Oil leaks on John Deere LX172 Kawasaki 14 HP FC420V Engine

GBertolet

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
9:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's my brother's mower. It leaks oil profusely from underneath. I suspect it is the bottom crankshaft seal. Does anyone know if this seal can be installed from the outside, rather than have to tear the casing apart to replace it? A complete gasket set for this engine, AM130362, costs $95, which I will need to disassemble the casing, while the bottom seal alone is $5, which is a more desirable outcome. Those John Deere parts are sure expensive.

P.M.P.

Stiff Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's my brother's mower. It leaks oil profusely from underneath. I suspect it is the bottom crankshaft seal. Does anyone know if this seal can be installed from the outside, rather than have to tear the casing apart to replace it? A complete gasket set for this engine, AM130362, costs $95, which I will need to disassemble the casing, while the bottom seal alone is $5, which is a more desirable outcome. Those John Deere parts are sure expensive.
I have a Kohler command that was doing the same thing. I put a bottle of motor honey with the stop leak in it. Took a little bit but hasn't leaked agsin. That was at least five years ago.
Worked for me

KennyWinCT

Kens Small Engines
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Should be remove and replace externally. Easiest with the motor out of the tractor.

upload_2020-7-22_15-6-15.png

upload_2020-7-22_15-17-40.png

Looks like externally installed to me!

Last edited:

GBertolet

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I hope you are right Kenny, and it sure looks like you are. The parts salesman at the John Deere dealership, said he believes you have to disassemble the whole engine to replace the seal. I see that opinion was wrong now. Much confusion on the part number. Many different crank seal part numbers listed for the same model engine from various sources. I ordered #92049-2227 for my FC420V- AS10 version. I think the AS10 is an oddball, that may require a different seal than the other FC420V engines.

Last edited:

KennyWinCT

Kens Small Engines
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I hope you are right Kenny, and it sure looks like you are. The parts salesman at the John Deere dealership, said he believes you have to disassemble the whole engine to replace the seal. I see that opinion was wrong now. Much confusion on the part number. Many different crank seal part numbers listed for the same model engine from various sources. I ordered #92049-2227 for my FC420V- AS10 version. I think the AS10 is an oddball, that may require a different seal than the other FC420V engines.
Looks like you ordered the right seal from what I can gather from the parts breakdown.

GBertolet

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Engine all done, with no leaks. Took much longer to remove the engine from the mower, than to replace the seal. Now to address the surging engine, at no load. An old pre existing issue, I am finally getting around to address, likely with restricted passages in the carb.