10:04 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So, it sounds like:
- you want to file the top plate and side plate separately;
- you want to use round files;
- you want to do this consistently.

A Granberg File-N-Joint might be the tool. You can lower the file to get the side plate only, and raise it for the top plate. And you can dial in the settings for consistency.

Maybe clear out the gullets first to provide working room. Different files for side and top plates?

Good point about the point on full chisel, round filed chain.

Philbert

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
8:04 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Square is da best. For grins I later filed that cutter square with a regular square file (not saw file)

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have an granberg I got with the hope of using it for square with triangle file…never got a round tuit

HumBurner

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You haven't tested that set of angles in wood, have you? My guess is the bites will be too big, especially without adjusting the depth gague, and you will find the cut to be slow(er) with more vibration in the hands.

Are you starting with semi chisel or full chisel chain?

Semi chisel may respond a little better as the point doesn't do so much of the cutting, but the plates do. I could even see where this would have potential for a milling grind where there is often an excess of power per cutter, being able to take a larger bite without slamming the points in and dulling them down.

Maybe I'm off-base.....?

HumBurner

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So, it sounds like:
- you want to file the top plate and side plate separately;
- you want to use round files;
- you want to do this consistently.

A Granberg File-N-Joint might be the tool. You can lower the file to get the side plate only, and raise it for the top plate. And you can dial in the settings for consistency.

Philbert

Always the option of using a larger file to hit both/all at the same time.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You haven't tested that set of angles in wood, have you? My guess is the bites will be too big, especially without adjusting the depth gague, and you will find the cut to be slow(er) with more vibration in the hands.

Are you starting with semi chisel or full chisel chain?

Semi chisel may respond a little better as the point doesn't do so much of the cutting, but the plates do. I could even see where this would have potential for a milling grind where there is often an excess of power per cutter, being able to take a larger bite without slamming the points in and dulling them down.

Maybe I'm off-base.....?
No I haven’t tried it yet.

started with full chisel. Square usually vibes less and rakers can be dropped more.