Oregon quality control?

Backtroller

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:12 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So I just wrapped up a rebuild on a MS260 and tried it out. I was surprised how rough feeling it was in the cut. I took a look at the chain and noticed this 71FDE314-A801-4407-81E2-054BC0FD46D3.jpegfour of the cutters are facing the wrong way. All four are in a row. It didn’t help that I hit a little dirt too 99D5A2FE-8038-4448-9A0B-DBF2CDB91190.jpegI bought it as a combo from a member here or on AS (it is not their fault obviously)9B7E9EA0-5AE6-4720-91B5-F704E16DD096.jpeg

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
8:12 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'd wager that this has little to nothing to do with Oregon.

Seller of B&C had an off day spinning that loop.

Not the first nor the last spinning mishap.

Funny and cool though.
Sell it for twice the price as a special chain that can cut both ways. ;)

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If You say so, but kinda doubtful.
Do all the rivets look alike?
It is a custom made loop if not.

Should be an easy fix if You have access to a breaker & spinner. :)

If it were a Vanguard loop I'd say sharpen the funky rakers and lower the teeth on those reverse links. :p

I find this funny, I might even keep the loop as is as a conversation starter. :D

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
First picture, if I see it correctly there are extra tie straps/links on both ends of the reversed section - dead giveaway for a custom spun loop as far as I am concerned.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Like for the Stihl comment. :)

I don't think Oregon did that! ;)

Although I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time either. o_O

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So I just wrapped up a rebuild on a MS260 and tried it out. I was surprised how rough feeling it was in the cut. I took a look at the chain and noticed this View attachment 242588four of the cutters are facing the wrong way. All four are in a row. It didn’t help that I hit a little dirt too View attachment 242589I bought it as a combo from a member here or on AS (it is not their fault obviously)View attachment 242590

That looks like some crap @Hedgerow would custom build just for me, LOL

“How’s that chain cutting Thomas??? Bwahahaha!!!”

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:12 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's an Oregon onoff multicut type chain. It was designed to be versatile to homeowners that regularly fit their chain backwards as you technically can't fit the chain wrong with this chain & while you have a rough ride, it will sorta kinda cut if your committed enough & persist. Oregon knows the extremes a homeowner will go to pushing a rocked chain through wood.

ucm931

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:12 AM
User ID
Reaction score
The rivets on the extra tie strap in second photo don't look factory made to me.
That's what I thought when he first posted the pics, but figured I'd keep my trap shut since I've never handled home spun loops....that I know of. lol

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A few years ago I was feeling frugal and bought some .325 Narrow Kerf chains off eBay. Some were 'used once, never sharpened'; some were 'new old stock' (NOS). They were a good deal, at about $6 to $7 per loop, including shipping. I guess that these do not sell as well as other sizes, as both sellers contacted me, asking if I wanted more.

I took one of the NOS chains, still in the box, to a GTG, where I was going to compare it with a new Oregon NK chain, and a used, but sharpened Carlton one for reference. I was slightly embarassed that I mounted it on my saw backwards, but everybody has done that. So I took it off and mounted it the 'other way', only to find out that it was still wrong. It was exactly like the one shown, with about 4 or 6 cutters backwards.

Apparently, somebody had tried to use up a short piece of chain, or make a larger loop, made a mistake, and placed it on a shelf. It stayed there until this eBay seller bought out the shop inventory when it closed. I don't think that he knew either - probably did not look that close.

Easy fix when I got home, but a surprise in the field.

Philbert

mikefunaro

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
2:12 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have been having issues with oregon gator blades being bent symmetrically from the factory. Some of them rock as much as 1/4" side to side. I call oregon and they send me more but its getting annoying that multiple batches over multiple years have been bent.