer is very helpful, but I've had to shovel out live coals to make room for fresh wood. Once the active fire burns out to coals, you lose roughly 2/3 of the useful heat output, as you no longer have the active primary or secondary fires for heat. This make for very pronounced Dip or fluctuation in the felt heat output in the room. It's not the end of the world, but I do think that the Cat stoves don't suffer this as much. Lastly, the wood HAS to be less than 20% moisture, preferably around 15% or less. Any more than 20, and it'll smolder for a good time, sooting up your chimney, before it eventually catches.

Would I buy it again? Most likely Yes. But, I'd also strongly consider a Buck, Lopi, Jotul, Vermont Castings, or Woodstock Soap Stone.

Those are my 0.02...

ericm

Active OPE Member
Local time
7:21 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We had something similar to your current fireplace. What a horrible piece of *s-word. Burning wood in it made the house colder. It was too small for an insert. We replaced it with a Flame Monaco zero clearance stove. Not the fanciest but it works great. Like a lot of EPA stoves it needs dry wood. But except for initial startup and getting a new load going it emits no visible smoke. It produces enough heat to keep our not very well insulated 2500 sqft house warm down to outside temps in the mid 30s, and it's not often that cold here.

Most of the expense was replacing the entire old hearth and stove pipe and reframing that part of the wall so the new stove could sit back inset into the wall instead of sticking out into the room like the old one did.

If there'd been space I'd have preferred a regular stove but there wasn't.

mmanders21

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I have the FP30 unit, one size larger than the link. This is much different than an insert. An insert goes in an old masonry fireplace. A zero clearance unit is just framed in to the room. Do you have a masonry fireplace? My PF FB30 heats awesome but likes wood. In my opinion, the best option for heat is a free standing stove. Mike

ElevatorGuy

It’s up and down ;)
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was told you can’t put a insert in where a zero clearance fireplace is/was. That’s why I went free standing in another room. Was also told since I don’t have a masonry chimney that I couldn’t do an insert. From that link it looks like that unit could’ve replaced my worthless fireplace.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes it could have.

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I need to pay attention here. Been running an antique Fisher insert for like ever.