North Carolina

Funky sawman

Pony Power
Local time
8:56 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just wondering if there is a few folks that live in NC on this site. Been thinken of moving waaaayyy back there, i dont have a location in mind, but would like to have mountains around, race tracks, shooting ranges, mud bogs and small engine mechanic jobs nearby. I have never been east of S. Illinois, and have lived in north idaho for most of my life.
Thanks in advance.

Jimmy in NC

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:56 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You’ll want to stay in the western area from hickory back towards Tennessee.
Doing that seriously limits job opportunities and the pay. I grew up in Oak Ridge / Greensboro and live in the Raleigh area now. I've been in Raleigh for 20 years. I can be in the mountains in 3 hrs; the coast in under 2. Lee county mud bogs is an hour from me. Buscoe Beach off road is just under and hour. Uwharrie National Forest has lots of great ORV trails at 1.5 hrs away. Some of the best long range shooting is up in Creedmore.

Raleigh is one of the best places to be in the country. Lots of growth and wages are fair. Western NC is where my wife is from; Canton to be exact. Pay and living over there is much lower.

Feel free to PM and Ill give you my phone number. Ill be glad to discuss my opinion.

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Doing that seriously limits job opportunities and the pay. I grew up in Oak Ridge / Greensboro and live in the Raleigh area now. I've been in Raleigh for 20 years. I can be in the mountains in 3 hrs; the coast in under 2. Lee county mud bogs is an hour from me. Buscoe Beach off road is just under and hour. Uwharrie National Forest has lots of great ORV trails at 1.5 hrs away. Some of the best long range shooting is up in Creedmore.

Raleigh is one of the best places to be in the country. Lots of growth and wages are fair. Western NC is where my wife is from; Canton to be exact. Pay and living over there is much lower.

Feel free to PM and Ill give you my phone number. Ill be glad to discuss my opinion.

That’s very true. Asheville if you’re into micro breweries has a hundred of them seems like. It’s expensive to live in town and not much industry. You could cross over into Upstate SC and check it out too. Lots of mountains and cheaper to live in some areas off the big lakes.

Slacker

Hunny Locust Skipchain Sparker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
North Durham here, close to Duke.
I like the RDU area, lots of Universities and industry but you can be in BFE in 40 mins.
Old tobacco barns, lots of farms etc.

cuinrearview

Unskilled Hammer Donkey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Eastern TN/Western NC is one of my favorite parts of the country. That said, financial opportunities are a bit "sparse". There is plenty of industry in the Knoxville metroplex though over on the TN side. As @mdavlee pointed out, Asheville is a great beer city. The last time I was in Knoxville their beer scene impressed me too. If you have good beer, good BBQ, good people and great scenery; what more could you ask for?

Ronie

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I live in SE NC and I agree with cuinrearview and mdavlee., the western part of the state is the nicest area to live in.

Jimmy in NC

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
North Durham here, close to Duke.
I like the RDU area, lots of Universities and industry but you can be in BFE in 40 mins.
Old tobacco barns, lots of farms etc.
I'll be up at Hillandale and Horton all of next week.

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Lived in New Bern on the coast when I was stationed at MCAS Cherry Point back in my mid-80's/early 90's Corps days. Nice place to live...damn good fishing/hunting, crazy good seafood/bbq joints, wild gals were a dime a dozen back in those days, etc, etc. Of course you'd have to do some driving to see that mountain scenery, but it ain't no crazy long drive.

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You got great bbq though. I gotta make it myself up here. I still dont have a good mustard sauce.
Martin's Famous BBQ Sauce here in GA...one of the finest mustard/vinegar based sauces you can get a dollar on...outstanding marinating/grilling/slow smoking/mopping sauce. I used to buy it by the 4-gal cases. This recipe has been around for many decades, albeit owned by different family members over the decades, it has never changed. I believe the recipe and manufacturing of the sauce was last sold in 2010 to Ira and Sherry Sumner in Thomaston, GA. Try these numbers...(706)975-9010 or (706)646-2100.

Marshy

WFO Cutting
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I was just in SC this past weekend. My SIL move there and got married, we were in Spartanburg. Nice area but not sure what is in that area for work. I was looking at land for sale just for kicks. They arnt giving it away but I hear the taxes are low... lots of large farm lands being divided near the SC/NC boarder north of Boiling Springs. If our wonderful Gov keeps up the hard work I'll be thinking more about relocating as well.

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was just in SC this past weekend. My SIL move there and got married, we were in Spartanburg. Nice area but not sure what is in that area for work. I was looking at land for sale just for kicks. They arnt giving it away but I hear the taxes are low... lots of large farm lands being divided near the SC/NC boarder north of Boiling Springs. If our wonderful Gov keeps up the hard work I'll be thinking more about relocating as well.
What was it that crazy ass SlowP used to say all the time on Ass Site years ago..."Don't move here'... lmao

Last edited:

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I went through N C this summer from a trip to and from Charleston SC .It's a beautiful state ,a tad bit hilly .--well that's kind of an under statement .:)

Jimmy in NC

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I went through N C this summer from a trip to and from Charleston SC .It's a beautiful state ,a tad bit hilly .--well that's kind of an under statement .:)
Depends what part you are in. I am just over a hundred miles from the coast and only 300' above sea level. I am right on the edge of mild hills and watch your dog run away for 3 days.

cuinrearview

Unskilled Hammer Donkey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Martin's Famous BBQ Sauce here in GA...one of the finest mustard/vinegar based sauces you can get a dollar on...outstanding marinating/grilling/slow smoking/mopping sauce. I used to buy it by the 4-gal cases. This recipe has been around for many decades, albeit owned by different family members over the decades, it has never changed. I believe the recipe and manufacturing of the sauce was last sold in 2010 to Ira and Sherry Sumner in Thomaston, GA. Try these numbers...(706)975-9010 or (706)646-2100.
They publish them on line!?!??

Is this the one?

https://potatorolls.com/recipes/south-carolina-bbq-sauce/

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Ronie

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The Eastern BBQ sauce they have posted is about the same as the one my family uses.

Cup White Vinegar
Cup Cider Vinegar
Tablespoon Brown Sugar
Tablespoon Cayenne Pepper
Tablespoon Hot Pepper Sauce (e.g., Tabasco), or to taste
Teaspoon Salt
Teaspoon Black Pepper

Ronie

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Can't open the link here at work...I'll have to check it when I get home. If I had to blindly bet the farm, I would doubt this recipe is the same as Martin's...but it could be something close.
This is the one they have posted.

½
Cup Yellow Mustard
½
Cup Brown Sugar
¼
Cup White Vinegar
Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 ½
Teaspoons Hot Sauce (e.g. Tabasco)
Teaspoon Salt
Teaspoon Black Pepper